Rush cover song
David Axt
2006-12-01 23:08:54 UTC
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has the
range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance band, what song
would be good for us to cover?

Thanks,
DA
Maximus
2006-12-01 23:16:32 UTC
How about Battle Scar? Actually a Max Webster song... If I had to
choose a popular "radio" song perhaps the very old Fly By Night would
work well. If more experimental then Working Man would be cool.

Workingman.
DA
The Chris
2006-12-03 03:14:16 UTC
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has
the range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance
band, what song would be good for us to cover?
Thanks,
DA
I played a gig last night and somebody yelled out for 'Working Man'...
Not really a dance song, but I gave him the few bars I remembered...

Radio Song?? I have NO memory of 'FBN' being a radio song... I'd opt for:

Spirit of the Radio
Tom Sawyer
Limelight
etc.
c***@hotmail.com
2006-12-01 23:24:20 UTC
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has the
range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance band, what song
would be good for us to cover?
Thanks,
DA
Tom Sawyer....probably the best bar rush cover,the girls don't get too
pissed when you play this.:)
EF in FLA
2006-12-01 23:26:20 UTC
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has the
range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance band, what
song would be good for us to cover?
Limelight!

ef
dugjustdug
2006-12-01 23:33:20 UTC
I'm with Max on this - Fly by Night.
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has the
range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance band, what
song would be good for us to cover?Limelight!
ef
Dean
2006-12-01 23:41:23 UTC
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has the
range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance band, what song
would be good for us to cover?
Thanks,
DA
Rush is far from the best band to cover if you are playing "danceable"
songs, what with unusual time signatures and frequent time changes.
Their tempos usually aren't suited for dancing either.

That said, I think Analog Kid from Signals would make a danceable tune
with a little creative arrangement (if you know the song, you'll know
what I'm talking about. If you don't know the song, have a listen and
you will!)

Earthshine from Vapor Trails could work, too. Maybe too new for a
"classic rock" dance band.
Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge
New World Man
Patrick Keenan
2006-12-01 23:55:27 UTC
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has the
range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance band, what
song would be good for us to cover?
Thanks,
DA
While Rush played several dances in my high school cafeteria, with folded
tables as the stage, I've never really thought of them as a "dance band".

-pk
dugjustdug
2006-12-02 00:05:54 UTC
Geez. This one'll date ya. "In the Mood" from the 1974 "Rush" LP. My
high school band played this. Cheesy, yes, but, basically an up-tempo
blues/rock progression.
David Axt
2006-12-02 00:27:38 UTC
Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

"In the Mood"....hmmmm. Our female singer will have to change lyrics.

How about "New World Man"?

-DA
blues/rock progression.
Steve M. Mann
2006-12-02 00:30:09 UTC
On 12/1/2006 6:27 PM, David Axt pondered for some undetermined amount of
Post by David Axt
Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
"In the Mood"....hmmmm. Our female singer will have to change lyrics.
How about "New World Man"?
-DA
Freewill has got to be the answer!
--
Steve
Project-43
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Steve M. Mann
2006-12-02 01:36:05 UTC
Post by David Axt
Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
"In the Mood"....hmmmm. Our female singer will have to change lyrics.
How about "New World Man"?
-DA
Freewill has got to be the answer!
Uh, I guess I should have had quotes around "Freewill". :-)
--
Steve
Project-43
circle end? Who are the unwatched men?"
The Chris
2006-12-03 03:18:34 UTC
Post by David Axt
Post by dugjustdug
high school band played this. Cheesy, yes, but, basically an up-tempo
blues/rock progression.
If you ask me - all the material on their third live album (forget the
title - has songs like Subdivisons on it) is pretty dancey. I never liked
the albums that the material was culled from - it was all post 'Signals'.
Sounds like a dance album to me. But, would anybody know that material?
s***@hotmail.com
2006-12-03 06:53:41 UTC
Post by The Chris
If you ask me - all the material on their third live album (forget the
title - has songs like Subdivisons on it) is pretty dancey.
That was "A Show Of Hands."
Post by The Chris
I never liked
the albums that the material was culled from - it was all post 'Signals'.
Sounds like a dance album to me. But, would anybody know that material?
That was the "synth-heavy" period for Rush, and it has that "80s rock
pop" feel--all of it relatively danceable. There's some good stuff on
the albums from that period, but hardly any of it gets played at all on
classic rock radio. As limited as radio playlists are today, the
audience would be more likely to have heard "Working Man," "Finding My
Way," "Closer to the Heart," "Spirit of Radio," "Tom Sawyer," and
"Limelight."

Here's a somewhat more obscure song suggestion if your band has the
keys and chops to pull it off -- "Dreamline" from Roll The Bones.

Stratbat
The Chris
2006-12-03 03:15:29 UTC
A notch less cheezy than 'I think I'm going bald' :)
PRS GEEK
2006-12-02 01:05:35 UTC
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has the
range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance band, what
song would be good for us to cover?
2112 Side 1? ;-)

