Boston's "Long Time" guitar tone
u***@yahoo.com
2005-02-08 17:28:10 UTC
This may have been asked before, but does anyone know the rig used by
Boston on that song. The opening guitar intro just floors me every
time.
I remember reading in a magazine (20 years ago at least) about Sholtz
having a patent on some sort of compression/echo unit. Not being up on
all the current gadgets, what would come closest to that Boston tone?
Thanks
Ron

99 LP Studio
Vantage LP Jap clone
50th Anniv. American Strat
2004 Fender Mustang bass
Squire MB4 bass
Behringer 300DX
Valvetronix 30ADT
DOD Envelope filter
Dunlop Cry Baby
DS-1
POD 2.0
Roland TD-6S (when I sell my wife's diamond ring)
David
2005-02-08 17:41:56 UTC
Post by u***@yahoo.com
This may have been asked before, but does anyone know the rig used by
Boston on that song. The opening guitar intro just floors me every
time.
I remember reading in a magazine (20 years ago at least) about Sholtz
having a patent on some sort of compression/echo unit. Not being up on
all the current gadgets, what would come closest to that Boston tone?
Thanks
Ron
That would be the Scholz Rockman. Don't know what he used on the album
though but the Rockman should get you in the ballpark.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41421&item=3780509295&rd=1http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41416&item=3781538199&rd=1
RG
2005-02-08 23:50:05 UTC
Post by David
Post by u***@yahoo.com
This may have been asked before, but does anyone know the rig used by
Boston on that song. The opening guitar intro just floors me every
time.
I remember reading in a magazine (20 years ago at least) about Sholtz
having a patent on some sort of compression/echo unit. Not being up on
all the current gadgets, what would come closest to that Boston tone?
Thanks
Ron
That would be the Scholz Rockman. Don't know what he used on the album
though but the Rockman should get you in the ballpark.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41421&item=3780509295&rd=1http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41416&item=3781538199&rd=1
Hello,

My experience with the Rockman, specifically the IIC version (early) cannot
get that vibe on its' own. Maybe his rack mount stuff can do it.

2nd thought, it is very possible that layering the guitar tracks will get
you there using the Rockman. It is about a HUGE tone with controlled
feedback. Just my .02

Best regards,

Rich

www.guytronix.com
SONNY
2005-02-09 03:34:18 UTC
Post by RG
Post by RG
Hello,
My experience with the Rockman, specifically the IIC version (early) cannot
get that vibe on its' own. Maybe his rack mount stuff can do it.
2nd thought, it is very possible that layering the guitar tracks will get
you there using the Rockman. It is about a HUGE tone with controlled
feedback. Just my .02
Best regards,
Rich
www.guytronix.com
I have an original unit(s). One is the Rockman sustainer, the other is the
chorus/delay/compressor, along with the foot pedal.
The units screw into a 1 unit rack holder side by side. The sustainer unit
works like a channel switching amp where you can set up two different
sounds, along with a separate boost for leads, notch filters, compression,
in/out loop inputs on the back to add other pedals if you wish along with
inputs to control by footswitch channel selection, boost & bypass. The
output goes to the other unit.
It also has compression, then a choice of delay or chorus and two separate s
elections for panning the stereo outputs. The back jacks are L & R,,
footswitch jack for delay or chorus, another for either of the two output
modes you select, and another for bypass. The footswitch itself is quite
large about 12"w by 8"deep wedge shaped flat to 2"h. Three big buttons with
two leds each to let you know what mode each was in,, runs (the pedal)on
four 'D" size(lasts decades). I added three more buttons to make it more
versatile. The actual units run on AC current. All three parts are built
like tanks.
Pretty quiet piece for the high gain sound it puts out. I think what set it
apart was the built in noise gates that I believe he (Tom) engineered that
later became Hush? units.
The name of the company when he was involved was SRD .
I bought it off the other guitar player in my band at the time some 20?
years ago for $100 after he tired of it after a week. I think he spent about
$300 for it. I have the original manuals for each.
Fun thing to tinker with every once in a while straight in the board or
through my Twin,, and yes, I can nail the Boston vibe with it, but not much
else ;-(
Seeing what's built into it I think you could get the same(close) sound with
a high gain amp, compressor(lots of it), and stereo chorus or/and delay.
Sonny ( it's the best I can recall about it for now ;-)
Alan N
2005-02-09 00:05:43 UTC
Post by David
Post by u***@yahoo.com
This may have been asked before, but does anyone know the rig used by
Boston on that song. The opening guitar intro just floors me every
time.
I remember reading in a magazine (20 years ago at least) about Sholtz
having a patent on some sort of compression/echo unit. Not being up on
all the current gadgets, what would come closest to that Boston tone?
Thanks
Ron
That would be the Scholz Rockman. Don't know what he used on the album
though but the Rockman should get you in the ballpark.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41421&item=3780509295&
rd=1http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41416&item=3781538
199&rd=1
I read in an I.E.E.E. magazine interview a number of years back, where
they interviewed Scholz. The first album ( Long Time on this ) were
Marshalls. They were fed by very early prototype rockmans. The second
was sort of a hybrid, and if you listen to the third, it's all rockman
and has been since.

