In your opinion: The Music* Died when...
:-)
2009-10-14 08:56:01 UTC
In your opinion: The Music Died when...

What?

I'll start by saying that I think we all have an inherent bias FOR
music* having been "alive" when
we ourselves personally felt that way, whether chronologically or fill
in the _______.

Past that, there's some objectivity.

Now given that noone reading was playing a woodwind in an orchestra
during the first half of
the 20th century, I'll state my personal "baby boom" opinion...(I was
born in early 1957).

I think music died in "our" lifetimes when Funk fell to Disco.

It was sometime in the early 1980's.

MTV's birth was music's* death.

When keyboard synthesizers took over the Bass.

Then ate the horn section.

Then looped and in came electronic looped drum and percussion (right
down to hand claps).

It was when "vocalists" became "musicians" in the eyes/ears and minds
of
music "product" buyers- vinyl died, tape tied, CD's came and (have now
died)
... Cher...Madonna...Pink...Lady GAGA... vomit.

Video games. Shorter and shorter attention spans.

When goofy shit show "rock" like "Kiss" competed for
adolescent hormone ears with AC/DC and

YES...Steely Dan...Weather Report...Brand X...Gentle Giant
got drop kicked.

Music* died...imo.

Here's to-

MANY MANY MANY more besides

Rory Gallagher (RIP)
Aimee Mann
Deborah Coleman
Drive By Truckers
Jean Luc Ponty
John Gorka
James Brown's guitarist's: Jimmy Nolan, Catfish Collins
P-Funk
Joe Bonnamassa
Roy Buchanan
Danny Gatton
Popa Chubby
Philly Funk (of all kinds)
Stax Records / Steve Cropper
Motown's musicians behind the scene
Chicago & Texas Blues
'70's Prog Rock / YES and Steely Dan

Now you...what's your opinion?
Jack the Rippa'
2009-10-14 11:25:39 UTC
It got sick with disco and went into intensive care and a coma with (C)Rap.
It's on life support with rockabilly right now.
The world wide web and file sharing are poised to deliver the final blow.
;+)
Now you...what's your opinion?
Dr. Zontar
2009-10-14 12:53:24 UTC
Post by Jack the Rippa'
The world wide web and file sharing are poised to deliver the final blow.
WTF? How can more access to more music and a wider range of choices be
harmful? There are great bands that I've discovered through the web,
and great CDs that I'd never be able to find if it weren't for eBay
and amazon.com. I'm not a big fan of file-sharing, but it shows that
people are still interested in music.

This whole thread is silly. The truth is that there has always been
good, bad and mediocre music. And the definition of what's good will
vary with each individual's personal taste. Look into any decade, and
you'll find it's share of crap. At the same time Elvis was hot, so was
Pat Boone. At the height of Beatlemania, you also had Bobby Vinton on
the top 40 charts.

Good and bad have always coexisted and always will. Just because you
focus on the good songs you remember from your youth and forget the
schlock that was also available, doesn't mean music suddenly got bad.

- Rich
White Spirit
2009-10-14 13:56:15 UTC
Post by Dr. Zontar
Post by Jack the Rippa'
The world wide web and file sharing are poised to deliver the final blow.
WTF? How can more access to more music and a wider range of choices be
harmful? There are great bands that I've discovered through the web,
and great CDs that I'd never be able to find if it weren't for eBay
and amazon.com. I'm not a big fan of file-sharing, but it shows that
people are still interested in music.
I take an ethical, if not wholly legal approach: I'll use file sharing
in order to try out different music and, if I like it, I'll buy the
originals. If not, I'll delete them. That's one way in which bands can
benefit from file sharing, but only as long as people buy their music,
tickets or merchandise.
Post by Dr. Zontar
This whole thread is silly.
Agreed. I was about to filter the entire thing.
Desk Rabbit
2009-10-14 14:59:21 UTC
Post by White Spirit
Post by Dr. Zontar
This whole thread is silly.
Agreed. I was about to filter the entire thing.
Seems more like it is designed to illicit a storm of shit and garbage
from Mr "Wereo"
Derek
2009-10-14 15:59:13 UTC
Questions like this always strike me as innane. Kinda like "jazz is
dead" sorts of discussions.

As others have pointed out, just the biz and delivery system is
dead.

Music is very much alive and well. Maybe the particular type of music
you or others like is dead or dying, but not music as a whole.

When kids today are playing music from a genneration ago on GH and RB,
I think it doesn't bode well for what we call rock, but there are
bands still banging it out.

Music evolves along with the culture it is in. Soon, like classic
rock, there will be classic hip hop as the kids will be onto something
else.

Comes and goes man.
dugjustdug
2009-10-14 16:29:46 UTC
Post by Derek
As others have pointed out, just the biz and delivery system is
dead.
I suspect Marc's comments were directed at the "Mainstream". And I
agree with his rendition.

I turned 50 y.o. yesterday (thank yew, thank yew) and what tipped it
for me was when bands featured the vocalist and hid the music makers.
I still enjoyed Disco acts like The Commodores, Earth/Wind/Fire and
AWB because it was all about the tune. Acts like Goria Gayner and
Donna Summer did nothing for me.

MTV didn't kill it - but, it perpetuated The Show v. The Music. Our
attention spans degraded from there.

JMHO.
Wrong_Note_Rod
2009-10-14 17:47:55 UTC
Post by dugjustdug
Post by Derek
As others have pointed out, just the biz and delivery system is
dead.
I suspect Marc's comments were directed at the "Mainstream". And I
agree with his rendition.
I turned 50 y.o. yesterday (thank yew, thank yew) and what tipped it
for me was when bands featured the vocalist and hid the music makers.
I still enjoyed Disco acts like The Commodores, Earth/Wind/Fire and
AWB because it was all about the tune. Acts like Goria Gayner and
Donna Summer did nothing for me.
MTV didn't kill it - but, it perpetuated The Show v. The Music. Our
attention spans degraded from there.
as someone once said, if MTV killed rock and roll, American Idol is making
sure it stays dead.

Lots of people are going to disagree with that... personally, I find both
those entities counter-productive to what I like to hear in music, and
pushing music i despise, into the forefront. Not always but to a large
degree.

All this is a very subjective thing, with everybody's personal tastes
involved.
RichL
2009-10-15 02:22:56 UTC
Post by Wrong_Note_Rod
Post by dugjustdug
Post by Derek
[...]
In my view, MTV didn't harm rock at first. I got exposed to what were
then a lot of new acts back when MTV first started and they were about
*music*. I don't know WTF they're about now.

American Idol is a different story, however. I'll agree with you 100%
there.
Wrong_Note_Rod
2009-10-15 13:41:25 UTC
Post by RichL
Post by Wrong_Note_Rod
Post by dugjustdug
Post by Derek
[...]
They arent even about music anymore, I dont think MTV actually airs many
music videos. I'll agree, at the very very first, it seemed like a good
thing. MTV would air all kinds of 30 minute and even hour long concert
programs from bands. Some looked like they were actually playing in a TV
studio with some crowd effects faked, and possibly some live stuff wasnt
really live and was lp sync'd, BUT, at least it was a performance by
musicians. ZZ Top practically re-birthed themselves via MTV. But none of
that lasted... As time went on, it seemed like the music mattered less and
less and fashion and cinematography took over.