Jeff
David Axt

-DA
CWB
I'll second this. Why fuck around, just go for it.
n***@wt.net
2006-12-02 07:33:30 UTC
Post by PRS GEEK
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has the
range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance band, what
song would be good for us to cover?
2112 Side 1? ;-)
Jeff
Yea, now yer talkin... I like most all the older songs though.
More "raw" rock than the new fangled techno sound they came
up with later. To me, 2112 was the ultimate Rush record back in
it's day. All the songs fit pretty well, and it was more like a
continuous
story, than a bunch of different songs unrelated. Some of the newer
stuff is ok too, but it's harder to pull off live and sound credible..
Or to me anyway.. I do like "analog kid" a lot. But it's more rock rush
than techno rush. The solo to that song is not for the faint of heart.
The song itself is easy though as far as the chords.
MK
mercutio
2006-12-02 02:21:39 UTC
On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 15:08:54 -0800, "David Axt" <daxtATpacifierDOTcom>
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has the
range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance band, what song
would be good for us to cover?
Thanks,
DA
That's easy Closer To The Heart. If you don't like that how about Roll
the Bones
Jim
Daniel Dreibelbis
2006-12-02 03:27:42 UTC
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has the
range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance band, what song
would be good for us to cover?
for a straight beat, I'd suggest "In The Mood" and "Working Man" from
the first album, and "Tom Sawyer" from _Moving Pictures_ (and in the
case of the latter, you'd better have a >damn< good drummer) :)

Slowdance? "Different Strings" from _Permanent Waves_ .

Wanna freak 'em out? "La Villa Strangiato" =:0
--
Dan Dreibelbis, Guitar Nerd - Better Living Through Home Recording
Current song - "Unexplained Bacon"
Montgomery BOO...URNS
Spirit of Radio
Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge

barring that, Subdivisions, Analog Kid, or Losing It.
The Repair Guy
2006-12-02 06:25:18 UTC
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the
lead vocalist has the range! Anyhow since we are
pretty much a classic rock dance band, what song
would be good for us to cover?
Listen to some. Do one you like.

The Repair Guy
repairguy1993 dot netfirms dot com
n***@wt.net
2006-12-02 07:42:25 UTC
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has the
range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance band, what song
would be good for us to cover?
Thanks,
DA
Hummmm, if you gotta a female singer, I guess
"I think I'm going bald" is out of the question..
MK
_Bigred
2006-12-02 09:02:37 UTC
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has the
range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance band, what song
TOM SAWYER is probably one of their most recognized and liked tunes. It
rocks too!

Keep Rockin'
_Bigred

I'm protected by SpamBrave
http://www.spambrave.com/
Damit Spock .. I'm only a Brain Transplant Doctor
2006-12-02 23:58:13 UTC
Post by David Axt
classic rock dance band, what song
would be good for us to cover?
Rush is a horrible band to cover
because it will show the audience how bad you
really are .... Singer , Guitarist / Drummer /
and how dance less Rush songs are. Actually ...
I think they haven't done shit since they did
2112.

You are going to try it anyway ... and you should,
but all the people that were trying to dance will quickly run
to their seats trying to avoid another edition of Rock Star finalist.

Stick to the classic dance songs:

Hollywood Nights
Sweat Home Alabama
Tak'n Care of Business
Any old ZZ Top
Under The Board Walk
Rock Me Baby.
Any Blues Boogie.

David Light
2006-12-03 18:32:50 UTC
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has the
range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance band, what song
would be good for us to cover?
My band does Limelight. Sometimes it goes over great. Sometimes
not as great. It really depends on if it's a dance crowd or not.
Either way there is ussually a couple of guys that comment on how
great it was during the break.
AllenHaynes
"Time Stand Still"
m***@webtv.net
2006-12-03 22:11:32 UTC
" In The End "
" Lakeside Park "
" La Villa Strangiato "
" Different Strings "
m***@webtv.net
" Mystic Rhythms " is another good one.
b.f.
Bastille Day.
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Steve M. Mann
2006-12-04 14:39:43 UTC
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has the
range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance band, what song
would be good for us to cover?
Thanks,
DA
Free Will...
Gawd... I was hoping I wasn't the only one that was going to suggest
this. It's only the best Rush song ever. And if the original poster
can't make up his mind, well, you know what they say... (see sig)
--
Steve
Project-43
Eggs Zachtly
2006-12-05 03:18:07 UTC
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has the
range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance band, what song
would be good for us to cover?
Thanks,
DA
Free Will...
Gawd... I was hoping I wasn't the only one that was going to suggest
this. It's only the best Rush song ever. And if the original poster
can't make up his mind, well, you know what they say... (see sig)
It's a good tune, but I'd never call it the "best Rush song ever". Their
early stuff was much tastier, IMO. They lost that "edge" to their sound, as
early as A Farewell to Kings. Their music got almost techno, and far from
the rock sound they had. A lot of friends, my age, feel the same way.

Every year, there's a rumor that Rush is doing a 2112 tour. Only the early
stuff. Gets everyone worked up and then, no. Only the latest album, and a
handful of the classics. I'd much rather see them do a show with nothing
after 1977-78.

No offense, I know you're a Rush fan and all, but they lost my interest
(save for a few songs here and there), almost 30 years ago.
--
Eggs

- The Lady of the Lake-- her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held
aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine
providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your
king!
lab~rat >:-)
2006-12-06 13:19:36 UTC
On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:18:07 -0600, Eggs Zachtly
Post by Eggs Zachtly
Post by David Axt
[...]
Honestly, I got into Rush from the Grace Under Pressure album. I
played What You're Doing in bands for years, but never really much
liked them. Then on vacation one year I split my foot open and was
stuck with that album, my acoustic and a jar of painkillers. I
learned every song on the album, then rediscovered Rush backward from
there...
markd
Bytor and The Snow Dog. Should definitely get people's groove on. ;)
Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge
2006-12-09 17:26:46 UTC
Post by markd
Post by David Axt
My band wants to do a Rush cover song....and the lead vocalist has the
range! Anyhow since we are pretty much a classic rock dance band, what song
would be good for us to cover?
Thanks,
DA
Bytor and The Snow Dog. Should definitely get people's groove on. ;)
If that doesn't do it, nothing will