To all the "Brand-Name Snobs" out there..
Steven Johnson
2006-02-18 17:53:21 UTC
***********Kinda Long...consider yourself warned!!******************

Well troops, I finally got to play live with my newest acquisition. My
"Riff" Rickenbacker 330 copy, and I have to tell you...it's one of the
nicest guitars I've ever played. And I've played a TON!! (literally!) My
old lead player had a mid 70's Les Paul Goldtop with ORIGINAL P.A.F.'s
installed (he got the pickups at a garage sale for $10...lucky bastard!!)
I've also owned and played multiple Gibson SG's, Fender Strats, Tele's etc.
My CURRENT arsenal consists of a Cort Matt "Guitar" Murphy signature model,
a Washburn HB-30 (335 copy), an Austin Tele copy with Texas Specials, and
the aforementioned Riff.

Now there are some out there that will scoff at my collection, and say
something to the effect of "Well, you don't have a Gibson/Fender/PRS, so
your collection are nothing but junk". To those nay-sayers, I say.....with
all due respect...."Bite Me!!" I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't
matter WHAT name is on the headstock. A good guitar is a good guitar, and a
P.O.S. is a P.O.S.-regardless of country of origin, or label on the box!!
I've played the high-priced models, and some of the entry level axes, and
have found diamonds in ALL categories...as well as instruments that would be
better used for kindling!

The biggest problem I see, is that people automatically dismiss any guitar
without one of the "Big 3" name brands, just because it's not a "branded"
guitar. Ask yourself one question..."Did I give the off-brand guitar a fair
shot and play it with an open mind, or did I dislike it even before I played
it?" If you're honest with yourself, then you might try to give that
Ibanez, Washburn, Cort, ESP another try and this time..REALLY try it out.
You might be surprised. And like the big brands, try SEVERAL of the same
model. You'll find junky ones as well as decent ones in the mix....just
like the Big 3!

It reminds me of the days, not to long ago when people wouldn't look TWICE
at a Toyota, simply because it wasn't an "American" car......now the biggest
seller every year is the Camry. What changed? Did the American buyer
decide that cheaper was better? Perhaps the cars have improved to the point
where they're worth the money? Maybe their American counterparts have
declined in quality enough to have made the playing field level? What makes
you think the same hasn't happened in the guitar industry? Samick has been
making guitars for decades, and at last look...they made more than any other
company. Why? And why does the "Big 3" USE Samick to make their "cheap
line" guitars? Is it because they might actually be DECENT??

Don't get me wrong....I still love the sound of a Strat through a Fender
tube amp, and a Les Paul played through a Marshall just kicks a$$. My lead
player uses a Strat and a Hot Rod Deluxe, and has a REALLY decent sound.
Funny thing though....I play MY guitars through my solid-state (trans-tube)
Peavey, and he comments on how nice MY guitars sound. Go figure.......

If you've read this far...I applaud you. My point, if there IS one in the
disjointed ramblings above, is don't write off ANY guitar, just because of
the name on it. You will be surprised at what's out there if you keep an
open mind. And for those of you who disagree, it's your right...and I
support that. But to anyone who INSULTS my collection based on the names
alone, I say THIS...."Pretend I'm a Candle, and it's your birthday!!"

*************Puts on asbestos boxers and awaits the flames*************

-
"Every day I think to myself, 'People couldn't POSSIBLY get any more
stupid...'
Every day, I'm proven HORRIBLY wrong!!"
JeffinMississippi
2006-02-18 18:08:04 UTC
Good post. I agree.
Frank Piotrowski
2006-02-18 18:23:32 UTC
I fully agree!
PRS GEEK
2006-02-18 18:31:35 UTC
Post by Steven Johnson
***********Kinda Long...consider yourself warned!!******************
Sensible post snipped...

There's no denying that there are those who hold a romantic position toward
tradition. And there are those who don't care at all. Then there's those who
are in the middle (like me)...

I have owned a zillion Strats, now I own a G&L and it's the best Strat I've
ever owned, bar none. I've owned a bunch of Tele's and now I own a Custom
Made job, BUT we put a Fender decal on it... Looks cool. I just had to get
that logo on there.

My moniker is "prs geek", so yeah, I play them and own three right now. I
think I've had about 20 or so PRS' since '90. I will say one thing about
PRS, is they are pretty damned consistent with regards to quality. I use the
PRS' a lot live and in the studio. They are versatile.

I just try to buy quality stuff and don't care TOO much about the logo, but
I'd have a hard time trying to buy an off brand. I just think that Gibson
and Fender (while overpriced) have that traditional look that we all know
and recognize. People still ask me if the G&L is a Strat.. I don't like
oddball looking guitars, so there's my tradition. It was hard enough getting
used to a PRS headstock in '90 after playing Strats the previous 15 years.
Now, the PRS headstock is commonplace and acceptable as "standard
tradition"... I guess, maybe, maybe not.