But hey, same thing happened to Elvis you know.
:-)
2009-10-14 20:44:31 UTC
Post by Derek
As others have pointed out, just the biz and delivery system is
dead.
I suspect Marc's comments were directed at the "Mainstream".  And I
agree with his rendition.
I turned 50 y.o. yesterday (thank yew, thank yew) and what tipped it
for me was when bands featured the vocalist and hid the music makers.
I still enjoyed Disco acts like The Commodores, Earth/Wind/Fire and
AWB because it was all about the tune.  Acts like Goria Gayner and
Donna Summer did nothing for me.
MTV didn't kill it - but, it perpetuated The Show v. The Music.  Our
attention spans degraded from there.
JMHO.
Happy and welcome to the Five Oh years dug. Hey, how'd all go with
your .38 Special Hold on Loosely cover? M
dugjustdug
2009-10-15 00:06:55 UTC
Post by :-)
Happy and welcome to the Five Oh years dug. Hey, how'd all go with
your .38 Special Hold on Loosely cover? M
Thanks and let's hope we're still squaking into our 90's, eh? ;-)

Cover went fine. Occasional flub-ups on a couple of the passes which
is to be expected for the "1st time jitters". It was a light crowd,
so, I was missing the energy of the masses. T'anks for askin'.
:-)
2009-10-15 01:48:48 UTC
Post by dugjustdug
Post by :-)
Happy and welcome to the Five Oh years dug. Hey, how'd all go with
your .38 Special Hold on Loosely cover? M
Thanks and let's hope we're still squaking into our 90's, eh? ;-)
Cover went fine.  Occasional flub-ups on a couple of the passes which
is to be expected for the "1st time jitters".  It was a light crowd,
so, I was missing the energy of the masses.  T'anks for askin'.
Cool. It'll improve. As to the light crowds, well- they aren't likely
to for a few more...years....imo. M
Dr. Zontar
2009-10-14 16:47:43 UTC
Post by Derek
When kids today are playing music from a genneration ago on GH and RB,
I think it doesn't bode well for what we call rock, but there are
bands still banging it out.
Well, the fact that kids are happy to just push buttons on instrument-
shaped controllers, rather than play real instruments scares me. I'm
sure most people on these groups know by now that Guitar Hero and Rock
Band are nothing like playing a real guitar. They're just "Simon" for
the new millenium.

But the fact that kids today are actually listening to The Beatles and
70's bands like Queen because of these games gives me hope. Maybe
they'll develop an ear for melody and song structure. Maybe, just
maybe, they'll learn to appreciate real talent. And Lady Gaga will go
back to her job at Burger King...

- Rich
jtees4
2009-10-14 17:07:18 UTC
snip
Post by Dr. Zontar
But the fact that kids today are actually listening to The Beatles and
70's bands like Queen because of these games gives me hope. Maybe
they'll develop an ear for melody and song structure. Maybe, just
maybe, they'll learn to appreciate real talent. And Lady Gaga will go
back to her job at Burger King...
- Rich
Good point. My kids know more about my music than I ever knew about my
parents music because of 1. Commercials 2. Remakes in movies 3.video
games
--
http://www.Reviewmymusicnow.com
http://www.Gearforumz.com
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=789610
Wrong_Note_Rod
2009-10-14 17:55:00 UTC
Post by jtees4
snip
Post by Dr. Zontar
But the fact that kids today are actually listening to The Beatles and
70's bands like Queen because of these games gives me hope. Maybe
they'll develop an ear for melody and song structure. Maybe, just
maybe, they'll learn to appreciate real talent. And Lady Gaga will go
back to her job at Burger King...
- Rich
Good point. My kids know more about my music than I ever knew about my
parents music because of 1. Commercials 2. Remakes in movies 3.video
games
My daughter knows much more about "my music" than I do "hers", because we
listen to "mine" at the house and I filled up her ipod with 700 great
classic rock, jazz and classical tunes. As fas as my parents music, my
parents werent much into music at all. Even so, I discovered 50s rock and
roll on my own and by the time i was out of high school I had started
collecting it. . I was born in 1959 and once I told my Dad, Elvis was
everywhere back then and I bet I was conceived with Elvis onm the radio, in
the background. My mother piped in right then and said, "you most certainly
were NOT".

My luck, I was probably conceived with Pat Boone on the radio.
:-)
2009-10-14 20:48:16 UTC
Post by Wrong_Note_Rod
Post by jtees4
snip
Post by Dr. Zontar
[...]
I laughed out loud at this one Rod. It's got Father Knows Best all
over
it. " "...you most certainly were NOT". Now tell the truth did she
inadvertantly add, "young man!" ? :-) M
jtees4
2009-10-14 22:40:15 UTC
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:55:00 -0400, Wrong_Note_Rod
Post by Wrong_Note_Rod
Post by jtees4
snip
Post by Dr. Zontar
[...]
I was born in 58 so we are close, but my parents were into Sinatra and
that type, my father had a thing for big bands. They both didn't mind
hearing the early Beatles so they were open minded for the time. I
even remember my father liking Bohemiam Rhapsody at some point!
Wrong_Note_Rod
2009-10-14 17:50:21 UTC
Post by Dr. Zontar
Post by Derek
When kids today are playing music from a genneration ago on GH and RB,
I think it doesn't bode well for what we call rock, but there are
bands still banging it out.
Well, the fact that kids are happy to just push buttons on instrument-
shaped controllers, rather than play real instruments scares me. I'm
sure most people on these groups know by now that Guitar Hero and Rock
Band are nothing like playing a real guitar. They're just "Simon" for
the new millenium.
But the fact that kids today are actually listening to The Beatles and
70's bands like Queen because of these games gives me hope. Maybe
they'll develop an ear for melody and song structure. Maybe, just
maybe, they'll learn to appreciate real talent. And Lady Gaga will go
back to her job at Burger King...
nah.

Singers have always ruled the world, and probably always will. Theres
always gonna be room for one more cute image-manufactured diva moron, at
the top... male, female, unknown, who cares... As it is now, has been, and
ever will be, "real talent" has next to nothing to do with ultimate success
in the music industry.

Now define real talent...
Ray
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny. FZ
RichL
2009-10-15 02:37:42 UTC
Post by Dr. Zontar
Post by Jack the Rippa'
[...]
I'm with you, man. I can always find good stuff to listen to. It might
be a bit tougher to find these days compared to some periods because the
big labels are pushing pablum to the masses, but that doesn't mean
that's all there is.

It never died.
jtees4
2009-10-15 22:37:58 UTC
Post by RichL
Post by Dr. Zontar
Post by Jack the Rippa'
[...]
Some of the best stuff I have heard is from no names on places like
Soundclick etc.
DGDevin
2009-10-15 21:16:51 UTC
Post by Dr. Zontar
This whole thread is silly. The truth is that there has always been
good, bad and mediocre music. And the definition of what's good will
vary with each individual's personal taste. Look into any decade, and
you'll find it's share of crap. At the same time Elvis was hot, so was
Pat Boone. At the height of Beatlemania, you also had Bobby Vinton on
the top 40 charts.
Good and bad have always coexisted and always will. Just because you
focus on the good songs you remember from your youth and forget the
schlock that was also available, doesn't mean music suddenly got bad.
- Rich
True, but that doesn't mean the proportions between good, bad and mediocre
are fixed. Even recognizing generational biases, the 60s and early 70s did
see especially energetic musical development, that era seemed to produce
more than its share of innovation and virtuoso skill. It would seem a
perfect storm of factors allowed that to happen--the upheaval of WWII
breaking down cultural norms, musical cross-pollination as servicemen
carried American music (especially black American music) to Europe (which
then came back to America), technical developments like affordable consumer
electronics, a more affluent middle-class and so on.

Think of the top musicians who rose to fame in the 60s like Dylan and the
Beatles and the Stones and Led Zeppelin and Hendrix and the Who and on and
on--they still sell well today even if they're dead. How many performers
who reached the top in the 80s will have forty or fifty-year careers
(outside of the casino circuit), still be influential decades later?
Christopher Cross? Pat Benatar? A-ha? There are a few like U2 or Michael
Jackson, but there is quite a contrast between the lasting impact of
numerous top musicians of the 60s and performers of later decades. Sure,
big stars came along later, but surely not so many in such a short period of
time.

The way popular music has splintered into genres and sub-genres today's
stars are reaching smaller and smaller segments of the public. Forty years
ago rock radio stations played everyone from Ray Charles to Ray Stevens, you
could hear the Stones followed by Miles Davis followed by Johnny Cash
followed by Carol King all on one station, the Eagles and Led Zeppelin were
on the same playlist. Where are you going to find that kind of variety
today outside of college radio? If you're a country fan you couldn't name a
hip hop artist except maybe one recently indicted, if you're into hip hop
the nickname "Bird" might make you recall some white guy who used to play in
the NBA, and if you date to the 60s what passes for "R&B" today is pop
swill. So even if you're the biggest thing in "blackened death metal" most
of the world is never going to hear of you, and that's a huge difference
between now and the 60s.