Like Van Halen 1, the tone of the first was never gotten again..
steve2000indeja
2005-02-09 02:42:19 UTC
Post by David
Post by David
199&rd=1
I read in an I.E.E.E. magazine interview a number of years back, where
they interviewed Scholz. The first album ( Long Time on this ) were
Marshalls. They were fed by very early prototype rockmans. The second
was sort of a hybrid, and if you listen to the third, it's all rockman
and has been since.
Like Van Halen 1, the tone of the first was never gotten again..
And Sholz did it in his basement on a 12 track recorder, playing most
of the instruments himself. Pretty sure Brad Delp was in early on for
the vocals. Once the demo tape started getting a bunch of attention
Scholz put together a band to be 'Boston.'

Other lore has it that he built electronic analog doublers out of
bucket brigade chips as commercial digital delays were a ways off. Also
he may have used an attenuator on the Marshall. His electric guitar was
a Les Paul with DiMarzio Super Humbuckers, pretty sure his acoustic 12
string was a fairly cheap one.

I remember an very old (70s, early 80s)Scholz interview where he said
he just built the stuff he needed because he knew how. Before he quit
his day job he was an electronics engineer for Polaroid. There was a
homemade Scholz fuzzbox used on at least a few solos, possibly one of
the few Boston guitarist Barry Goodreau (sp) got credit for playing.

Lots of "Boston 1" info/trivia/legend floating around out there.

Of course, one of the reasons it was came out so well is that Scholz
began his pattern of analytical perfectionism with the first album and
worked on it forever (whatever 'forever' was in the 70s- years?) before
he deeming the demo good enough to be shopped.

There's another story that the major label who signed "Boston" (CBS?)
insisted that the album be rerecorded using union engineers or
something, so he sent the most of the band to LA to mess around in a
big studio while he finished tweaking it at home. I've always wondered
about this story. I don't doubt he sent the hired guns out to LA, but I
sorta think Scholz must have wanted to mix in a full blown studio, with
gear he could only dream of... Only he knows for sure.

As mentioned in the other posts, the Rockman was an early 80s box
designed to get the Boston sound and probably hit the market after the
second album. I remember buying "Third Stage" as I knew it was all
Rockman and considered it a demo record for that technology. It sounded
ok, but few albums have touched the tones on Boston's first album.

The Rockman Was revolutionary for it's time- a 'stack in a box' had
never been attempted before and if you used the thing as originally
intended -for headphone practice- the compression, stereo chorus and
analog transistorized grind was pretty amazing through those
headphones.