What the hell am I saying, anyway... Just rambling. Carry on.
--
Jeff

http://tinyurl.com/8sz9r
Steven Johnson
2006-02-18 18:45:53 UTC
The interesting thing about my new "Riff" guitar, is that it's a "Lawsuit
Model" Rickenbacker copy. Ric's were the "go-to" guitar for a long time
(see early Beatles footage), and Tom Petty uses one, so it's not an
"unfamiliar" looking guitar. In fact, last night SEVERAL people said
"Rickenbacker", before they saw the name on the headstock....which I guess
Is WHY Ric sued them....LOL!!

SJ
http://tinyurl.com/8sz9r
PRS GEEK
2006-02-18 18:53:29 UTC
Post by Steven Johnson
The interesting thing about my new "Riff" guitar, is that it's a "Lawsuit
Model" Rickenbacker copy. Ric's were the "go-to" guitar for a long time
(see early Beatles footage), and Tom Petty uses one, so it's not an
"unfamiliar" looking guitar. In fact, last night SEVERAL people said
"Rickenbacker", before they saw the name on the headstock....which I guess
Is WHY Ric sued them....LOL!!
That's cool... Does it SOUND like a Ric? I'd like to check one out
sometime, but those Ric necks are impossible.

Jeff
Andy
2006-02-19 02:23:12 UTC
Post by PRS GEEK
Post by Steven Johnson
The interesting thing about my new "Riff" guitar, is that it's a "Lawsuit
Model" Rickenbacker copy. Ric's were the "go-to" guitar for a long time
(see early Beatles footage), and Tom Petty uses one, so it's not an
"unfamiliar" looking guitar. In fact, last night SEVERAL people said
"Rickenbacker", before they saw the name on the headstock....which I guess
Is WHY Ric sued them....LOL!!
That's cool... Does it SOUND like a Ric? I'd like to check one out
sometime, but those Ric necks are impossible.
Jeff
FWIW, the worst guitar I've ever owned was a genuine Ric 620/12.

Looked great tho'

Andy.
M.J.P.
2006-02-18 20:01:54 UTC
Post by Steven Johnson
The interesting thing about my new "Riff" guitar, is that it's a "Lawsuit
Model" Rickenbacker copy. Ric's were the "go-to" guitar for a long time
(see early Beatles footage), and Tom Petty uses one, so it's not an
"unfamiliar" looking guitar. In fact, last night SEVERAL people said
"Rickenbacker", before they saw the name on the headstock....which I guess
Is WHY Ric sued them....LOL!!
SJ
This is what really rubs me about you guys with these copy guitars
bragging them up like you got the cats balls:

1. How much time, money, did this company have to put in to
designing this guitar? Absofuckinlutely none. It was already done
for them, most likely by an AMERICAN company, by AMERICAN
Engineers, by AMERICAN Ingenuity.

2. If these copy companies can build a copy of superior quality than
the real ones, why does it seem that they just cant invent an original
design that would be instantly recognizable worldwide, sets a standard
for the rest to follow, and is imitated by countless other brainless
guitar manufacturers? Why?

Have Fun. MJP
Keith Adams
2006-02-19 02:50:13 UTC
It doesnt take any ingenuity or creativity to draw the shape of a
guitar body. What these companies are doing is selling the shapes that
people want. If you've ever taken the time to notice all the most
popular shapes are an acoustic flat top or archtops shape with a
portion of one or both of the neck side bouts missing..Since
Rickenbacker,Gibson And Fender have been around longer than most others
they already chopped the bouts in any pleasing to the eye shape there
is. What does that leave anyone else? Nothing . The V or explorer shape
have never went over big with the general public.

Have Fun. MJP
M.J.P.
2006-02-19 03:22:27 UTC
Post by Keith Adams
It doesnt take any ingenuity or creativity to draw the shape of a
guitar body. What these companies are doing is selling the shapes that
people want. If you've ever taken the time to notice all the most
popular shapes are an acoustic flat top or archtops shape with a
portion of one or both of the neck side bouts missing..Since
Rickenbacker,Gibson And Fender have been around longer than most others
they already chopped the bouts in any pleasing to the eye shape there
is. What does that leave anyone else? Nothing . The V or explorer shape
have never went over big with the general public.
I see your point but take for example the Super Strats (Jackson's,
Ibanez, Charvel) they took the basic Strat idea and modified it to
the point where it really doesn't look like a Strat (larger cutouts, TOTALLY
different headstock shape, wider fretboards with distinct inlay)
plus added features that Fender just wouldn't do at the time.
I don't have an issue with IMPROVING on a design, its when
the attempt is made to make them so identical as to confuse
people as to what is being played. AKA blatant Rip-Off.