Yes, every generation's has had some crappy music, although today the music
industry seems more capable of and more interested in marketing crap than in
putting in the work to find and develop genuine talent. Milli Vanilli,
Ashlee Simpson, R. Kelly--that's a perfect summation of where I think the
music industry has gone--image over talent, marketing over content.
Considering that now the labels are largely run by corporate droids who
regard music as just another product, it's no wonder that today's music is
reminiscent of dog food, floor polish and deodorant.
:-)
2009-10-15 21:54:49 UTC
Commodity.
s***@dog.com
2009-10-14 11:54:49 UTC
I think California Jam was pretty much the death knell
Claude V. Lucas
2009-10-14 13:17:09 UTC
Post by :-)
In your opinion: The Music Died when...
Well, I've always separated the "Music" from the "Music Business",
so I'd have to opine "Not Yet", by a longshot...

I once read an enlightening book called "Hit Men" that explains
what actually gave life to the "Music Business". Interesting read.
Meat Plow
2009-10-14 13:44:50 UTC
....When video killed the radio star.
The Repair Guy
2009-10-14 17:03:54 UTC
Post by Meat Plow
Post by :-)
In your opinion: The Music Died when...
....When video killed the radio star.
Nailed it!

The Repair Guy
repairguy1993 dot netfirms dot com
JJTj
2009-10-14 22:44:32 UTC
Well, one moment is now..

Capt Lou Albano, who in ways, managed
NRBQ, passed away. I was lucky to talk
to the Capt about music, and he knew his
stuff, loved NRBQ (as we all do), and also
had a good opinion of shit music and real rock.

Yea, this may be off topic, but maybe not...

JJTj

Intro:
G / C / G / C / G / C / G / C /

G / / / D / / /
Some say the man's not wrapped too tight,

D / G / D / /
Captain Lou, Captain Lou, Captain Lou

G / / / D / / /
But when he's on the scene, everything's alright,

D / G / D/G /
Captain Lou, Captain Lou Albano.

D / / / G / / /
With a man of a thousand faces,

D / / / G / / /
I know we'll be goin' places (HEY!)

G / / / D / / /
I'm gonna stick with "The Guiding Light,"

D / G / D/G /
Captain Lou, Captain Lou Albano.

G / C / G / C / G / C / G / C /

G / / / D / / /
Lou don't worry 'cuz it's figured in,

D / G / D / /
Captain Lou, Captain Lou, Captain Lou

G / / / D / / /
And he's got sharp teeth like Rin Tin Tin,

D / G / D/G /
Captain Lou, Captain Lou Albano.

D / / / G / / /
With a man of a thousand faces,

D / / / G / / /
I know we'll be goin' places (HEY!)

G / / / D / / /
We'll stick with the "Light" through thick and thin,

D / G / D/G /
Captain Lou, Captain Lou Albano.

G / C / G / C / G / C / G / C /

(Instrumental)

G / / / D / / /

D / G / D / /
Captain Lou, Captain Lou, Captain Lou

G / / / D / / /

D / G / D/G /
Captain Lou, Captain Lou Albano.

D / / / G / / /
D / / / G / / /
G / / / D / / /

D / G / D/G /
Captain Lou, Captain Lou Albano.

D / / / G / / /
With a man of a thousand faces,

D / / / G / / /
I know we'll be goin' places (HEY!)

G / / / D / / /
I'm gonna stick with "The Guiding Light,"

D / G / D/G /
Captain Lou, Captain Lou Albano.

G / / / Em / /
Captain Lou, Captain Lou Albano.

(Em) G / / / Em / /
Captain Lou, Captain Lou Albano.

(REPEAT & FADE)

"They're talking about me!
Captain Lou Albano!
Maker of champions, baby!
Twelve tag-team champions!
I take them, I mold them,
I think it's charisma, it's pandemonium!
It's psychedelic pandemonium!
Ah ha ha ha ha ha! I, am "the Guiding Light," ha ha!
I'm where it's at! Ah YEAH! CLCLA,
80%, 60% of the net, 80% of the gross, 45% of the beef,
72% of the weight, 83% of the gross, 87% of the net,
60% of the what?, 40% of the gross, 32%, 22%,17%,19%,
12%, 8%, 84563Iforgot, 12, 9, 8,24563, sound off.
jtees4
2009-10-14 14:11:02 UTC
I don't think music is dead at all. Some music is dead, mostly because
of the way it is made...but there is still plenty of good "real" music
around if you want to find it. Plenty.
As a side note, In 77-81 I played in a band around NYC. Disco was
dying at the time (thank goodness)...so we constantly found ourselves
playing in clubs that were formally discos....so I played hard rock
under a mirrrored ball many many times...but I was happy knowing disco
was dying. We started the show with the drummer doing a disco beat,
then we all joined in (the audience was usually booing at this
point)...then we stopped and the bass player yelled "DISCO SUCKS!!!"
and we went into a really hard rockin song. That got the crowds
attention an also got them on our side...as mediocre as we were!
Don Evans
2009-10-15 07:24:27 UTC
Post by jtees4
I don't think music is dead at all. Some music is dead, mostly because
of the way it is made...but there is still plenty of good "real" music
around if you want to find it. Plenty.
Agreed ... 100%. And if you don't like what's being played now ... make
some yourself. The times have never been better for that.

Don
:-)
2009-10-15 13:47:59 UTC
Post by jtees4
I don't think music is dead at all. Some music is dead, mostly because
of the way it is made...but there is still plenty of good "real" music
around if you want to find it. Plenty.
Agreed ... 100%.  And if you don't like what's being played now ... make
some yourself.  The times have never been better for that.
Don
Make it 110% Don (simply because I'm the OP). Ha ha. The fact
is, the record labels / music industry died. Now, distribution and
promotion of...what? CD's have died too. Can the average guy
have his "New Release" slapped on billboards, bus stops, bus
sides and take out full page ads? C'mon Evans, tell it baby, tell
it like it *is*. :-) M
Dinosaur_Sr
2009-10-14 16:56:50 UTC
Post by :-)
In your opinion: The Music Died when...
What?
snipperoooooooooo
Post by :-)
Now you...what's your opinion?
Music hasn't died. The music industry has really hampered the
distribution of music though, especially with performance fees. Drug
companies spend billions in research and patents are only good for 15
years or so, but some song gets popular and some scumbag music
producer buys it and controls the rights to it forever! So live music
becomes so lame it's hardly worth the effort...and...if you make the
effort, all the performances are is vehicles to sell crappy beer and
disgusting food, and the major impression you are left with from a
performance is the smell of urine.

On the other hand though, musical instruments are really cheap these
days, especially guitars. Music is easy to come by, and lots of people
play. For me, I have had lots of fun singing in the past and now
playing the guitar, and that's what it's all about. Lots of people
just play, and like days of old, you can get together and play your
old favorites and maybe some creative people can play some of their
own creations. Of course, no doubt, some day the scumbag music
producers will get into peoples living rooms and demand royalties any
time you play some song...but were not quite there yet...close
though....

Commercial music is a joke. Not really music at all IMHO.
Wrong_Note_Rod
2009-10-14 17:56:15 UTC
Post by Dinosaur_Sr
Commercial music is a joke.
Unless you're the one getting the royalties, then its pretty kewl.

Try it sometime.

