Opposite of GAS
DeeAa
2006-03-16 10:34:29 UTC
I've been suffering from the opposite of GAS lately...I've sold off most my
guitars and musical gear, although I've also bought some stuff - but in much
less in quantity, even though sometimes I've exchanged a load of less-good
gadgets for one good mike or something. Sold my amps off long since and now
I'm wondering if I have too many pre's too.

It's just...I'm propably never gonna play another gig or need very
high-quality instruments in a big studio session anyway, so why would I need
more than one guitar basically?
Have I gone mad or gone senile, am I being a scrooge about myself or have I
simply finally grown out of the want for 'guy toys'? Should I just get the
cheapest mail-order guitar and a POD and be content with that?

Everywhere I look, there's somebody who plays better or sings better, so why
bother, I think.
Hell, the world is full of crappy musicians, who still make it, even worse
ones who still strive on stubbornly, and then there are some good ones who
never get anywhere and finally some that do make it. But the point is, isn't
there enough players and singers to go around already, so why bother? It's
funny because next month yet another EP will be released with 4 songs I did,
and the band has asked me to gig with them too, but I just feel I can't be
bothered. Another guy keeps asking me to create a DIO tribute band with him,
they need a singer. Can't be bothered. But it bugs me.

I've done maybe 30 demos, lots of gigs, some EP's and what I'd estimate
about 300 songs I guess and what good has it ever brought me besides the fun
part of creating music? A few dozen radioplays, a few thousand in royalties,
a few thousand in gig fees - but I'm sure it's always taken much more money
than I've ever put in it. WHY bother?

I'm also pretty sure I don't want my son to pick up the band habit from me
either...dunno if I want him to go thru the same hell of too many women, too
much booze and too many stupid tours and tiresome gigs and eternal lack of
money.

Nevermind, I'm just venting my frustration with my lack of ambition here I
guess.
Yard Dog
2006-03-16 11:32:29 UTC
Post by DeeAa
[...]
Everyone is different but for myself I gave up on the "making it" part years
ago and decided I wasn't going to spend a lot of my hard earned cash on my
rig. Now I have a wonderful time playing in a cover band and I satisfy my
need to create in my little studio. Once in awhile a friend or two will hear
my original stuff and I encourage all my friends and co-workers to check my
band out at a gig.

The way I look at it now is this: 'If I am not having fun, then it's not
worth it".

So far, so good.
Dr. Zontar
2006-03-16 13:21:08 UTC
Post by Yard Dog
Everyone is different but for myself I gave up on the "making it" part years
ago and decided I wasn't going to spend a lot of my hard earned cash on my
rig.
I'm basically a tightwad. I have a wife, an ex, two kids, and three
cats to support. So I can't spend a fortune on gear. The only thing I
spent over $300 on was my XT Live - and that involved a lot of saving.

Even if I suddenly became rich and famous (HA!), I think I'd still love
digging around pawnshops for deals.
Post by Yard Dog
The way I look at it now is this: 'If I am not having fun, then it's not
worth it".
Exactly. That's what I love about my band. We're three guys who just
love to play.

- Rich
Yard Dog

So far, so good.
RichCI
2006-03-16 13:58:54 UTC
Post by DeeAa
[...]
I gave up on the rock star thing years ago. Heck, I even stopped
playing altogether for several years. Then, like two years ago, I got
the itch to play again. I started noodling around at first then
actually practicing a bit and got into playing just for the fun of it.

I never had great equipment during the time I wanted to try and make it
and that carried up to when I started playing again for the most part
except that one of my guitars is nice. I always had amplifiers that
were good or just okay, but nothing great. So, now that I'm older,
have a good job and making better money than when I was digging ditches
as a landscaper, I'm in a position to buy some things that make me
happy and guitar gear is one of those things. I wanted some of the
things I couldn't afford when I was younger plus I wanted to try some
new things as well. I'm not a rich man so I can't just buy anything
that I want, but I do allow myself the luxury of buying some stuff.