Of course, almost as soon as Rockmans came out players were plugging
them into recording consoles and straight into PAs. Those Rockmans
needed a Bunch of eq to sound decent on tape or onstage.
-------
This kinda reminds me of what happened almost immediately when Line 6's
POD came out in 1999. It was a device intended/designed for direct
recording, but was almost immediately put into live performance
situations-with varying degrees of success- by many players. Folks have
PODs figured out a lot better 5 years into it now, and Line 6 has made
some changes and upgrades to make them more gig friendly, finally
coming out with the POD Live pedal this year for those players who just
won't buy a Line 6 combo or stack.
--------------
The recording/live expanded Rockman stuff which came out in the mid 80s
did a better job than the first headphone practice boxes. One of the
guys in Def Lepperd said the whole "Hysteria" album (released in 1987,
it took 2 or 3 years to record) is mostly Rockman devices. If it's
true, I assume he meant the more expanded individual components, not
just a Rockman into the console...Though the Fixx claim they plugged a
simple Rockman practice box into a recording console to get the clanky
squeezed, chorused clean sound on their biggest radio hit "One Thing
Leads To Another."

When you think of the idea of the Rockman- even if it doesn't really
hit the mark- it's pretty special. Nowadays tons of guitar tracks are
laid with small direct recording devices: modelers, sansamps etc all
doing a pretty good job of what the Rockman tried to do...be a big or
loud amp simulator in a small box.
----------
One of the local classic rock jocks likes to do rock trivia during the
commercial free drivetime hour at 5pm. Recently he played a couple of
songs from the first Boston album and mentioned that Every song from
that album has become a classic rock staple over the years. You hear
some (much) more than others, but eventually you'll hear every tune
from Boston's first album if you if you listen to much classic rock
radio....or even other rock oriented radio formats (except any of the
alternative formats.)

Only a very few bands/albums can make that claim. Boston 1 was well
written, well played and especially well produced and recorded. It's
sonic gold.

Steve
u***@yahoo.com
2005-02-09 15:43:56 UTC
WOW! That's a lot of info. Thanks.

Since you were mentioning the POD, are there sites that list POD
settings to match specific classic configurations? I'm fairly confused
with the presets.
It would be great if someone figured out a specific tone and posted the
configs.
For example there would be POD hints for Les Paul players and Strat
guys who wish to emulate a specific tone. From what I gather, you are
saying that the POD can do whatever the Rockman did?
Thanks
Ron
steve2000indeja
2005-02-10 01:10:40 UTC
You know, I really don't know that a POD has a Rockman/Boston preset.
I've never used one. I've used other L6 products since early on,
though.

I *think* my 1998 Line 6 AX2 combo amp has 'Boston' patch....they were
big into 'name guitarist/band' patches with that thing. Some patches
were close, some missed, almost all needed tweaking -to my ears,
anyway. I don't have access to that amp right now, or I'd just run and
see. I may have the Pilots Manual or whatever the user's guide is
called.. laying around. I think it's also on the website.

I know my GuitarPort software doesn't have a Boston patch, but their
Online lessons have custom presets which the author/player creates for
the lesson . These presets dial in pretty good tones for the song or
artist. If they ever a Boston lesson, I'm golden. I guess....if I
happen to be looking for that specific tone. I have a lot of fun
dialing up my own Marshall/Soldano, Vox and Fender tones.

Not being a POD owner, I haven't researched patches but I think there's
a patch library on the Line 6 site which supports some custom user and
Line 6 created patches for some of the POD like products. Also, again,
I think you can view every user manual they ever released there in PDF,
so maybe there are som hidden patches in your POD. Good luck with
that...

As far as the POD doing what the Rockman did, I'm thinking the POD and
similar modeling and analog amp simulators are light years beyond what
the Rockmans did.

The original Rockmans (which sound better than the stripped down
currently available ones,imo) sounded decent through the headphones,
but Scholz was only trying to approximate the sound of Boston's
recorded Marshalls, so you got 2 levels of 'crunch/edge,' clean 1 and
2. The effects were slap echo or reverb, a compressor and - hold onto
your hats! - a stereo chorus that made the guitar go through the middle
of your brain with those headphones on.