If you can.
Dinosaur_Sr
2009-10-14 18:05:27 UTC
Post by Wrong_Note_Rod
Post by Dinosaur_Sr
Commercial music is a joke.
Unless you're the one getting the royalties, then its pretty kewl.
Try it sometime.
If you can.
The major producers make almost all the royalties. The rest make a few
cents here and there; might get a check for a few hundred in a year at
best for the most part. It's amazing to me all the music whose rights
are owned by major music producers. My understanding is that they
won't distribute it unless you give them the rights. Leaves not much
more than maybe an ad jungle or a theme for a TV show or something
like that for everyone else...and those aren't going to be played in
the context I described too often!
rct
2009-10-14 19:14:06 UTC
Post by Dinosaur_Sr
The major producers make almost all the royalties. The rest make a few
cents here and there; might get a check for a few hundred in a year at
best for the most part. It's amazing to me all the music whose rights
are owned by major music producers. My understanding is that they
won't distribute it unless you give them the rights.
Your understanding is amiss.

rct
Dinosaur_Sr
2009-10-14 22:40:26 UTC
Post by rct
Post by Dinosaur_Sr
The major producers make almost all the royalties. The rest make a few
cents here and there; might get a check for a few hundred in a year at
best for the most part. It's amazing to me all the music whose rights
are owned by major music producers. My understanding is that they
won't distribute it unless you give them the rights.
Your understanding is amiss.
rct
You are unmarried
No doubt!
My understanding is
Amisses no doubt!
Wrong_Note_Rod
You're wrong again.
Wrong_Note_Rod
2009-10-15 13:43:42 UTC
Post by Dinosaur_Sr
Post by Wrong_Note_Rod
Post by Dinosaur_Sr
Commercial music is a joke.
Unless you're the one getting the royalties, then its pretty kewl.
Try it sometime.
If you can.
The major producers make almost all the royalties.
Not in my case. Granted its not much, and I cant live off it, but I suspect
you dont know all that much about the music business.
Dinosaur_Sr
2009-10-15 14:01:21 UTC
Post by Wrong_Note_Rod
Post by Dinosaur_Sr
Post by Wrong_Note_Rod
Post by Dinosaur_Sr
Commercial music is a joke.
Unless you're the one getting the royalties, then its pretty kewl.
Try it sometime.
If you can.
The major producers make almost all the royalties.
Not in my case. Granted its not much, and I cant live off it, but I suspect
you dont know all that much about the music business.
I just know what people in the entertainment business tell me. "FWIW",
by "distribution", I mean they are going to promote you and make you
into a big star.
rct
2009-10-15 14:30:10 UTC
"FWIW", by "distribution", I mean they are going to promote you and make you
into a big star.
"FYI", that isn't "distribution", that's something entirely different.

rct
Dinosaur_Sr
2009-10-15 15:52:53 UTC
Post by rct
"FWIW", by "distribution", I mean they are going to promote you and make you
into a big star.
"FYI", that isn't "distribution", that's something entirely different.
rct
You say potato, I say potato. Dan Quayle says potatoe. As you know, I
am no expert. I just go with what people tell me. I have been told
that "distribution" involves, among other things, sending it through
the system, which results in it being played and "reviewed" ad nauseum
on various media.
Rufus
2009-10-15 18:56:58 UTC
Post by rct
"FWIW", by "distribution", I mean they are going to promote you and make you
into a big star.
"FYI", that isn't "distribution", that's something entirely different.
rct
Yup. That's advertising. And that's easier to, net-wise.
- Rufus
Dinosaur_Sr
2009-10-16 16:36:22 UTC
Post by rct
"FWIW", by "distribution", I mean they are going to promote you and make you
into a big star.
"FYI", that isn't "distribution", that's something entirely different.
rct
Yup.  That's advertising.  And that's easier to, net-wise.
--
      - Rufus
Call it what you will, but easier to do netwise? That doesn't make
sense to me.

The major producers can distribute the music to the big time radio
networks and have it played ad nauseum. They can have their shills
write many glowing reviews of you all over the place, including the
net. They book you on TV shows and arrange concert dates for you. I
don't see how that is easier to do netwise, regardless of what you
call it!
Mike Pritchard
2009-10-14 18:29:12 UTC
Post by :-)
In your opinion: The Music Died when...
OK, I'll play....

But, I'm going to take a different approach from most who've responded.
If someone has already mentioned this, I apologize--I missed it.

Music--good or bad, is highly subjective and depends on personal tastes.
Some folks might like disco (for example), while others hate it. Does
that mean it's bad? No. It simply means everyone's tastes in music are
different.

But, for me...music did begin to die when pitch correction was invented.
If this tool had been used properly, rather than abused to the point of
ridiculousness, "real" music may have survived.

And, when you add to this, the abuses associated with computer based
recording--which allows a whole new world of nasty tricks...and the public
has been fooled into buying "audio products" that are often referred to as
"music."

I beg to differ...as the result is not real music. Rather, it's the
product of a computer program....or, "fake music."

To me, "music" is a musician or group of musicians playing instruments
and/or singing. The recording studio/engineer, producer and label should
do their best to capture this music and then distribute it to users, as
accurately as they can--without major alteration--except to bring out the
full potential of the performers and their songs. (A simplified
description, but you get the idea.)

That's the way it used to be done.

But these days, you have non-talented...but "marketable" individuals who
go into a studio, record their lame attempts at singing at least *parts*
of the song...and some "producer" then makes some sort of creation to be
sold to an unsuspecting public--and claims it to be "music.".

Many of these "acts" are so bad, they have no choice but to use backing
tracks, or, to lip sync at their "live" concerts. Or...many who do try to
actually SING at a concert, will have their vocals pitch
corrected....heavily.

If they didn't do all this "magic", no one with half a brain would buy the
recordings or concert tickets!! They'd simply suck too badly!

So--why do these people have record deals, in the first place? Wouldn't
one assume they must have talent worthy of such? Most "uninformed" people
do assume this....and are fooled by the labels into spending money on this
fake music.

There are still bands/musicians out there, who don't use pitch
correction...but they are rare--especially on recordings that are lucky
enough to get any kind of "real" distribution deal.

I hate pitch correction. I can hear it and those who abuse it, killed
"real" music for me.

I've never used pitch correction on any of my recordings--and I never
will. Good or bad, what you hear is *really* me....and I'm OK with that.
I don't have a golden voice, which is why I'm not selling out arenas.
That's fine, too. At least I'm honest about it. I make music simply
because I enjoy it. I don't care what others say about my music. It
makes me happy and that's all that matters.

Further, when we play live, we've never been told "you guys don't sound as
good as your CD's." But, we have often been told we sound *even better*
live, than on our CD's.

Not every band can say that! But, we can...and it means everything.

Oh well...that's my story.

Mike
:-)
Good one. Thanks Mike. M
RichL
2009-10-15 02:35:38 UTC
Post by Mike Pritchard
Post by :-)
[...]
Too much here to respond in detail, but I'll highlight one aspect of
what you posted..

"Pitch correction". Just another studio effect. Just like all the
studio effects that bands like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen etc. used
up the wazoo. This idea that the band just played and the studio
engineers captured what was heard went out over 45 years ago. Those
bands used every trick at their disposal as a creative tool. Nothing
wrong with that, the best music is an art form.

Jeez, even your typical Zep song had more than one guitar track going,
and Zep couldn't reproduce that live. It's a creative process, not an
audio snapshot of a live band, generally speaking. The difference is
that we old farts are *used to* the studio effects that our favorite
bands used and so we're accustomed to them. The new stuff, not so much.

Hating pitch correction is foolish, in my opinion. If you don't like
the styles that incorporates it, fine, but it's not necessarily *bad*
music. Go back to your first couple of sentences, which I think nailed
it.

<thinking back and imagining when electric guitars first came out, the
old farts probably said that that wasn't "real" music either.>

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.

