Any Fender Jaguar fans?
Jack Dotson
2008-02-06 01:34:36 UTC
For some reason I've never even given this guitar a second look. Never
played one and knew little about them. Today I played one a GC and it was
great. It was one of the newer models with dual HB p/u's, black and made in
Japan.

Never did figure out exactly how all the switches work, but was able to coax
some amazing sounds even without knowing what the switches do. Seriously
considering getting one of these.

Anyone share my enthusiasm for this guitar?
Russell
Sac Dave
2008-02-06 04:08:45 UTC
Post by Jack Dotson
For some reason I've never even given this guitar a second look. Never
played one and knew little about them. Today I played one a GC and it
was great. It was one of the newer models with dual HB p/u's, black and
made in Japan.
Never did figure out exactly how all the switches work, but was able to
coax some amazing sounds even without knowing what the switches do.
Seriously considering getting one of these.
Anyone share my enthusiasm for this guitar?
A friend had two 62 or 63's One was one of the nicest playing guitars I've
ever played just melted in your hand . He put the neck on a Squire and sold
the body if I recall tobacco sunburst for $1200 mid 80tys. I don't know
what ever happened the second one.
RichL
2008-02-06 03:23:42 UTC
Post by Jack Dotson
For some reason I've never even given this guitar a second look.
Never played one and knew little about them. Today I played one a GC
and it was great. It was one of the newer models with dual HB p/u's,
black and made in Japan.
Never did figure out exactly how all the switches work, but was able
to coax some amazing sounds even without knowing what the switches
do. Seriously considering getting one of these.
Anyone share my enthusiasm for this guitar?
I've never owned one, but I played one several times that belonged to a
friend back in the '60s. I thought it had a great sound, but I wasn't
impressed by the bridge/trem. I have no idea how the newer ones
compare.
Russell
2008-02-06 04:11:07 UTC
I have never owned one either but used a friends quite a few times in the
'60s.
Having learn to play & playing larger scale necks I found it difficult to
come to grips with the shorter scale neck particually on the upper part of
the fret board. I suppose I would have used to it in time.
compare.
Andy
2008-02-06 07:24:26 UTC
Post by RichL
Post by Jack Dotson
For some reason I've never even given this guitar a second look.
Never played one and knew little about them. Today I played one a GC
and it was great. It was one of the newer models with dual HB p/u's,
black and made in Japan.
Never did figure out exactly how all the switches work, but was able
to coax some amazing sounds even without knowing what the switches
do. Seriously considering getting one of these.
Anyone share my enthusiasm for this guitar?
I've never owned one, but I played one several times that belonged to a
friend back in the '60s. I thought it had a great sound, but I wasn't
impressed by the bridge/trem. I have no idea how the newer ones
compare.
The black "HH" Jaguars have a Gibson style fixed bridge/tailpiece
arrangement, entirely different from 'normal' ingle coil/floating
vibrato equipped Jaguars.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0259200306

Cheers,
Andy.
RichL
2008-02-06 13:45:47 UTC
Post by Andy
Post by RichL
Post by Jack Dotson
[...]
I guess I don't see the point of an HH Jag, other than the appearance.
To me those single coil pickups are an essential element of the Jag
sound.
Andy
2008-02-06 20:30:41 UTC
Post by RichL
Post by Andy
The black "HH" Jaguars have a Gibson style fixed bridge/tailpiece
arrangement, entirely different from 'normal' ingle coil/floating
vibrato equipped Jaguars.
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0259200306
Cheers,
Andy.
I guess I don't see the point of an HH Jag, other than the appearance.
To me those single coil pickups are an essential element of the Jag
sound.
Don't forget the bridge design! :-)

Andy.
VampX
2008-02-06 10:12:26 UTC
Post by Jack Dotson
Anyone share my enthusiasm for this guitar?
I can put my hand up for that one. Just acquired an original '62
sunburst and I love it to bits. It won't be my main axe because I just
love my Strats too much but its right up there. Gives a whole new sonic
flavour to my get up.

The switches are funny. Up is on and down is off. The two front ones on
the bottom switch are front and back pickups and the third is a bass
throttle... makes it sound like crap IMO. The top one is the rhythm
switch and when on over rides all other settings. The idea being is you
play through the song the flick it down to go sick on a solo. I just
have it in solo mode all the time.