Unlike the POD and similar devices, none of this stuff was adjustable
on a Rockman except by turning down your guitar. And many of the
enhancements were either/or. Echo or reverb, not both.

My point was-the 'idea' of a Rockman was very uniqe thing for Scholz to
come up in the late 70s/early 80s and he actually got it manufactured
and in stores. The Rockman-while very limited by today's standards- was
a fairly widely heard guitar sound on some records recorded during a
certain time in the early to mid 80s.

In a somewhat recent Scholz interview he said he loved designing all
that stuff (and still uses a lot of it in his studio and onstage) but
once he brought it to production he realized he hated headaches of
being a 'musical instrument' manufacturer.. Thus the sale of the
designs and products to Dunlop who manufactures a stripped down
version, without the cool chorus and compression.

I an original Rockman X100 sitting here on my desk. A friend brought it
over for old times sake and left it. Or maybe it was mine and
originally and he was returning it:) Someday, when I feel like buying
and installing the 6 FREAKIN AA BATTERIES it taked to power the damn
thing up, I will.
-----------
If I were truly going to buy a headphone type practice box, thesedays
I'd probably be lookng at the Korg and Zoom stuff which does so much
more...

Steve
The Chris
2005-02-10 03:03:36 UTC
Post by u***@yahoo.com
WOW! That's a lot of info. Thanks.
Since you were mentioning the POD, are there sites that list POD
settings to match specific classic configurations? I'm fairly confused
with the presets.
It would be great if someone figured out a specific tone and posted the
configs.
For example there would be POD hints for Les Paul players and Strat
guys who wish to emulate a specific tone. From what I gather, you are
saying that the POD can do whatever the Rockman did?
Thanks
Ron
There are dozens of sites like that. When I had my POD, I did nothing but
look for patches. Most of them were downloadable into that cool editor, and
all it took was clicking on a patch to get it going.
The Chris
2005-02-10 03:01:57 UTC
Post by u***@yahoo.com
Post by David
Post by David
Post by David
Post by David
Post by David
Post by David
[...]
Well said....I think if you go to his official site, he confirms most of
these stories...
Greg

Jon
2005-02-09 02:46:22 UTC
Post by David
That would be the Scholz Rockman. Don't know what he used on the album
though but the Rockman should get you in the ballpark.
Also I've never seen a picture of him playing any guitar other than a
Les Paul. One version of the Rockman you wore on your belt (he got the
idea from the Sony "Walkman") plugged your guitar in and listened
through headphones- kind of a combination
distortion/chorus/echo/practice amp. It sounded real good actually- I
remember borrowing one from a friend in the early 80's. He was an
electronics and studio whiz and supposedly had a studio in his basement
that would rival any in the day.
S***@nospam.com
2005-02-09 03:06:23 UTC
Post by Jon
Post by David
That would be the Scholz Rockman. Don't know what he used on the album
though but the Rockman should get you in the ballpark.
Also I've never seen a picture of him playing any guitar other than a
Les Paul. One version of the Rockman you wore on your belt (he got the
idea from the Sony "Walkman") plugged your guitar in and listened
through headphones- kind of a combination
distortion/chorus/echo/practice amp. It sounded real good actually- I
remember borrowing one from a friend in the early 80's. He was an
electronics and studio whiz and supposedly had a studio in his basement
that would rival any in the day.
I loved my Rockman and I loved that sound. I'd play it all day, at
least until I started having problems with the jacks, mostly from
plugging them into amps and things. It got too noisy after that and I
never did much to repair it.

I still got it laying around somewhere.