-- B. Dylan
DGDevin
2009-10-15 04:27:48 UTC
Post by RichL
"Pitch correction". Just another studio effect. Just like all the
studio effects that bands like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen etc.
used up the wazoo. This idea that the band just played and the studio
engineers captured what was heard went out over 45 years ago. Those
bands used every trick at their disposal as a creative tool. Nothing
wrong with that, the best music is an art form.
I have to disagree, pitch correction isn't an effect, it's concealment of
the fact that somebody can't sing. Studio effects are often instantly
identifiable, we know when someone has cranked up the tremolo or turned the
reverb up to surf level or is using a backwards tape effect, there is no
attempt in any of those to deceive the listener. But "fixing" a vocal track
is deceptive, it's selling someone as a vocalist when they really aren't up
to the job.
Post by RichL
Jeez, even your typical Zep song had more than one guitar track going,
and Zep couldn't reproduce that live. It's a creative process, not an
audio snapshot of a live band, generally speaking. The difference is
that we old farts are *used to* the studio effects that our favorite
bands used and so we're accustomed to them. The new stuff, not so much.
Multiple tracks of the same person on a studio recording aren't deceptive,
that person really can sing or play all those tracks, just not at the same
time. Black box technology that make it seem like someone can sing on pitch
is deceptive however, because they couldn't do it without the technical
crutch.
Post by RichL
Hating pitch correction is foolish, in my opinion. If you don't like
the styles that incorporates it, fine, but it's not necessarily *bad*
music.
Style has nothing to do with it, either that person can sing like that or
they can't. This sort of trickery ends up at Milli Vanilli, and that's not
a happy place.
Post by RichL
<thinking back and imagining when electric guitars first came out, the
old farts probably said that that wasn't "real" music either.>
Lame-ass folkie socialists maybe. Everybody else seemed to be okay with it.

Hell, taken to its ultimate conclusion we won't need human musicians at all.
A computer will create all the instrumentals and the vocals so there won't
be any mistakes, unless the producer wants to add a few to warm it up a bit,
give it an old-school human vibe.

Breathing human musicians playing actual instruments made of wood and stuff?
How quaint.
:-)
2009-10-15 05:37:05 UTC
made of wood
Libcrusher Smith
2009-10-15 07:09:40 UTC
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:27:48 -0700, "DGDevin"
Post by DGDevin
Post by RichL
"Pitch correction". Just another studio effect. Just like all the
studio effects that bands like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen etc.
used up the wazoo. This idea that the band just played and the studio
engineers captured what was heard went out over 45 years ago. Those
bands used every trick at their disposal as a creative tool. Nothing
wrong with that, the best music is an art form.
I have to disagree, pitch correction isn't an effect
Uh, he's talking about acts that use it as an effect. Mostly rap type
R&B songs. Again, you're either commenting on something you know
nothing about or you're showing your racist colors against blacks
again.

Which is it?

T-Pain - I'm Sprung

T-Pain video discusses autotune, his new album, music & haters w/ DJ
Skee

Wrong_Note_Rod
2009-10-15 13:49:51 UTC
Post by DGDevin
Post by RichL
"Pitch correction". Just another studio effect. Just like all the
studio effects that bands like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen etc.
used up the wazoo. This idea that the band just played and the studio
engineers captured what was heard went out over 45 years ago. Those
bands used every trick at their disposal as a creative tool. Nothing
wrong with that, the best music is an art form.
I have to disagree, pitch correction isn't an effect
Uh, he's talking about acts that use it as an effect. Mostly rap type
R&B songs. Again, you're either commenting on something you know
nothing about or you're showing your racist colors against blacks
again.
are you out of your mind? Do you have ANY idea of how many country singers,
all of whom are white, use the auto-tuner in recording and on stage?
DGDevin
2009-10-15 14:53:38 UTC
Post by Wrong_Note_Rod
Post by Libcrusher Smith
Uh, he's talking about acts that use it as an effect. Mostly rap type
R&B songs. Again, you're either commenting on something you know
nothing about or you're showing your racist colors against blacks
again.
are you out of your mind? Do you have ANY idea of how many country
singers, all of whom are white, use the auto-tuner in recording and
on stage?
Libsucker Smitty is a.g.a.'s current village idiot, he has admitted that he
often posts stoned, so don't take his nonsensical remarks seriously.
Libcrusher Smith
2009-10-16 01:21:32 UTC
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:53:38 -0700, "DGDevin"
Post by DGDevin
Post by Wrong_Note_Rod
Post by Libcrusher Smith
Uh, he's talking about acts that use it as an effect. Mostly rap type
R&B songs. Again, you're either commenting on something you know
nothing about or you're showing your racist colors against blacks
again.
are you out of your mind? Do you have ANY idea of how many country
singers, all of whom are white, use the auto-tuner in recording and
on stage?
Libsucker Smitty is a.g.a.'s current village idiot, he has admitted that he
often posts stoned, so don't take his nonsensical remarks seriously.
Coming from the no-blower that's deosn't know what using Auto Tune as
an EFFECT means.

He's really going to hate Spewboi now....

LOL

Notice how he was too scared to satnd up to his lib buttbuddy, DickL.
RichL
2009-10-16 01:26:01 UTC
Post by DGDevin
Post by Wrong_Note_Rod
Post by Libcrusher Smith
Uh, he's talking about acts that use it as an effect. Mostly rap
type R&B songs. Again, you're either commenting on something you
know nothing about or you're showing your racist colors against
blacks again.
are you out of your mind? Do you have ANY idea of how many country
singers, all of whom are white, use the auto-tuner in recording and
on stage?
Libsucker Smitty is a.g.a.'s current village idiot, he has admitted
that he often posts stoned, so don't take his nonsensical remarks
seriously.
You've read of course that if a sufficiently large number of monkeys
typed for a sufficiently long period of time, they'd reproduce the works
of Shakespeare, right?

Well, oddly enough, this time Spewboy nailed it. He's right on, I was
talking about using pitch correction as an intentional effect, not using
it to conceal the fact that a singer can't keep on pitch.

Maybe you haven't heard enough of it or don't realize that it's the same
pitch correction software being used but there are several genres in
which pitch correction is used to intentionally produce an artificial,
almost robotic vocal quality.

That's what I was talking about.
Libcrusher Smith
2009-10-16 02:34:52 UTC
Post by RichL
Post by DGDevin
Post by Wrong_Note_Rod
Post by Libcrusher Smith
Uh, he's talking about acts that use it as an effect. Mostly rap
type R&B songs. Again, you're either commenting on something you
know nothing about or you're showing your racist colors against
blacks again.
are you out of your mind? Do you have ANY idea of how many country
singers, all of whom are white, use the auto-tuner in recording and
on stage?
Libsucker Smitty is a.g.a.'s current village idiot, he has admitted
that he often posts stoned, so don't take his nonsensical remarks
seriously.
You've read of course that if a sufficiently large number of monkeys
typed for a sufficiently long period of time, they'd reproduce the works
of Shakespeare, right?
Ah, Rich, you spoiled it. You could have done without the cheap shot.

...but I know I prolly stepped over the line and made fun of your art
(which I like btw), so I'm deserving.

Let it out, get even and then move one, bro!
Post by RichL
Well, oddly enough, this time Spewboy nailed it. He's right on, I was
talking about using pitch correction as an intentional effect, not using
it to conceal the fact that a singer can't keep on pitch.
Maybe you haven't heard enough of it or don't realize that it's the same
pitch correction software being used but there are several genres in
which pitch correction is used to intentionally produce an artificial,
almost robotic vocal quality.
That's what I was talking about.
Yep, me too, and that's why I defended you in the first place.

I'm always for truth above ideology
Mike Pritchard
2009-10-15 19:13:11 UTC
Post by DGDevin
Post by RichL
"Pitch correction". Just another studio effect. Just like all the
studio effects that bands like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen etc.
used up the wazoo. This idea that the band just played and the studio
engineers captured what was heard went out over 45 years ago. Those
bands used every trick at their disposal as a creative tool. Nothing
wrong with that, the best music is an art form.
I have to disagree, pitch correction isn't an effect
Uh, he's talking about acts that use it as an effect. Mostly rap type
R&B songs. Again, you're either commenting on something you know
nothing about or you're showing your racist colors against blacks
again.
are you out of your mind? Do you have ANY idea of how many country singers,
all of whom are white, use the auto-tuner in recording and on stage?
Thank You! You are absolutely correct! In fact, country singers are among the
worst abusers.

Clueless Snuffy Smith wouldn't know about that, however. He only pretends to
be a musician, but clearly knows very little about the biz.

Mike
Twibil
2009-10-15 19:31:10 UTC
Are you out of your mind? Do you have ANY idea of how many country singers,
all of whom are white, use the auto-tuner in recording and on stage?
In order of the asking: Yes, he's out of his mind, and no, he hadn't
had any idea.