:)
--
VampX
-----------------------
If you strangled a smurf, what colour would it turn?
Mark Bedingfield
2008-02-06 10:28:11 UTC
Post by VampX
Post by Jack Dotson
Anyone share my enthusiasm for this guitar?
I can put my hand up for that one. Just acquired an original '62
sunburst and I love it to bits. It won't be my main axe because I just
love my Strats too much but its right up there. Gives a whole new sonic
flavour to my get up.
The switches are funny. Up is on and down is off. The two front ones on
the bottom switch are front and back pickups and the third is a bass
throttle... makes it sound like crap IMO. The top one is the rhythm
switch and when on over rides all other settings. The idea being is you
play through the song the flick it down to go sick on a solo. I just
have it in solo mode all the time.
:)
Show off;-) I'm jealous.

Mark

BTW I've been looking at Squier Jagmaster's of late. I know I
shouldn't..... but the possibilities.....
Grinner
how about the jap models?
Mark Bedingfield
2008-02-06 10:42:51 UTC
Post by Grinner
Post by Mark Bedingfield
Post by Jack Dotson
[...]
I don't know if I like the whole concept that much. Still a Strat man;-)
There are Japanese Jagmasters (25.5" scale) floating around that
interest me tho. Drop a pair of SC's into one I think;-)

Mark
VampX
2008-02-06 11:24:39 UTC
Post by Grinner
Post by Mark Bedingfield
BTW I've been looking at Squier Jagmaster's of late. I know I
shouldn't..... but the possibilities.....
how about the jap models?
Their build quality is quite good but the pickups totally suck. If you
go jap, be prepared to fork out for another set of pups for the j'master.
--
VampX
-----------------------
If you strangled a smurf, what colour would it turn?
Andy
Correct-a-mundo.
Grinner
they sound like balls of fun, tone wise.
Andy
2008-02-06 20:30:11 UTC
Post by Grinner
Post by Andy
In article
Post by VampX
Post by Grinner
Post by Mark Bedingfield
BTW I've been looking at Squier Jagmaster's of late. I know I
shouldn't..... but the possibilities.....
how about the jap models?
Their build quality is quite good but the pickups totally suck. If you
go jap, be prepared to fork out for another set of pups for the j'master.
Correct-a-mundo.
they sound like balls of fun, tone wise.
The stock Jap pickups certainly sound like balls, all right :-) The
problem with them is they're wound much like a strat p/u - tall and thin
instead of wide and shallow like the originals.

Mine only sounded like a real Jazzmaster after I replaced the stockers
with SD Vintage pickups.

Andy.
Jack Dotson
2008-02-07 13:44:11 UTC
Post by Andy
The stock Jap pickups certainly sound like balls, all right :-) The
problem with them is they're wound much like a strat p/u - tall and thin
instead of wide and shallow like the originals.
Mine only sounded like a real Jazzmaster after I replaced the stockers
with SD Vintage pickups.
Andy.
I'm going to have to agree with Andy. I bought the Jag HH yesterday and
once I got it home didn't like it nearly as much as I thought I did. Tried
as I might it still sounded muddy and closed in. I played around with amp
and guitar settings for over three hours until I finally just gave up and
realized I didn't care for either of the pick-up's in this guitar. I
plugged my Strat in to get a reference and immediately realized a drastic
improvement.

The Jag is going back today. I'll continue to look.
Andy
2008-02-08 07:47:17 UTC
Post by Jack Dotson
Post by Andy
The stock Jap pickups certainly sound like balls, all right :-) The
problem with them is they're wound much like a strat p/u - tall and thin
instead of wide and shallow like the originals.
Mine only sounded like a real Jazzmaster after I replaced the stockers
with SD Vintage pickups.
Andy.
I'm going to have to agree with Andy. I bought the Jag HH yesterday and
once I got it home didn't like it nearly as much as I thought I did. Tried
as I might it still sounded muddy and closed in. I played around with amp
and guitar settings for over three hours until I finally just gave up and
realized I didn't care for either of the pick-up's in this guitar. I
plugged my Strat in to get a reference and immediately realized a drastic
improvement.
The Jag is going back today. I'll continue to look.
Try a single coil equipped model. The HH sounds nothing like a normal
Jaguar.

