Smithsonian magazine article on history of electric guitar
Aram Jahn
2015-03-02 21:44:55 UTC
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/electric-guitars-long-and-louder-strange-trip-180954193/?no-ist
Neil
2015-03-02 23:29:17 UTC
Post by Aram Jahn
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/electric-guitars-long-and-louder-strange-trip-180954193/?no-ist
Interesting article, not only for what it includes, but for those
guitars that were glossed over or didn't get mentioned.

Thanks for posting the link!
--
best regards,

Neil
jtees4
2015-03-02 23:46:01 UTC
Post by Aram Jahn
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/electric-guitars-long-and-louder-strange-trip-180954193/?no-ist
Interesting. Unfortunately you can't have a one page article on
electric guitar history and not leave out a lot more than you put in.
I would have liked to see Bigsby guitars before Fender because a lot
was borrowed from his design (both Leo Fender and eventually Les Paul
admit to this). Mosrite also and of course maybe 10 other
companies...but oh well.
Flasherly
2015-03-03 10:01:18 UTC
Post by Aram Jahn
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/electric-guitars-long-and-louder-strange-trip-180954193/?no-ist
The electric guitar never was iconic, nor, particularly, the classical
cat-gut of Smithsonian's author and understudy, Monica, 'grew up on.'

The classical guitar was considered something of an oddball, which
didn't fit, come into its own, within a light and reinvention of
Western music, for orchestral purposes until well along and into a
more advanced timeframe of classicism;- rather, it was considered
suitable accompaniment for activities conducted in bordellos, or a
whorehouse, Monica, and not something casually, rather, considered for
placement alongside (or within) the orchestral pit.

A suitable beginning, if not an entertaining one, when tampering irony
to a tooth-&-nail resiliency, trackrecord and tradition for "the
Darkies" to electrify, perhaps in less than imaginable mannerisms, or
at least not until more widely adapted by white middle-class youth,
for an initial if not lingering [dis]regard as a troublesome rout of
lyrically inclined instigators.

Nevertheless, a weighted fulcrum of gargantuan powered awareness, I'd
at least consider, to furthermore establishing the electric within the
broader contemporary fabric of awareness, than might previous notables
have propagated from a Swing and the Big Band era;- of course, most
notably for interceding propitiously to television's inauguration and
an early historicism, such as Ed Sullivan exemplified -- covering his
ears in apparent dismay to either an amplified Beatles, Stones, or
Doors -- as the electric guitar could in no fairer sense be considered
culpable of other than naturally surmounting an obstacle to screaming,
barbaric hordes of sexually repressed 12-year-old girls unleashed upon
television's audience studio set.

That 'Leo Fender wasn't, actually, a fan of Rock'n'Roll, but preferred
C&W,' perhaps boded, earlier along, Monica, what inasmuch is to
stylistic aggravations, bounding intrepidly in what might either an
burgeoning musical industry, or society, apparently impose,
stylistically speaking, upon a continued backlash of artistic
creativity, in any exacting sense of umbrage that it's directed upon
for being considered, actually, so contained.

All apart the mechanics of construction, evolution and stylistic
efficiency to porting a stringed lyre, largely once monks fondly
dallied and played with, of course, into a medium of frenzied
electricity given our present Muses;- you'll forgive me these few
wandering considerations with utmost humility I only thought to
interject.
LULU
2015-03-03 14:04:38 UTC
Post by Flasherly
Post by Aram Jahn
[...]
=================================

Thanks for the insight about guitar accompaniment and whorehouse activities. BTW . . . monks are well known for fondly dallying and playing with various things . . . both stringed and not.

Lulu ; )

=================================
Flasherly
2015-03-04 04:05:49 UTC
Post by Neil
Thanks
for the insight about guitar accompaniment and whorehouse activities.
BTW . . . monks are well known for fondly dallying and playing with
various things . . . both stringed and not.

--
Probably be Segovia who is most credited for bringing the guitar into
modern recognition for an instrument worthy of reproducing serious

Perhaps a disregard given a long Arabic assimilation of Spanish
culture, allied Moroccan and African influences, from where all the
best guitars first emerged;- perhaps a disregard for gypsies who first
played them in traveling.