Q: Did you really expect sanity from someone who'd nym himself
"Libcrusher"?
Libcrusher Smith
2009-10-16 01:22:46 UTC
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 12:31:10 -0700 (PDT), Twibil
Post by Twibil
Are you out of your mind? Do you have ANY idea of how many country singers,
all of whom are white, use the auto-tuner in recording and on stage?
In order of the asking: Yes, he's out of his mind, and no, he hadn't
had any idea.
Q: Did you really expect sanity from someone who'd nym himself
"Libcrusher"?
HAHAHAHA

Another no-blower that doesn't know what using Auto Tune as an EFFECT
means.

Typical dumbfuck lib. No talent, no nothing....
Twibil
2009-10-16 01:56:32 UTC
Post by Libcrusher Smith
Typical dumbfuck lib. No talent, no nothing....
Actually (A) a lifelong conservative who's been (B) earning a nice
living with his music for well over 40 years now, with the next gig
(C) being tomorrow evening at 8:00 pm.

B there or B2.

(Q: Could you possibly look any more foolish?)
Libcrusher Smith
2009-10-16 02:18:14 UTC
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:56:32 -0700 (PDT), Twibil
Post by Twibil
Post by Libcrusher Smith
Typical dumbfuck lib. No talent, no nothing....
Actually (A) a lifelong conservative who's been (B) earning a nice
living with his music for well over 40 years now, with the next gig
(C) being tomorrow evening at 8:00 pm.
B there or B2.
(Q: Could you possibly look any more foolish?)
And you still don't know the difference between using Auto Tune as
pitch correction and using Auto Tune as an effect?

Hell, DGDevin has a MIM Squire Bass, it doesn't mean he's a
musician....

LOL
Twibil
2009-10-16 05:11:34 UTC
Post by Libcrusher Smith
Post by Twibil
(Q: Could you possibly look any more foolish?)
And you still don't know the difference between using Auto Tune as
pitch correction and using Auto Tune as an effect?
Think about taking that reading comprehension class your mom has been
bugging you about. I said not a word about using Auto Tune either
way.

Only "In order of the asking: Yes, he's out of his mind, and no, he
hadn't
had any idea."

Both stand as written.
Libcrusher Smith
2009-10-16 01:18:37 UTC
Post by DGDevin
Post by RichL
"Pitch correction". Just another studio effect. Just like all the
studio effects that bands like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen etc.
used up the wazoo. This idea that the band just played and the studio
engineers captured what was heard went out over 45 years ago. Those
bands used every trick at their disposal as a creative tool. Nothing
wrong with that, the best music is an art form.
I have to disagree, pitch correction isn't an effect
Uh, he's talking about acts that use it as an effect. Mostly rap type
R&B songs. Again, you're either commenting on something you know
nothing about or you're showing your racist colors against blacks
again.
are you out of your mind? Do you have ANY idea of how many country singers,
all of whom are white, use the auto-tuner in recording and on stage?
As an effect or how it was meant to be?

You're a fucking idiot.
Wrong_Note_Rod
Coming from you, thats a compliment, and I'm no way in hell a liberal.
Mike Pritchard
2009-10-16 14:39:42 UTC
Post by DGDevin
Post by RichL
[...]
OK Snuffy, pay close attention. I'm only going to hold class for you this one
time, dumbass...

Yes, you are correct in that some artists use autotune/pitch correction as an
effect. It typically sounds as if a keyboard is controlling the pitch--and
often times, that's true. While I also find that to be somewhat annoying, IT
ALSO HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT!!!

You fucking MORON!!!

The "effect" I was talking about, is the abuse of pitch correction--used to make
someone who can't carry a tune in a bucket, into a "marketable" artist. You no
longer have to be able to sing on pitch--or, on beat, in order to get a record
deal. If you can be "sold", the producer will create some sort of music that
can be sold to unsuspecting buyers.

To me, that's a form of fraud or deception. People are buying something that is
not real, but are being led to believe that it is real. It's all about
money--not talent. A band or artist may have loads of talent, but if they're
not seen as marketable, they'll never get a deal. Yet, some non-talented kid
down the street--who has "the look", etc., will get a deal. They don't get the
deal based on their talent or performance ability...that's all artficially
manufactured by the label.

I have a problem with that....and THAT is what I was talking about.

You are *truly* embarrassing yourself, son. You might want to drop this one,
before it gets any worse for you.

If you had *any* sort of *real* knowledge of the music biz, you might have a
clue here. Obviously, you are somewhat uneducated, with regard to the music
business.

What the hell *have* you done, anyway?!?!?! Do you even play an instrument??

Please--feel free to mention your credentials or examples of your work and/or
experience. I'm listening....hell, we all are!

Dumbass....

Mike
Lord Valve
2009-10-16 16:10:21 UTC
Post by Mike Pritchard
Yes, you are correct in that some artists use autotune/pitch correction as an
effect. It typically sounds as if a keyboard is controlling the pitch--and
often times, that's true.
In which case a vocoder would be in use, not autotune warez.
Post by Mike Pritchard
You fucking MORON!!!
Oooh.
Post by Mike Pritchard
Dumbass....
That's OK - maybe you'll grow out of it....

Lord Valve
Expert (please obsess)
Wrong_Note_Rod
2009-10-16 16:17:20 UTC
Post by Lord Valve
Post by Mike Pritchard
Yes, you are correct in that some artists use autotune/pitch correction as an
effect. It typically sounds as if a keyboard is controlling the pitch--and
often times, that's true.
In which case a vocoder would be in use, not autotune warez.
I was always under the impression that the autotuner could be used akin to
a vocoder of sorts. I thought thats what was happening on that seriously
annoying cel-phone TV commercial with the r&b singer who keeps changing
outfits. Might be mary blige, not sure who it is, but theres an annoying
vocal effect on her vocal at times.... I thought that was an autotuner
doing that... is that wrong?
Lord Valve
2009-10-16 16:34:18 UTC
Post by Wrong_Note_Rod
Post by Lord Valve
Post by Mike Pritchard
Yes, you are correct in that some artists use autotune/pitch correction as an
effect. It typically sounds as if a keyboard is controlling the pitch--and
often times, that's true.
In which case a vocoder would be in use, not autotune warez.
I was always under the impression that the autotuner could be used akin to
a vocoder of sorts. I thought thats what was happening on that seriously
annoying cel-phone TV commercial with the r&b singer who keeps changing
outfits. Might be mary blige, not sure who it is, but theres an annoying
vocal effect on her vocal at times.... I thought that was an autotuner
doing that... is that wrong?
I haven't heard it - I don't watch TV, other than "House" and some news - so I can't
comment.

LV
Mike Pritchard
2009-10-16 18:41:57 UTC
Post by Lord Valve
Post by Mike Pritchard
Yes, you are correct in that some artists use autotune/pitch correction as an
effect. It typically sounds as if a keyboard is controlling the pitch--and
often times, that's true.
In which case a vocoder would be in use, not autotune warez.
Only partially true, actually. While a vocoder is often used to produce this
effect--and is very similar, you can also control pitch correction via a keyboard.
The effect--if used correctly--is much more subtle than a vocoder.

If you know what to listen for however, it's not hard to hear.

And--just to be clear, I didn't specifically say that a keyboard is used with a
program like Autotune--though, my generalized comments could have been taken that
way, I suppose.

I'll take the blame for that misunderstanding, since certain commecials that likely
use vocoder instead, were mentioned. I should have been more clear in my reply.

Mike
Mike Pritchard
2009-10-16 18:56:47 UTC
Post by Lord Valve
Post by Mike Pritchard
Yes, you are correct in that some artists use autotune/pitch correction as an
effect. It typically sounds as if a keyboard is controlling the pitch--and
often times, that's true.
In which case a vocoder would be in use, not autotune warez.
With regard to my previous reply, here's one specific example I found quite
easily. This was cut and pasted from the Lexicon PCM 80 manual:

"There are two basic approaches to this type of pitch correction. The first is to
patch the Correct parameter to a switch or to the ADJUST knob, the second is
to use a MIDI keyboard to control correction. The patch method is preferable for
fine tuning a performance, whereas using a MIDI keyboard provides more
flexibility when handling more serious pitch errors, or when it is necessary to
completely rework the melody."