I see it this way: Some guys have fast sports cars, other guys have
big, elaborate home entertainment centers and I have a bitchin' guitar
rig. It all depends on what makes you happy but I do think that
everyone is entitled to have some toys as long as buying those toys
doesn't infringe upon financial responsibilities.
d***@altavista.com
2006-03-16 16:17:35 UTC
Post by RichCI
I see it this way: Some guys have fast sports cars, other guys have
big, elaborate home entertainment centers and I have a bitchin' guitar
rig. It all depends on what makes you happy but I do think that
everyone is entitled to have some toys as long as buying those toys
doesn't infringe upon financial responsibilities.
That's my take too. For which my wife is grateful. I figure, I've
amassed ~$6000 worth of gear in the 30+ years I've been playing...a
drop in the bucket compared to these guys who need their Corvette
(and/or younger women!) as soon as they hit 45.

I don't know if I have what it takes to be a rock star; I don't mean
chops-wise, but temperament and tolerance for the price you have to pay
to make it on a commercial level. I never thought my outlet would be
heading a praise band for kids looking for some relevant, contemporary
meaning in church life. But strange things happen along the way.

RF
Thad
2006-03-16 15:52:06 UTC
Post by DeeAa
[...]
It sounds like you just need a break. Put it all down for a while and
come back to it when you're ready.
If you're dumping equipment don't get rid of anything irreplaceable. I
did that and regret it. Nothing worth megabucks, just rare oddballs
that I haven't been able to replace.

When you get the itch again, scratch it!
Thad
Johnny Thunders Jr.
2006-03-16 16:09:00 UTC
Great post!
"too many women...." ????? That's a problem ????
DeeAa
2006-03-16 17:35:58 UTC
Post by Johnny Thunders Jr.
Great post!
"too many women...." ????? That's a problem ????
Well yeah, it can...I'm pretty sure my first 2 marriages suffered really
badly from my band hobby...a woman's bound to be jealous when a guy vanishes
off for a weeked to do a few gigs somewhere etc...
d***@altavista.com
2006-03-16 16:10:51 UTC
Post by DeeAa
Everywhere I look, there's somebody who plays better or sings better, so why
bother, I think.
Hell, the world is full of crappy musicians, who still make it, even worse
ones who still strive on stubbornly, and then there are some good ones who
never get anywhere and finally some that do make it. But the point is, isn't
there enough players and singers to go around already, so why bother?
Come on man! Music's not a competition. It's not sport (unless you're
a shredder). Music is food for the soul, whether you play in front of
100,000 screaming fans in Rio or by yourself in your basement. Why
bother? Because it's good for you! I've heard a lot of your stuff,
and it's VERY good. We all need to *create*, and music's a great
medium for that.

It's
Post by DeeAa
funny because next month yet another EP will be released with 4 songs I did,
and the band has asked me to gig with them too, but I just feel I can't be
bothered. Another guy keeps asking me to create a DIO tribute band with him,
they need a singer. Can't be bothered. But it bugs me.
If it bugs you, then you should do it! Trust your gut feeling. Do a
Dio tribute, an ABBA tribute, a Paul Simon tribute...it's all good.
Who cares if you never "make it"...most people who aspire to be stars
never do anyway. For the stuff I listen to, a lot of my favorite
albums happen to be debut albums that were driven by innocence and a
damn-the-torpedoes attitude. The trick is to keep tapping into that
muse for music sake's, not for the sake of success.

Success happens two ways: It's either organic (you've created
something that hits a visceral chord on a large scale), or it's
manufactured (in which case you will be exposed sooner than later).
Post by DeeAa
I've done maybe 30 demos, lots of gigs, some EP's and what I'd estimate
about 300 songs I guess and what good has it ever brought me besides the fun
part of creating music? A few dozen radioplays, a few thousand in royalties,
a few thousand in gig fees - but I'm sure it's always taken much more money
than I've ever put in it. WHY bother?
Because you're an artist, not an olympic gymnast.
Post by DeeAa
I'm also pretty sure I don't want my son to pick up the band habit from me
either...dunno if I want him to go thru the same hell of too many women, too
much booze and too many stupid tours and tiresome gigs and eternal lack of
money.
Your son may not not have any need for music as his muse; only he knows
what floats his boat. If music is his thing, you can't stop him
either. You can encourage some balance in his life (music as a hobby
that could lead somewhere?) *AND* a career doing something else he's
hopefully good at and he doesn't hate that pays the bills.
Post by DeeAa
Nevermind, I'm just venting my frustration with my lack of ambition here I
guess.
Vent away brutha... ;-)