Although a "womanly" instrument, little doubt, immediately meant to be
physically engaged -- cradled and sat on one's lap and caressed and
coaxed to sweet musings and excited aspirations -- unlike strings
interrupted by cantilevers of hammers and keys to pound out the
mechanism of music from atop a piano.
LULU
2015-03-04 13:50:29 UTC
Post by LULU
Post by Neil
[...]
===========================

Plus 1 on Segovia and "gypsy guitarists". I think that Fernando Sor gave the acoustic or classical guitar it's biggest boost as a legit instrument. Paganini wrote many pieces for guitar and wasn't a slouch either.

Lulu : )

Fernando Sor - Study op. 6 n. 11

Paganini: Caprice No.24 - Kenny Chan

===========================
Flasherly
2015-03-04 15:43:25 UTC
On Wed, 4 Mar 2015 05:50:29 -0800 (PST), LULU <***@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Plus 1 on Segovia and "gypsy guitarists". I think that Fernando Sor
gave the acoustic or classical guitar it's biggest boost as a legit
instrument. Paganini wrote many pieces for guitar and wasn't a slouch
either.

-
Plus 1 on Fernando Sor. That's one you sure nailed. Sor's relevancy
is highest among a go-to guitar composers for classicists. I'd place
Coste Napoleon alongside closest to him, personally, as well to
include Francisco Tarrega, Sylvius Leopold Weiss, Carcassi Matteo, and
Francisco Tarrega.

Pulling up 50 to 100 guitar relevant compositions in association to
any given name is some accomplishment;- that they sound musically
rich, played -- tonally interesting and fluid, challenging and
instructive -- certainly may not be said always true from huge
collections of available guitar music. ...Between what from another
composer* is being transcribed to guitar, stylistic intent and
popularity within a given time, if not individual intent, and -
ultimately, what suits you.

* This is a quick directory copy & paste, offhand, of 8 gigabyte of
classic guitar works available on PDF;- not saying it's easy to find,
tho' might at one time have been posted, compressed and available for
download, under a name such as _Classical Guitar Compilations_. **
(Apart from being marvelous, splitting it up for hyperlinks, hmm, HTML
coherency for any given site, well, I wouldn't care to be pulling my
hair, especially, as the one doing it. ...Eh, distracts from all the
work I might better apply to gathering musical theory.)

**
<DIR> Children's corner
<DIR> Etudes (.25G)
<DIR> Exercises, Literature (2.5G)
<DIR> Lute, theorbo tabulatures (1G)
<DIR> Solo, chamber and other repertoire (2.5G)
445,875,408 1 guitar solo 1700-1800.pdf
226,615,744 1 guitar solo 1900-2000.pdf
650,890,664 1 guitar solo.pdf
193,605,995 1, 2, 4 guitars concertos.pdf
72,658,532 2 guitars (transcriptions).pdf
26,504,675 3, 4 guitars ensembles.pdf
160,689,761 guitar and voice.pdf
Pudentame
2015-03-05 02:43:54 UTC
Post by Aram Jahn
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/electric-guitars-long-and-louder-strange-trip-180954193/?no-ist
The real problem with the article is that it doesn't give any
information about the exibition it's supposed to be promoting. There's
nothing to give when & where if anyone wanted to make a visit to the
Smithsonian to see it.
jtees4
2015-03-03 18:36:09 UTC
Post by Aram Jahn
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/electric-guitars-long-and-louder-strange-trip-180954193/?no-ist
There is a book out there called The Strat in The Attic....I read it a
few years ago and it is an incredible book for anyone who is
interested in the history of the ealry solid body guitar years. I
don't even remember who wrote it, but highly recommended.
Neil Gould
2015-03-03 21:17:18 UTC
Post by jtees4
There is a book out there called The Strat in The Attic....I read it a
few years ago and it is an incredible book for anyone who is
interested in the history of the ealry solid body guitar years. I
don't even remember who wrote it, but highly recommended.
That's Deke Dickerson's book. He now has a second version that I hope to get
around to this year.

http://www.dekedickerson.com/
--
best regards,

Neil
LULU
2015-03-04 14:26:29 UTC
Post by jtees4
There is a book out there called The Strat in The Attic....I read it a
few years ago and it is an incredible book for anyone who is
interested in the history of the ealry solid body guitar years. I
don't even remember who wrote it, but highly recommended.
That's Deke Dickerson's book. He now has a second version that I hope to get
around to this year.
http://www.dekedickerson.com/
--
best regards,
Neil
=============================

Deke Dickerson cut a few tracks with what remains of The Trashmen a couple years ago. Deke always seems to have a thing for the weird and bizarre.

Lulu : )

Fully-dosed and dancing . . .