Like i said how much time and money did Fender , Gibson, Ric
spend PROMOTING their guitars? Building market share?
Creating a loyal customer base by giving them THEIR DESIGNS,
designs associated with a particular company.
See the Strat SHAPE think FENDER, not Cort!

Its just real cheesy and cheap. MJP
Rob Duncan

Grip
2006-02-18 20:52:58 UTC
What ever floats one's boat is fine by me! On the PRS thing, one of the
nicest pieces of furniture I've ever owned, super gorgeous, but guess what,
I could not stand playing it, sound and feel simply were not me, but dang it
looked good on the wall! My buddy has #3 and his brother # 4something. Those
I'ds like to have for collectors reasons
misterwilliamc
2006-02-18 21:18:40 UTC
Post by Steven Johnson
"Well, you don't have a Gibson/Fender/PRS
I still toy with the idea of a section of 2x4 stenciled with, "ACME," a
neck slapped on, some decent pickups, to make a point about pickin'...

Need one on a hit record and then up and flying:
Various models:
Ugly Stick (budget version)
Lick Stick (standard version)
The Stickler (heavy metal version)
Stick It Up Your A.. (punk rock retro version)
Stick In The Mud (dipped in dirt, now you're into a custom shop piece)
Dip Stick (tentative model, currently in negotiations with Valvwolene as
co-conspirator)

Lately I've thought about offering a deluxe supreme version of each of
the basic line.

That would be a piece of 2x6.

Your Cort Murphy guitar, bet it is nice.
Had a 1st generation Cort Triggs 2, immpeccable.
And if yesteryear was the Golden Age of guitars, today is the Platinum Age.
FirstAlternate
2006-02-18 21:44:11 UTC
We older guys plead guity with an explanation. When we started, the off
brand stuff, the "Fujiamas" - truly sucked.. To get anything good at all
you had to go with a recognised name. For many of us, that tendency
persists despite the fact that today's entry level and off brand stuff is
pretty damn good.

I do not "collect" guitars, I use them. So I bought a Parker when everyone
thought it was from Mars. I leave my Martin and Taylor home and take the
Ovie to the gig, because thats my favorite tool for bar acoustic gigs.
People are always turning up their noses at my instruments and equipment,
but my car is worse.
markd
2006-02-18 22:03:44 UTC
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 21:44:11 GMT, "FirstAlternate"
Post by FirstAlternate
We older guys plead guity with an explanation. When we started, the off
brand stuff, the "Fujiamas" - truly sucked.. To get anything good at all
you had to go with a recognised name. For many of us, that tendency
persists despite the fact that today's entry level and off brand stuff is
pretty damn good.
I do not "collect" guitars, I use them. So I bought a Parker when everyone
thought it was from Mars. I leave my Martin and Taylor home and take the
Ovie to the gig, because thats my favorite tool for bar acoustic gigs.
People are always turning up their noses at my instruments and equipment,
but my car is worse.
Why would anyone turn up their nose at your Martin, Taylor or Ovation?

I'm an older guy too (getting there anyway), and have no guilt in
owning a Fender, Gibson, etc. made in USA. I also own 4 Chevys and
would walk before owning a Toyota. That's just me and my stubborn
U.S. pride I don't apologize to anyone for it. I realize it's harder &
harder to buy *anything* truly Made In USA...but I still try every now
and then. I pretty much feel the same way about that as the OP did
about people judging his gear, ie. they can bl*w me if they don't like
what I buy.
FirstAlternate
2006-02-19 00:18:04 UTC
Post by markd
Why would anyone turn up their nose at your Martin, Taylor or Ovation?
Usually it's the Ovie because that's the one I gig with the most, but I have
had comments about the Taylor and the Martin from those who shun all
production instruments.

I make no apology for the cars, as I get whats leftover from the wife and
kids. Tonight I have a choice between a Geo Metro or a twelve year old
Aerostar. I'll go with the Ford because it's snowing. If I wreck it, who
cares? Life is good.
CWB
2006-02-19 00:07:54 UTC
Post by Steven Johnson
If you've read this far...I applaud you. My point, if there IS one in the
disjointed ramblings above, is don't write off ANY guitar, just because of
the name on it. You will be surprised at what's out there if you keep an
open mind. And for those of you who disagree, it's your right...and I
support that. But to anyone who INSULTS my collection based on the names
alone, I say THIS...."Pretend I'm a Candle, and it's your birthday!!"
Quite happy here with my copies and the other guitars.