RF
misterwilliamc
2006-03-16 16:33:19 UTC
Post by d***@altavista.com
You can encourage some balance in his life (music as a hobby
that could lead somewhere?) *AND* a career doing something else he's
hopefully good at and he doesn't hate that pays the bills.
Once dropped into office, high up in building on Sunset...
Attorney, who used to play bass for... Louis Armstrong.
Some use MuseUnits to get $Units to go become OtherThings.

And some have some half-baked StarEyesIdeas that lead to
heartache/disappointment...

Once ran into a fellow...
Another bass player by coincidence of threadcontribution...
An also-ran in RockDreamsSweepstakes, almost brass ring, but not quite...
Rued that if he'd spent all the time he put on music on something else
he'd be a brain surgeon by then...

The TerrestrialLifeMeatGrinder that the Muse/Spirit can be is one thing...
To combine with EgoPopSpell+MustMakeIt too often a recipe for CrisisPoint...

Resolutions of crisis, New Year resolutions of Change...

Un-Balance swinging from side to side of pendulum swing, enough ride
that fershurr.

Some choose a MiddlePath modified.
d***@altavista.com
2006-03-16 17:00:39 UTC
Post by misterwilliamc
Some choose a MiddlePath modified.
Although the Middle Path, while sane, is also the most difficult one in
some respects. Because balance is an art not easily achieved. You
have to be deliberate about it.

RF
John Z. Delorean
2006-03-16 16:42:50 UTC
Why do anything, I guess. I think I'd be tickled to be able to say I got
royalties for anything. If nothing else, the word "royalty" sounds cool and
impressive.
DeeAa
2006-03-16 17:38:13 UTC
Post by John Z. Delorean
Why do anything, I guess. I think I'd be tickled to be able to say I got
royalties for anything. If nothing else, the word "royalty" sounds cool and
impressive.
I'm not even sure if that's the right word...propably not...I mean money
from airplay etc, what that..um, nascap or whatever it was pays you if your
cd is on the air.
Mo
2006-03-16 18:11:39 UTC
Post by DeeAa
I've been suffering from the opposite of GAS lately...
I find that having too much gear oppresses me. So I sell things off as I
buy new things.

As for your slump, DeeAa, I can understand your feeling. Actually you make
me feel a little better for having hung up my music hand a long time
ago...now that I'm back into it, I have a better perspective, and my
objectives --that is my definition of 'making it' --are different now.

Can I suggest that maybe what you need is a new musical direction for a
while? Maybe it's time to get out of that metal rut you've been in (I get
the feeling you were a metal head) and do something completely different?

How about an acoustic set, just you and a buddy or two. A different style
of music. Find the fun again?
Jim
2006-03-16 18:20:12 UTC
I need to take a lesson from you, and begin downsizing my gear.

I never had "rock star" dreams. I played in high school bands, met a
lot of cool people, had a lot of fun... But I quit playing in bands
when I went to college. It's only been in the recent years that I've
picked it up on a more regular basis. I can go a week or more at a time
between playing, or I can play every day for a week.

Since picking it back up, I admit to a chronic case of GAS. Gear has
become as much of a hobby as playing, and I'm not really happy about
that. My answer was to get a setup the I like, THEN focus on playing.
Well, now I don't have a whole lot to complain about with my setup. The
plan is to sell the gear I'm not using, and PLAY for fun. ...with the
stereo. ...occasional jams. Maybe even a regular jam band with
similarly situated "mature" types that want to have fun, but have "real"
careers. ...whatever. But I've yet to start listing on ebay, and I've
yet to focus on my playing.