=============================
jtees4
2015-03-04 14:32:57 UTC
Post by jtees4
There is a book out there called The Strat in The Attic....I read it a
few years ago and it is an incredible book for anyone who is
interested in the history of the ealry solid body guitar years. I
don't even remember who wrote it, but highly recommended.
That's Deke Dickerson's book. He now has a second version that I hope to get
around to this year.
http://www.dekedickerson.com/
I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. The only downside to his
book was, it pisses me off that he was able to buy all this incredible
and in some cases very expensive stuff....but it was fascinating to
read about it.
Neil Gould
2015-03-05 13:08:07 UTC
Post by jtees4
Post by Neil Gould
Post by jtees4
There is a book out there called The Strat in The Attic....I read
it a few years ago and it is an incredible book for anyone who is
interested in the history of the ealry solid body guitar years. I
don't even remember who wrote it, but highly recommended.
That's Deke Dickerson's book. He now has a second version that I
hope to get around to this year.
http://www.dekedickerson.com/
I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. The only downside to his
book was, it pisses me off that he was able to buy all this incredible
and in some cases very expensive stuff....but it was fascinating to
read about it.
I haven't read the second book, but he didn't own most of the guitars in the
first one. The book is made up of stories by and about the owners of those
guitars. I learned a lot about some very interesting people in that book!
--
best regards,

Neil
jtees4
2015-03-05 13:53:06 UTC
Post by jtees4
Post by Neil Gould
Post by jtees4
There is a book out there called The Strat in The Attic....I read
it a few years ago and it is an incredible book for anyone who is
interested in the history of the ealry solid body guitar years. I
don't even remember who wrote it, but highly recommended.
That's Deke Dickerson's book. He now has a second version that I
hope to get around to this year.
http://www.dekedickerson.com/
I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. The only downside to his
book was, it pisses me off that he was able to buy all this incredible
and in some cases very expensive stuff....but it was fascinating to
read about it.
I haven't read the second book, but he didn't own most of the guitars in the
first one. The book is made up of stories by and about the owners of those
guitars. I learned a lot about some very interesting people in that book!
I don't remember much about it other than all the cool guitar stories.
I thought in the end he bid on and won an auction or auctions for some
of his most sought after guitars.....My memory is a bit fuzzy, might
even be worth reading again one of these days.
Neil Gould
2015-03-05 21:44:23 UTC
Post by Neil Gould
Post by jtees4
On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 16:17:18 -0500, "Neil Gould"
On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 13:44:55 -0800 (PST), Aram Jahn
Post by jtees4
Post by Neil Gould
Post by jtees4
Post by Neil Gould
[...]
I think you have the general idea, Deke owns a few of them but there are a
lot of stories about a lot of guitars in the book.
--
best regards,

Neil
Pt
2015-03-04 17:37:29 UTC
Post by jtees4
There is a book out there called The Strat in The Attic....I read it a
few years ago and it is an incredible book for anyone who is
interested in the history of the ealry solid body guitar years. I
don't even remember who wrote it, but highly recommended.
That's Deke Dickerson's book. He now has a second version that I hope to get
around to this year.
http://www.dekedickerson.com/
--
best regards,
Neil
Great pictures.
Thank you.

Pt
Pudentame
2015-03-05 02:55:12 UTC
Post by jtees4
Post by Aram Jahn
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/electric-guitars-long-and-louder-strange-trip-180954193/?no-ist
There is a book out there called The Strat in The Attic....I read it a
few years ago and it is an incredible book for anyone who is
interested in the history of the ealry solid body guitar years. I
don't even remember who wrote it, but highly recommended.
There's an extended preview on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Strat-Attic-Thrilling-Stories-Archaeology/dp/0760343853#reader_0760343853

I'm basically avoiding reading it because I'm certain it'll bring me
down.

When I was 15 I had a chance to buy an amp & guitar from a friend of
my dad's who was quitting music ... married & had a kid I think.

Anyway, he wanted $50 for the amp and $150 for the guitar. I never
even looked at the guitar, but I bought the amp. It was a 57 Fender
Tweed Deluxe.

I kept the amp for several years and later sold it for $50, not
realizing what I had.

Years later, when I finally did understand how badly I'd EFFED-UP, I
also got to wondering just what that guitar I'd blown off might have
been?

I'm guessing it was more likely to have been a mid-50s Telecaster
rather than a Strat, just because I have a vague memory that he told
me he played in a Country band.

But I'll never know.