Charlie
http://project43.steve-mann.com/
Grumpy
2006-02-19 00:14:43 UTC
Post by Steven Johnson
To those nay-sayers, I say.....with
all due respect...."Bite Me!!" I've come to the conclusion that it
doesn't matter WHAT name is on the headstock.
Problem is, Steve, you're still playing a copy. And in your case, a
pirated copy.

I've got nothing against low-priced, well-built guitars featuring
interesting original designs. If they meet these criteria--especially
original design-- I could give a rat's ass where they come from, and who
built it. I don't personally like Ibanez' designs, but at least they're
their own. I also don't mind reissued 'hommage' models of long defunct
guitars, like the Danelectro reissues or most of the Eastwood models.

But playing a copy will always mean...you're playing a COPY. That is, if
nothing else, you're telling the world that you're too cheap to spring
for the real thing. And in your case, you're contributing to piracy and
depriving someone else--the creator or designer-- of potential sales.
It's no different from stealing or copying anything else.

Personally, I have no problem with someone downloading music or films or
tv shows, if it's for use in their own home. I.e., they're not trying to
make any money off of it, they're not flaunting it in anyone's face,
they're not pretending to be some smartass thinking HE'S got the secret
of the way the guitar industry ought to be run.

But YOU'RE telling us you're getting ONSTAGE with this thing. And the
moment I see anyone playing a ripoff guitar on stage I have to seriously
wonder about the person, his integrity and certainly his artistic
integrity. I'd much rather see a mediocre guitarist playing a 'real'
guitar that required a real sacrifice, then some hotshot showing off his
cheapshit gear and expecting the crowd to think he's something special.

And you're flaunting your position as an accessory to a crime -- at least
where I live, you can get arrested for knowingly buying fake goods.

But this opinion includes cheap authorized cousins, like Epiphone copies
of Gibson guitars (except when played by 18 year olds and under). At
least Fender has the good marketing sense to release their own brand
guitars at several price points.

And I've also been guilty of buying cheapo knockoff guitars too...but the
fact that I knew that I was holding a knockoff always took the fun away
for me.

It's like buying a 'Rolex' for $10.

But hey, that's my opinion. You're happy with your gear? That's your
right. Just don't expect to win over many of us nay-sayers.
MartinGibsonTaylor
2006-02-19 00:56:09 UTC
"A good guitar is a good guitar", true statement, and there are
companies that produce quality product at a reasonable price, my
favorites in this category are Ibanez and Washburn (both use factories
in Korea and China to produce most of their instruments). There are
other manufactures putting out quality product at great prices, but
there seems to be very few.... I get tired of reading reviews of people
who claim their Jay Turser Les Paul is as good as a Gibson or their OLP
Axis is of the same quality as a Music Man Axis. Both Jay Turser and
OLP make outstanding guitars for their price range, but musicians who
can't tell the difference between these instruments would be wise not
to get so vocal about it. To do so is just to embarse ones self, and it
shows lack of knowedge of what makes for a quality guitar.... But then
again, everyone has their opinion. I may hate punk or rap music not
consider those guys artist because of their lack, but in the end it's
really whatever works for you... Still what makes for a high quality
guitar doesn't change, craftsmanship isn't that hard to detect (or
shouldn't be anyway) for some it seems rather difficult. I think there
are a large group of people who just feel the need to let others know
there guitars aren't junk to help prove it too themselfs, whatever.....

One counter perspective could be to look at the true legends: Hendrix,
Clapton, Van Halen... My bet is you could hand these guys any grade of
instrument (FirstAct, Squire, etc...) and they are going to be able to
make it come alive.... But if you look at what guitars these guys are
playing with or what they played with in the past, it's pretty
consistant... Martin, Fender, Gibson, Music Man, etc... These companies
are built a heritage for themselfs and have rightfully earned the
respect of the very best musicians, and there is a reason why the very
best pick certain models and makes, their person taste is part of it,
but quality is quality and what isn't isn't....

The reason so many discourage against the lower end brands is because
these guitars are so attractive to beginners and beginners (and some
intermediate players) aren't capable of determining a high quality
instrument from a crap guitar....
Keith Adams
2006-02-19 03:51:20 UTC
Well put Martin Gibson Taylor but I've known some very gifted guitar
players that know quality,want quality but theres just no way they can
afford it. Anybody who would spend one penny on a guitar they couldnt
afford before their children ate doesnt deserve the hands it takes to
hold a guitar. I know a guy who could have made a good name for himself
playing guitar but he screwed it right outta his hands. He owned
Gibsons and such but not since his wife started having kids. It dont
hardly matter to him though. He loves his children and them Squires
sound just as good as any Les Paul ever created when he's playing one.
Come to think of it he did own a beautiful BC Rich Mockingbird but that
SOB was in the pawnshop more often as not.