Last night is a good example. I decide to try my homebrew Matchless
Spitfire into my modified Marshall 2x12 Vintage 30 (began life as a JCM
800 combo). I turn on the power supply (I use a big power conditioner).
I have to re-route the speaker cable from another amp. Then I notice
that the Spitfire is unplugged, so I need to squeeze behind the couch to
plug it in. Then, while it warms up, I pull out the pedals I want to
use. That takes a few minutes because the short cords are a bit tangled
up. By the time I finally start to play, it's been several minutes of
hassle and I'm really not in the mood. I make a little bit of noise,
and nothing sound right (not in the playing mood). I look around and
think "I need to sell most of this stuff."

I do need to put a pedal board together to avoid the MESS, but I'm still
deciding how much stuff I want on it. I need a ready to play, no hassle
setup. Turn on a switch, strap on a guitar, and play. Everything else
needs to be sold to other people that are still in their tone quest.
guess.
DeeAa
2006-03-16 20:19:35 UTC
Post by Jim
I do need to put a pedal board together to avoid the MESS, but I'm still
deciding how much stuff I want on it. I need a ready to play, no hassle
setup. Turn on a switch, strap on a guitar, and play. Everything else
needs to be sold to other people that are still in their tone quest.
Dude, that's exactly that.
First off, since it was so difficult to find time&place to play loud, I sold
the amps.
Then I started using pre's directly, and now I've four of 'em. And effects
and stuff. And I just keep tweaking the damn things, because the next sound
is always better. Or that's how it feels.

Anyway, now it's a question of firing up the gear, moving the rack around in
order to hook up the gear I want to use, find headphones or hook up to the
amp or the soundcard, then notice the battery's gone and the PSU cord is too
short so I have to move the box..etc.etc.

I like building stuff and tweaking, but it gets in the way. The other day I
built a pedalboard with velcro fasteners and power supply, and now I need to
keep it on top of my rack due to the way I want to set it up. I can't have
bloody lines running to amp, back again and then back again, so some of the
stuff needs to be in the rack after all. Augh.

Lately I've been dreaming of getting rid of my home studio and all the
stuff, just keep like the cream machine and the tube screamer and one
electric and an acoustic. That sounds damn good and has but two dials. But
as long as I have all the gear I have I just end up testing a new better
sound or configuration until I get bored of it. It's like - plug into the
Tri AC, Ok, great, sounds good, but hey, some reverb would be nice, so hook
up the SE50, ok, now it cuts some of the presence, ok, tweak the mixer,
damn, now the mids are too pronounced, add an EQ...
d***@altavista.com
2006-03-16 20:46:24 UTC
Post by DeeAa
Post by Jim
I do need to put a pedal board together to avoid the MESS, but I'm still
deciding how much stuff I want on it. I need a ready to play, no hassle
setup. Turn on a switch, strap on a guitar, and play. Everything else
needs to be sold to other people that are still in their tone quest.
Dude, that's exactly that.
You guys would enjoy reading "The Paradox of Choice" by Barry Schwartz:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060005688/qid=1142541823/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/102-1470805-7684152?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Excellent book...makes you wonder how the choices that we have now are
killing us.

RF
RichCI
2006-03-16 21:21:15 UTC
Post by DeeAa
Post by Jim
[...]
I know what you guys mean; I started falling into that ritual as well.
I have found that with all the pedals that I own, I really use three of
them on a regular basis and four for "special effects" (chorus, etc.).
I could do without the special effects but I do like having them handy
and two of the three that I use regularly are just with my Strat. So,
realistically, I could get away with using just one pedal - a Fulltone
Fat-Boost (clean boost).

I love to experiment and did a LOT of it over the past year during the
height of my G.A.S. but it seems to have paid off as, even when I
string together a bunch of pedals, I can quickly dial in the sound that
I am looking for since I am ridiculously familiar with what each pedal
does and is capable of. I'll plug in my Strat and think, "Okay, I want
a sound sort of a "Let the Good Times Roll" a la Hendrix so I click on
my fuzz, flip the pickup selector to the neck, turn down the guitar's
volume to around 7, turn up the Fat-Boost to around 10 o'clock then
have at it - or whatever.