There you go. Feel free to look that up yourself, if you wish to verify. There
are more systems that work pretty much the same way.

Mike

Meat Plow
We use Antares Auto Tune in the studio but it's no Magic Wand.
Lord Valve
2009-10-15 15:35:33 UTC
Post by DGDevin
Post by RichL
"Pitch correction". Just another studio effect. Just like all the
studio effects that bands like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen etc.
used up the wazoo. This idea that the band just played and the studio
engineers captured what was heard went out over 45 years ago. Those
bands used every trick at their disposal as a creative tool. Nothing
wrong with that, the best music is an art form.
I have to disagree, pitch correction isn't an effect
Uh, he's talking about acts that use it as an effect. Mostly rap type
R&B songs. Again, you're either commenting on something you know
nothing about or you're showing your racist colors against blacks
again.
Which is it?
Actually, Eiffel 65 was doing this - and doing it to perfection - back in
1998.

It's an entrancing effect, when done well.
Post by Libcrusher Smith
T-Pain - I'm Sprung
http://youtu.be/ichSb-1HSiY
Hell, that's not bad. ;-)

At least, it has *singing* (and chords and all that
other stuff rappers have no clue about) and it's
mixed well - not bassed to death like most of
that hippity-hoppity shit.
Post by Libcrusher Smith
T-Pain video discusses autotune, his new album, music & haters w/ DJ
Skee
http://youtu.be/45bKBvPCX18
I have much more respect for people who use autotune as an effect than I have
for people who use it for pitch correction.

I remember seeing Ray Charles on the Tonight show,
and he was talking about how a lot of vocalists in the
industry didn't impress him because they couldn't
sing in tune. (This was *way* before all the digital
tricks - including autotune - were even invented.)
I'm with Ray on that one...and that goes double
for people who can't *play* in tune. Phooey!
No-blowers. ;-)

T-Pain seems to think he pioneered the technique;
Eiffel 65 beat him to it by 5 years. He probably
doesn't listen to anything outside his own bag,
though - a lot of those hippity-hoppity folks (and
rappers and whatnot) have absolutely no musical
education, and no desire to get any. I read an
article in Keyboard Magazine once where some
producer ("Baby Face?") said he was really careful
not to expose himself to any jazz, because it might
pollute his "pure" approach. Dumb-ass.

Oh well. ;-)

Lord Valve
Musician
Libcrusher Smith
2009-10-16 01:35:00 UTC
Post by Libcrusher Smith
T-Pain video discusses autotune, his new album, music & haters w/ DJ
Skee
http://youtu.be/45bKBvPCX18
I have much more respect for people who use autotune as an effect than I have
for people who use it for pitch correction.
And I have more respect for people that play and know the difference
between people who use autotune as an effect and those who use it for
pitch correction.

Thanks for that.

Looks like some liberal no-blowers with hurt feelings saw a cheap shot
opportunity and ended up making even bigger fools of themselves...
again!

LOL

Hurt feelings are a fucking bitch, eh Twibil (gay slang for "small
dick"), Mike Pritchard ('You hurt me, you called me liberal") and my
hurt feelings stalker, DGDevin ("I hate you forever, Spewboi")?

LOL
Post by Lord Valve
[...]
Wasn't Cher the very first to use it in one fo her songs or least the
first to popularize it?

Cher - Believe

VampX
2009-10-16 03:05:44 UTC
Post by Lord Valve
I have much more respect for people who use autotune as an effect than I have
for people who use it for pitch correction.
Mmmm Cher. Yes, I agree.
--
VeronicaX
-------------------------------
Mmmmmmmmm
Wrong_Note_Rod
2009-10-15 13:48:45 UTC
Post by DGDevin
I have to disagree, pitch correction isn't an effect, it's concealment of
the fact that somebody can't sing.
I tend to view it that way as well, and pair it with a hatred of lip
syncing. It's like society is totally focused on the singers now and
everything out of the singer's mouth has to be perfection. None of that
interests me, or impresses me, in the least. I'd rather hear Xcene Cervenka
slaughter a scale.
Libcrusher Smith
2009-10-15 06:59:05 UTC
Uh, I'm pretty sure there is a *lot* more to it than that, champ.
Mike Pritchard
2009-10-15 19:09:56 UTC
Post by Mike Pritchard
I've never used pitch correction on any of my recordings--and I never
will. Good or bad, what you hear is *really* me....and I'm OK with that.
I don't have a golden voice, which is why I'm not selling out arenas.
Uh, I'm pretty sure there is a *lot* more to it than that, champ.
Actually, you have no idea....dumbass.

Mike
Libcrusher Smith
2009-10-16 01:49:48 UTC
Post by Mike Pritchard
I've never used pitch correction on any of my recordings--and I never
will. Good or bad, what you hear is *really* me....and I'm OK with that.
I don't have a golden voice, which is why I'm not selling out arenas.
Uh, I'm pretty sure there is a *lot* more to it than that, champ.
Actually, you have no idea....dumbass.
Mike
Mike Pritchard?

Never heard of 'em....

LOL

Aren't you the idiot that got his feelings hurt by me, than backed the
wrong horse, Devin, and made a fool of himself and said T-Pain uses a
pitch shifter, not pitch correction as an effect.

Yeah, that's you. Keep licking Devin balls and see where that gets
you....

LOL

"I'd sellout arenas if I sang better" - Mike Pritchard, liberal
Mike Pritchard
2009-10-16 14:00:58 UTC
Post by Mike Pritchard
I've never used pitch correction on any of my recordings--and I never
will. Good or bad, what you hear is *really* me....and I'm OK with that.
I don't have a golden voice, which is why I'm not selling out arenas.
Uh, I'm pretty sure there is a *lot* more to it than that, champ.
Actually, you have no idea....dumbass.
Mike
Mike Pritchard?
Never heard of 'em....
LOL
Yeah, now there's a smart reply. Never saw that one coming....dumbass. Who are
you, but the way? Yeah, I thought not.....
Post by Libcrusher Smith
Aren't you the idiot that got his feelings hurt by me, than backed the
wrong horse, Devin, and made a fool of himself and said T-Pain uses a
pitch shifter, not pitch correction as an effect.
See, now there you go again, making a complete fool of yourself in public--yet
again. When will you learn? You won't, and that's your problem....well, one of
your problems, anyway. (ha!)

No, I did not do as you claim dumbass. You'd better go back and re-read some
stuff. You're *really* starting to prove just how stupid you are! Typical repug
IQ level....you shoot your mouth off, without half a clue as to what you're
talking about.

You need to pay closer attention to who says what, pardner.

Seriously....go re-read the stuff you claim to remember. I think you'll be
embarrassed. I mean...you've already mixed me up with someone else once!

Yeah...who's laughing now? Dumbass.....(HA HA HA!)
Post by Libcrusher Smith
.
LOL
"I'd sellout arenas if I sang better" - Mike Pritchard, liberal
And....there you go again. I did not say that. If you're going to quote me, you
could at least get it right. I mean...it's in the very text you cut and pasted,
dumbass!

You are a fucking moron, dude!! And, the more you write here, the more obvious
it is that you're also a dumbass.

Mike
windcrest
2009-10-14 18:36:13 UTC
Post by :-)
[...]
Music died when couples stopped dancing as couples, and just started
"wiggling around" on their own.

The most depressing useless decade in American history is 1964-1974,
selfishness, childish whinyness, hippies, "peaceniks", etc. God how
depressing all that was. In its wake, was the chopped up remains of
couples dance, swing, and music as community. In that time everything
was about me, me, me, the baby-boomers still are all about me, me, me,
its just now more about the X and Y generation supporting their social
security checks for me, me, me.