Swyck
u***@yahoo.com
2005-02-09 18:40:51 UTC
This looks like a headset amp. Is there something similar that can be
used as a pedal effect?
Georgio
2005-02-09 03:24:29 UTC
Post by u***@yahoo.com
[...]
i read i an interview scholz gave that most of the rythm was played
on a gibson SG...and some "rare" lead parts are a strat with a humbucker..

georgio
--
Yamaha Sa-800
Mexi tely with emg's
home built strat with american electrics
The Chris
2005-02-10 02:56:02 UTC
Post by u***@yahoo.com
[...]
The thing about the Rockman is that it was invented/developed to emulate
the sound of those first two albums - it wasn't used to *record* them. I
think the first album he actually used it on was 'Walk On' - and it's
been downhill ever since :)

The classic Scholz sound was what any typical guitar player of the day
used - his Gold Top LP, and his good Marshalls. However.... he injected a
LOT of studio magic into his tracks - Massive EQ and Compression being
the most obvious.

So, the simple answer is - get a Rockman - that will give you a fairly
close approximation. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some POD patch for
that...
Burnham Treezdown
2005-02-12 07:41:41 UTC
Post by u***@yahoo.com
This may have been asked before, but does anyone know the rig used by
Boston on that song. The opening guitar intro just floors me every
time.
Without buying Rockmans and lots of sophisticated gear there's one cheap, simple
thing you can try, at least if you have humbuckers. Replace your bridge pickup
tone capacitor with something small, like .01 or even .005, then roll your tone
all the way down thru some fairly heavy distortion. Depending on your rig, you
might get surprisingly close.

If not, start saving up....
Georgio
2005-02-12 16:18:10 UTC
Post by Burnham Treezdown
Post by u***@yahoo.com
This may have been asked before, but does anyone know the rig used by
Boston on that song. The opening guitar intro just floors me every
time.
Without buying Rockmans and lots of sophisticated gear there's one cheap, simple
thing you can try, at least if you have humbuckers. Replace your bridge pickup
tone capacitor with something small, like .01 or even .005, then roll your tone
all the way down thru some fairly heavy distortion. Depending on your rig, you
might get surprisingly close.
If not, start saving up....
i have been looking to get that tone for years, and i'm really close now,..

what i did is during the holiday season, i got a DS-1 in a pawnshop and applied
the keely mod to it with some minor variations.. i changed 14 different components
and added one to the clipping diodes..

even if i play in a silverface twin, my friends can't believe the tone i have
right now!!

gerogio
§c©©t§
2005-02-21 17:10:58 UTC
Post by Georgio
i have been looking to get that tone for years, and i'm really close now,..
what i did is during the holiday season, i got a DS-1 in a pawnshop and applied
the keely mod to it with some minor variations.. i changed 14 different components
and added one to the clipping diodes..
even if i play in a silverface twin, my friends can't believe the tone i have
right now!!
gerogio
any recorded clips/mp3/etc so we can hear it?

Gary Hendershot
2005-02-13 06:49:32 UTC
Post by u***@yahoo.com
This may have been asked before, but does anyone know the rig used by
Boston on that song...

I don't know the *precise* equipment list for "Long Time," but at
least the lead guitar parts were played on a Les Paul with P-90s
through Marshall Plexi amps, and double tracked with a Leslie cabinet
on one track. He also played humbucker'd Les Pauls on that recording
for rhythm.

Unfortunately for Sholz, that particular Les Paul with the P-90
pickups got stolen a couple of years later. A luthier was refinished
it, drying the paint by setting it near an open doorway. Some sneaky
jackass slithered up to the door and managed to steal it while the
luthier's back was turned. It was never recovered. Sholz said the
neck had a unique "V" profile that he liked a lot.

C:\Gary_H@>
http://www.gary-hendershot.com/
mailto:***@gary-hendershot.com
mailto:***@gmx.de (junk mail)
Houston, TX USA
Burnham Treezdown
Was that the unfinished-looking one?
Gary Brookshire
2005-02-14 22:43:32 UTC
Check here:
http://www.rockmancentral.com/RockmanCentral/Tour/Marshall.html

I have (or have had) many of the Rockman modules and the X100 and they nail
the sound of the later albums. I can get closer to the 1st album's tone
using one of my old Marshalls and a 70's MXR 6 band EQ pedal.

Gary Brookshire