Cheers,
Andy.
VampX
2008-02-06 22:37:23 UTC
Post by Andy
Correct-a-mundo.
Fonzy! I knew you hadn't thrown in the towel. Mrs C?
Mark Bedingfield
2008-02-07 00:21:07 UTC
Post by VampX
Post by Grinner
Post by Mark Bedingfield
BTW I've been looking at Squier Jagmaster's of late. I know I
shouldn't..... but the possibilities.....
how about the jap models?
Their build quality is quite good but the pickups totally suck. If you
go jap, be prepared to fork out for another set of pups for the j'master.
I have 8 Electric guitars and none have original PUPs;-) Par for the
course really, especially if we can't afford a 60's Jag;-)

I just played a Japanese Jag before work, not bad. The scale wasn't
uncomfortable at all. String gauge would need to be a bit bigger I
think. Was bending all over the place. Also there was some bridge
rattle, not sure exactly why tho. Probably easy fixed. Overall a VERY
nice guitar.

Mark
Andy
2008-02-07 09:24:48 UTC
Post by Mark Bedingfield
I just played a Japanese Jag before work, not bad. The scale wasn't
uncomfortable at all. String gauge would need to be a bit bigger I
think. Was bending all over the place. Also there was some bridge
rattle, not sure exactly why tho.
It's the grub screws. The entire bridge piece needs to be thrown in the
bin and replaced with a Mustang unit for about $45.

Andy.
Mark Bedingfield
2008-02-07 23:49:58 UTC
Post by Andy
Post by Mark Bedingfield
I just played a Japanese Jag before work, not bad. The scale wasn't
uncomfortable at all. String gauge would need to be a bit bigger I
think. Was bending all over the place. Also there was some bridge
rattle, not sure exactly why tho.
It's the grub screws. The entire bridge piece needs to be thrown in the
bin and replaced with a Mustang unit for about $45.
So THATS what it sounds like;-)

Mark
Andy
2008-02-08 08:51:02 UTC
Post by Mark Bedingfield
Post by Andy
Post by Mark Bedingfield
I just played a Japanese Jag before work, not bad. The scale wasn't
uncomfortable at all. String gauge would need to be a bit bigger I
think. Was bending all over the place. Also there was some bridge
rattle, not sure exactly why tho.
It's the grub screws. The entire bridge piece needs to be thrown in the
bin and replaced with a Mustang unit for about $45.
So THATS what it sounds like;-)
Mark
Aye :-)

Seems to mainly be a problem with the reissues - the way that the thread
is cut into the saddles is, to be blunt about it, shit. Heaps of
freeplay. Fixed in 2 minutes with the Mustang unit :-)

Cheers,
Andy.

VampX
2008-02-07 16:03:32 UTC
Post by Mark Bedingfield
The scale wasn't
uncomfortable at all. String gauge would need to be a bit bigger I
think. Was bending all over the place.
Yeah you generally need to use 11's as a starting rank. More if you
desire so.
Post by Mark Bedingfield
Also there was some bridge
rattle, not sure exactly why tho. Probably easy fixed.
Go with the buzzstop. Its easy to attach and doesnt screw with the
guitar. Dont have to mess with bridges or saddles either.
--
VampX
-----------------------
If you strangled a smurf, what colour would it turn?
Bill
2008-02-06 22:48:13 UTC
Post by Mark Bedingfield
Post by Jack Dotson
Anyone share my enthusiasm for this guitar?
I can put my hand up for that one. Just acquired an original '62 sunburst
and I love it to bits. It won't be my main axe because I just love my
Strats too much but its right up there. Gives a whole new sonic flavour
to my get up. The switches are funny. Up is on and down is off. The two
front ones on the bottom switch are front and back pickups and the third
is a bass throttle... makes it sound like crap IMO. The top one is the
rhythm switch and when on over rides all other settings. The idea being
is you play through the song the flick it down to go sick on a solo. I
just have it in solo mode all the time.
:)
Show off;-) I'm jealous.
Mark
BTW I've been looking at Squier Jagmaster's of late. I know I
shouldn't..... but the possibilities.....
Well ,I don't know why anyone wouldn't have a play on ANY guitar to see
their merits and especially the low cost models.
I own a gosh awful looking silver metalflake Jagmaster.I did a soundfile
with it and a pretty experienced player said "You can't fool me,that is
either a Jaguar or Jazzmaster " It just goes to show,the ears can be fooled
:o) Cheers
Mark Bedingfield
2008-02-07 00:17:57 UTC
Post by Bill
Post by Mark Bedingfield
Post by Jack Dotson
[...]
Short or long scale? Not that I'm gassing or anything;-)