Rap aint even music, so cant comment there.
DGDevin
You forget to yell at those damn kids to stay off your lawn, grandpa.
Libcrusher Smith
You tell him, Wigger.
Arlowe
2009-10-14 19:12:40 UTC
Post by :-)
In your opinion: The Music Died when...
February 3, 1959

"A long, long time ago...
I can still remember how that music used to make me smile"
Twibil
2009-10-14 20:50:37 UTC
Post by :-)
In your opinion: The Music Died when...
It hasn't yet. And it won't, so long as I'm able to hold a guitar.

Once I'm gone, though, you're on your own.

(Real musicians are solopsists.)
Lawrence Logic
2009-10-14 21:04:05 UTC
Post by Twibil
(Real musicians are solopsists.)
Are you trying to say "soloists" or "solipsists"?
--
Lawrence
"If I was a towel, why would I be wearing this hat and this fake
moustache" - Steven McTowelie - 19 April 2006
Twibil
2009-10-15 00:17:13 UTC
#1. Peer closely at your keyboard.

#2. Note that the "i" and the "o" keys are adjacent.

#3. If that doesn't tell you anything, go ask someone with more than 3
functioning neurons what the word "typo" means.

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/grammarian.htm
DGDevin
2009-10-15 23:32:21 UTC
Maybe he's a sophist.
Tony Done
2009-10-14 21:30:45 UTC
Post by :-)
[...]
I thought Woodstock was the last hoorah.

Tony D
Rufus
2009-10-14 21:42:59 UTC
Post by :-)
[...]
...my opinion is that the internet and digital cooperation/distribution
will be to music what the invention of the printing press was to
toppling entrenched regimes of old...once people in masses realize that
they no longer need a money making bureaucracy standing between
themselves and their own creativity, that they can stand on their own
and market, advertise, and distribute for themselves, directly...then
the life and vitality that have disappeared will return.

...but I'll make no claims whatsoever as to taste.
- Rufus
:-)
2009-10-15 01:47:00 UTC
Post by Rufus
Post by :-)
[...]
      - Rufus- Hide quoted text -
Rufus...did blogs replace the bizillion magazines or newspapers? Your
opinion sounds to have been formed when words like "information super
highway" and "new economy" were 'the buzz'... like 1999.
Without an effective means of distribution, music has become a
salt-like commodity.
We who play an instrument are the last and only ones interested.
Picture the number of guys who got damned good and given
what's happened, just put it down one day. Next, they sold it
all. Finally, they became bitter and aged that way.
Newsflash- There are millions of them. Some type away
into usenet.
I think the CD's death was the final nail.
US consumer demand has a death flu right now and music purchasing
isn't on the radar... imo. M
RichL
+1. The big labels are in for a rude awakening.
Greendistantstar
2009-10-15 02:43:35 UTC
Post by RichL
Post by Rufus
Post by :-)
[...]
Hey....you're replying to someone who responded to a troll.

Shouldn't you be publicly announcing your kill-filing of them, or is it
somehow different when YOU do it, or are YOU the sole arbiter of who can
do what on usenet?

No, you're just a hypocrite.

GDS

"Let's roll!"
:-)
2009-10-15 05:36:06 UTC
+1.  The big labels are in for a rude awakening
"in for?" Ha ha ha. What decade are you stuck in?
Wrong_Note_Rod
2009-10-15 13:51:09 UTC
great point
:-)
2009-10-15 14:16:15 UTC
Post by Wrong_Note_Rod
Post by Rufus
...my opinion is that the internet and digital cooperation/distribution
will be to music what the invention of the printing press was to
toppling entrenched regimes of old..
great point
circa 1999...
"...Why, the new economy and information superhighway is
gonna..." ;-)
Jay
2009-10-14 23:46:06 UTC
Post by :-)
In your opinion: The Music Died when...
What?
For me, October 20, 1977, at 6:52 P.M. A part of me died as well.

http://www.airdisaster.com/reports/ntsb/AAR78-06.pdf

dugjustdug
Yep. That was a tough one, J.
Les Cargill
2009-10-15 02:20:52 UTC
Post by Jay
Post by :-)
In your opinion: The Music Died when...
What?
For me, October 20, 1977, at 6:52 P.M. A part of me died as well.
http://www.airdisaster.com/reports/ntsb/AAR78-06.pdf
The band I played in in high school had a general
tech and all round good guy. One of the funniest people I have ever met.
Three of the bunch made some comedy tapes, in the tradition of
"Firesign" or Nat Lamp. A lot of it was pretty good, and Randy wrote
most of that. Very talented guy - he worked for the Bureau of Mines.

He went to high school with Steve Gaines over in Miami (Ok, not Fl).
Randy had a board tape of "I Know A Little" ( on 8 track, no less ) and
we pretty much sat around that night and listened to that.

Always put gas in the plane.

(Check out "For Allen" here. No Skynrd influence, nothing to see, move
along... )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=330567

You realize in a week that will have been *32* years ago, now? Dude,
we're old.

Les Cargill
Jay
2009-10-15 23:21:14 UTC
Post by Les Cargill
Post by :-)
In your opinion: The Music Died when...
What?
For  me, October 20, 1977, at 6:52 P.M. A part of me died as well.
http://www.airdisaster.com/reports/ntsb/AAR78-06.pdf
The band I played in in high school had a general
tech and all round good guy. One of the funniest people I have ever met.
Three of the bunch made some comedy tapes, in the tradition of
most of that. Very talented guy - he worked for the Bureau of Mines.
He went to high school with Steve Gaines over in Miami (Ok, not Fl).
Randy had a board tape of "I Know A Little" ( on 8 track, no less ) and
we pretty much sat around that night and listened to that.
That's pretty cool Les, I'd love to hear that. I've been through
Miami, Ok., on a Route 66 trip. I was at the concert in Kansas City
when/where Gaines had his famous audition. Still have the ticket stub.
I remember being busy with "extra-curricular activities" and looking
up to see this guy with a scraggly beard just screaming on a slide
solo. It was a raw version of "T for Texas", I didn't know it at the
time.
Post by Les Cargill
Always put gas in the plane.
A pilot once told me, "You burn the same amount of fuel whether it
comes from the top of the tank, or the bottom of the tank". Aerosmith
was interested in purchasing this particular aircraft (serial # 0003,
IIRC), but their pilot "refused to fly the POS".
Post by Les Cargill
(Check out "For Allen" here. No Skynrd influence, nothing to see, move
along... )
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=330567
Yep, I like that. I heard it some time ago, commented on the tone. I
was surprised when you said it was a solid-state Fender. I listened to
it again just last week!
Post by Les Cargill
You realize in a week that will have been *32* years ago, now? Dude,
we're old.
Yeah, I'm 49 on 10/29. The day Duane Allman passed.

Take care Les, I think I'll fire up an amp and jam along with For
Allen again :)

Post by Les Cargill
Les Cargill
Squier
2009-10-15 02:14:39 UTC
Post by :-)
In your opinion: The Music Died when...
When I drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry!

Music ain't dead and never will be.
Can't have a funeral yet. nope. Still kickin and very much alive.
The problem is a lot of people only see and hear mass market stuff.
But there's a lot of good music out there at local and regional
levels from small venues to larger clubs, outdoor festivals.. etc.
And of course there's also college radio rather than commercial crap radio.
And various indie web radio.. etc
It just takes a little more work than flipping on a TV
or radio and getting instant mass market music schlock
which is really only there to grab a specific market to sell to.

So music ain't dead. The problem is there are a lot
of brain dead people out there that suck up mass market crap.

Come to think of it - I suppose 'classic' rock at one time
was also 'mass market' crap. So I suppose a lot of people
turned off "The Who" and "Led Zeppelin" (and also got rid of the
Roger Daltry cape and groin hugging jeans).
I mean weren't those the big mass media hyped bands of the day. (?)

and instead they tuned into bands like Zappa/Mothers and
maybe some Capn Beefheart or
maybe the Grateful Dead and so on...

there's always alternatives to mass market sell sell sell crap.
so don't let it get you down.
WB
2009-10-16 16:36:55 UTC
Post by :-)
Now you...what's your opinion?
MTV killed it by promoting cheap gangster shit.