Dumb? Question
JeffinMississippi
2006-01-26 19:11:21 UTC
Why is the bridge pickup on Strats' (And other models) placed in position at
an angle?
rct
2006-01-26 19:16:21 UTC
Because Leo and George wanted to keep the twang that the
country/western/swing guys wanted, yet keep some of the potential
rumble from the low end if possible.
Large Farva
2006-01-26 20:15:55 UTC
Post by JeffinMississippi
Why is the bridge pickup on Strats' (And other models) placed in position at
an angle?
I don't know for sure..and never really thought about it!

But my guess would be to get the bass side of the pickup farther away from
the bridge so it's a little deeper while leaving the treble side closer so
it's more twangy. Just a guess.
Angof
2006-01-27 00:29:08 UTC
Post by JeffinMississippi
Why is the bridge pickup on Strats' (And other models) placed in position at
an angle?
There was a discusion abou this in another newsgroup, its got something to
do with the distance the string vibrates from left to right, nearer the
bridge its not so wide so the pickup has to be in a different position.
The Repair Guy
2006-01-27 01:47:38 UTC
Post by JeffinMississippi
Why is the bridge pickup on Strats' (And other models)
placed in position at an angle?
From what I've read about Leo, it was probably
for looks.

The Repair Guy
http://repairguy1993.netfirms.com/
Mo
2006-01-27 08:16:39 UTC
Post by The Repair Guy
From what I've read about Leo, it was probably
for looks.
Or a way of saving money.
RD Jones
2006-01-27 09:27:24 UTC
Post by JeffinMississippi
Why is the bridge pickup on Strats' (And other models) placed in position at
an angle?
Wasn't this covered only a few weeks ago in the
"Strat bridge pickup angle....." thread.
Google can be your friend:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.guitar/browse_thread/thread/b8a285078564a289/9e330d4197fb2e43#9e330d4197fb2e43

and the tinyurl version:

http://tinyurl.com/9gawo

rd
JeffinMississippi
2006-01-27 14:36:49 UTC
Post by RD Jones
Post by JeffinMississippi
Why is the bridge pickup on Strats' (And other models) placed in position at
an angle?
Wasn't this covered only a few weeks ago in the
"Strat bridge pickup angle....." thread.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.guitar/browse_thread/thread/b8a285078564a289/9e330d4197fb2e43#9e330d4197fb2e43
Post by RD Jones
http://tinyurl.com/9gawo
rd
Yep, someone sure did ask the same question. But I dont intend on googling
every single question that comes to mind before I post. Clearly others didnt
see that thread either as they answered the question I posted.
jtees4
2006-01-28 00:28:02 UTC
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:11:21 GMT, "JeffinMississippi"
Post by JeffinMississippi
Why is the bridge pickup on Strats' (And other models) placed in position at
an angle?
It may be a dumb question...but it was sure a good one. The answer,
however, I don't know.
JeffinMississippi
2006-01-28 01:00:55 UTC
Post by JeffinMississippi
Why is the bridge pickup on Strats' (And other models) placed in position at
an angle?
It may be a dumb question...but it was sure a good one. The answer,
however, I don't know.
Someone pointed out that someone else had asked the same question in an
earlier thread, funny how that person (The person who asked the question)
thought it might be kinda dumb question also. BUT, its one of the few
questions I have asked on here that no one seems to know the real answer to.
I have googled and searched all over, asked the salesman last night at the
local guitar shop and looked at the replies here. Fact is there are a lot of
guesses but no one REALLY knows. Now, I have to find out!
RD Jones
2006-01-28 10:02:15 UTC
Post by JeffinMississippi
Post by JeffinMississippi
Why is the bridge pickup on Strats' (And other models) placed in position
at an angle?
Someone pointed out that someone else had asked the same question in an
earlier thread, funny how that person (The person who asked the question)
thought it might be kinda dumb question also. BUT, its one of the few
questions I have asked on here that no one seems to know the real answer to.
I have googled and searched all over, asked the salesman last night at the
local guitar shop and looked at the replies here. Fact is there are a lot of
guesses but no one REALLY knows. Now, I have to find out!
simplified explanations based on (commonly available)
knowledge of physics.

Here's more from "The Fender Stratocaster" by A.R. Duchossoir,
including an excerpt from a conversation between the author and
Freddie Tavares in 1988.

quote:
In those days, amplifiers were rather
deficient at the top end and the Stratocaster lead pickup was thus
meant
to give "clear ringing highs". This is why it was actually placed in a
slanted
position, so that it could produce a better tone. Freddie Tavares
explains:
"The rear pickup is slanted for a very important reason. That was
because
when you pluck the instrument way back near the bridge, everything is
more brilliant, but you lose the depth. So, the reason for the slant
was to
get a little more vitality or 'virility' into the bass strings and
still maintain
all the brilliance that we wanted"

Freddie Tavares (and Bill Carson) was Leo's co-designer on
the Stratocaster. Also note that this was done first on the
Telecaster as well as the Precision Bass.

rd
JeffinMississippi
2006-01-28 14:43:34 UTC
And lots of other guitars after.
jtees4
2006-01-29 03:20:05 UTC
Post by jtees4
Post by JeffinMississippi
an angle?
It may be a dumb question...but it was sure a good one. The answer,
however, I don't know.
Someone pointed out that someone else had asked the same question in an
earlier thread, funny how that person (The person who asked the question)
thought it might be kinda dumb question also. BUT, its one of the few
questions I have asked on here that no one seems to know the real answer to.
I have googled and searched all over, asked the salesman last night at the
local guitar shop and looked at the replies here. Fact is there are a lot of
guesses but no one REALLY knows. Now, I have to find out!
A friend of mine told me that he believes that it has something to do
with the fact that as you turn the pickup at an angle, the space
between the poles increases. This may be true, but I don't understand
how it would affect the sound.
Burnham Treezdown
2006-01-30 03:43:01 UTC
Post by jtees4
A friend of mine told me that he believes that it has something to do
with the fact that as you turn the pickup at an angle, the space
between the poles increases. This may be true, but I don't understand
how it would affect the sound.
When you angle the pickup just the opposite happens. Well, at least as far as
the strings are concerned.