Mark
Grinner
2008-02-06 10:33:26 UTC
Post by VampX
Post by Jack Dotson
Anyone share my enthusiasm for this guitar?
I can put my hand up for that one. Just acquired an original '62
sunburst and I love it to bits. It won't be my main axe because I just
love my Strats too much but its right up there. Gives a whole new sonic
flavour to my get up.
The switches are funny. Up is on and down is off.
That's standard american switching even in homes. the idea is it's safer in
an emergency to swipe a switch down than push it up.
VampX
2008-02-06 11:23:17 UTC
Post by Grinner
That's standard american switching even in homes. the idea is it's safer in
an emergency to swipe a switch down than push it up.
They're soooo backward
--
VampX
-----------------------
If you strangled a smurf, what colour would it turn?
Grinner
2008-02-06 11:35:41 UTC
Post by VampX
Post by Grinner
That's standard american switching even in homes. the idea is it's safer in
an emergency to swipe a switch down than push it up.
They're soooo backward
hmmm, in an electrical emergency if you are falling and swipe the power
point or light switch its easier to cut off the power. makes more sense. i
suppose. don't remember england's POV on it.
Post by VampX
--
VampX
-----------------------
If you strangled a smurf, what colour would it turn?
White Spirit
2008-02-06 14:41:24 UTC
Post by Grinner
hmmm, in an electrical emergency if you are falling and swipe the power
point or light switch its easier to cut off the power. makes more sense. i
suppose. don't remember england's POV on it.
Well, if your hands are at waist-level and you need to turn the switch
off, you can do it with one upwards motion.
Derek
2008-02-06 17:16:17 UTC
I am satisfied with the sounds I get from my strat and tele.

If I were to venture into this area, I like the HH Jag, or the
Jazzmaster.

I always block the trem on my strats, I guess you can do the same for
the Jazzmaster?

Is there enough of a tonal difference between these and a strat?
Andy
2008-02-06 20:27:35 UTC
In article
Post by Derek
I am satisfied with the sounds I get from my strat and tele.
If I were to venture into this area, I like the HH Jag, or the
Jazzmaster.
I always block the trem on my strats, I guess you can do the same for
the Jazzmaster?
I'm sure you probably *could*, but it would be a fairly involved
exercise compared to a strat bridge. If you only block them for tuning
stability I wouldn't bother - Even after heavy use mine stays in tune.

If you only block them for sustain - again, I wouldn't bother. The
Jazzmaster has none to begin with :-D
Post by Derek
Is there enough of a tonal difference between these and a strat?
Yeah, a fair difference. Jazzmasters have a particular 'plinky' sound
about them, the pick attack becomes quite a bit more percussive due to
the lessened sustain. The pickups are fairly low output, sweet sounding
soapbar single coils.

I can't comment on the HH Jag because I've never heard one in person.
I'd imagine it sounds entirely different again - fixed bridge and
humbuckers. They sure as hell LOOK cool though.

Cheers,
Andy.
Grinner
so it's up for off as well then ?
RichL
2008-02-06 13:49:56 UTC
Post by VampX
Post by Jack Dotson
Anyone share my enthusiasm for this guitar?
I can put my hand up for that one. Just acquired an original '62
sunburst and I love it to bits. It won't be my main axe because I just
love my Strats too much but its right up there. Gives a whole new
sonic flavour to my get up.
The switches are funny. Up is on and down is off. The two front ones
on the bottom switch are front and back pickups and the third is a
bass throttle... makes it sound like crap IMO. The top one is the
rhythm switch and when on over rides all other settings. The idea
being is you play through the song the flick it down to go sick on a
solo. I just have it in solo mode all the time.
:)
Yeah, I never really got that "rhythm circuit" thing. On the other
hand, the bass throttle is great for surf-type stuff (think lots of
reverb, Beach Boys, women in bikinis, aahhhhh!).
Mark Bedingfield
2008-02-06 10:30:18 UTC
Post by Jack Dotson
For some reason I've never even given this guitar a second look. Never
played one and knew little about them. Today I played one a GC and it was
great. It was one of the newer models with dual HB p/u's, black and made in
Japan.
Never did figure out exactly how all the switches work, but was able to coax
some amazing sounds even without knowing what the switches do. Seriously
considering getting one of these.
Anyone share my enthusiasm for this guitar?
That would be the HH special I guess. Its a great design, never played a
guitar with that short a scale tho. One reason I keep looking back at
the Jazz Master. But the 2 SC standard Jag, that sound takes some
beating. I'd like a Jazz Master with Jag pups;-)

Mark