There are some other things that help as well:

1. I have my amp set where it sounds good to me regardless of whether
I plug in my Strat or LP. The Strat, with it's single coils, was the
most difficult to get a sound that I liked but, once I had it, the LP
sounded good as well. So, I rarely mess with my amp's settings and
this leaves me to...

2. ... change sounds with pedals that I can easily click on or off
rather than dialing in sounds with the amp. If I want more gain, on
goes a clean boost or Rat pedal.

3. I have a purpose in mind when I go to pick up a guitar. Sometimes
I still plug in to experiment with sounds but, more so these days, I
just want to play. Since I am so familiar with my gear, it's a snap to
throw some pedals inline if I want them or just plug right into the amp
and start right up (after it warms up ;) ).

4. Have a space to play where you can leave your stuff set up. This
isn't always possible, but at least try to modularize as much as you
can and the pedal boards you guys are thinking about would certainly
help in that respect. If you get one with a case, you could stand it
up in a closet when it's not in use then pull it out and be set up very
quickly for when you want to play. I should actually follow my own
advice with the pedal board and finally get one.
Duncan
2006-03-16 23:14:38 UTC
SAG?
Thad
2006-03-16 23:45:11 UTC
SAG?
Sell All Gear.
Thad
Duncan
2006-03-17 00:33:57 UTC
LOL
Post by Thad
SAG?
Sell All Gear.
§c©©t§
2006-03-18 09:35:54 UTC
yeah..

heh

'DSYCS"
{don't sell your creative soul..}
LOL
Post by Thad
SAG?
Sell All Gear.
Mark Davis
2006-03-18 01:05:12 UTC
I need a ready to play, no hassle setup.
Get rid of the pedals, get a low-watt all-tube combo with reverb, keep
it plugged into the wall, keep a guitar cord plugged into it and keep
your guitars handy on stands or hanging on the wall. I gave all my
pedals to my son, but he doesn't use them. Know anyone who needs an
Ibanez UE-400 multi-effects unit and an HD-1000 harmonics/delay unit in
an Anvil case?
--
Mark Davis
San Angelo, TX
jtees4
2006-03-16 18:23:42 UTC
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:34:29 +0200, "DeeAa"
Post by DeeAa
[...]
I am 48 and have felt the same way many times. I had a long dry spot
like that between say 1985 and maybe 1992. Little by little sold
almost everything. I had one electric and one acoustic left, no amp.
Occassionally recorded at home. Then I discovered digital recording,
specifically I was turned on to the Boss Br8. That got me going again.
I have graduated to computer based recording since then and have
basically been recording everything I have ever written between 1974
and the present. I have bought and sold a bunch of guitars and a few
amps and many effects. I have probably not spent more than I made
because I have discovered some really great used values out there.
I understand your concern about your son..my son is almost 21. When he
was young I tried to get him to learn guitar...his interest did not
last and I did not push it. I am actually glad he has not gotten into
it. I am glad he will never have G.A.S. I was probably not as
seriously into it as you, I never tried to turn pro or really make
money. I do have a lot of great memories and a lot of recorded music
that will outlive me. My 13 year old daughter loves to hear my music.
I know that someday my som will appreciate it also, probably when he
is much older. Unfortunately for you..like me...it is in your blood.
You will always have it inside you even if you feel like giving up
now. I think your feelings are temporary. Good luck.
DeeAa
2006-03-16 20:22:51 UTC
Post by jtees4
is much older. Unfortunately for you..like me...it is in your blood.
You will always have it inside you even if you feel like giving up
now. I think your feelings are temporary. Good luck.
Thanks...I do know I'll regret if I just sell it all off...I did that twice
already, once in '89 when I sold my Charvels, a Takamine 12string and two
Marshalls plus a big pile of FX...traded it in for money and an FX unit plus
a vocal mic...two years later I was shopping for a Les Paul already...

Then again in '99 I think, sold off basically everything I had save a few
monitors and FX units and a les paul...and now again...
§c©©t§
2006-03-18 09:25:56 UTC
SAG

Simultaneous Acquisition of Gear..