Infamous Guitarist Replacements
dougal
2006-09-07 17:09:39 UTC
I thought of this while listening to UFO's Gone in the Night, which
features Michael Schenker's replacement, Paul Chapman. Chapman was
pretty good, didn't drastically change the sound (very little, really),
and carried on for a few albums.

Then I thought of Tommy Bolin replacing Ritchie Blackmore in Deep
Purple. In that case he did change the sound significantly, and added
new life to the oldies. If he wasn't a drug addict, he would have
continued to have success with DP and on his own.

So who else can you think of that replaced a high-profile guitarist and
had success (or sucked)?

dougal
PRS GEEK
2006-09-07 17:14:30 UTC
Post by dougal
I thought of this while listening to UFO's Gone in the Night, which
features Michael Schenker's replacement, Paul Chapman. Chapman was
pretty good, didn't drastically change the sound (very little, really),
and carried on for a few albums.
Then I thought of Tommy Bolin replacing Ritchie Blackmore in Deep
Purple. In that case he did change the sound significantly, and added
new life to the oldies. If he wasn't a drug addict, he would have
continued to have success with DP and on his own.
So who else can you think of that replaced a high-profile guitarist and
had success (or sucked)?
Well, "adding" Joe Walsh to the Eagles was a pretty good decision, eh?

Jeff
psalter
2006-09-07 19:47:53 UTC
<<Well, "adding" Joe Walsh to the Eagles was a pretty good decision,
eh?>> Jeff

Didn't Tommy Bolin replace Joe in The James Gang?

Mick Taylor/Ronnie Wood
Jeff Cease/Marc Ford
Peter Green\
Jeremy Spencer/Bob Welch/Lindsey Buckingham
Danny Kirwin/

The following changes due to deaths in the families...

Brian Jones/Mick Taylor
Duanne Allman/Warren Haynes
Steve Clark/Vivian Campbell
Randy Rhodes/Zach Wylde

I know there must be many more...
Tonester
2006-09-07 22:31:38 UTC
Post by psalter
Randy Rhodes/Zach Wylde
Acutally that should be Jake E. Lee, not Zakk.
psalter
2006-09-07 23:19:26 UTC
The Chili Peppers have made some changes...
Damit Spock .. I'm only a Brain Transplant Doctor
2006-09-09 00:20:30 UTC
Post by psalter
The Chili Peppers have made some changes...
Damn ... if they stop hiring herion addicts maybe
they'd last longer !

VampiressX
2006-09-09 00:44:53 UTC
Damn I just posted it at the head of the thread
psalter
2006-09-09 20:58:10 UTC
Sorry V-X, I'm old and I have trouble paying attention...
ASG
2006-09-07 23:28:07 UTC
Post by Tonester
Post by psalter
Randy Rhodes/Zach Wylde
Acutally that should be Jake E. Lee, not Zakk.
Technically Bernie Torme then Brad Gillis before Jake E Lee.

Regards

Andrew
housemouse
2006-09-07 18:00:51 UTC
Post by dougal
So who else can you think of that replaced a high-profile guitarist and
had success (or sucked)?
dougal
Zakk Wylde
Steve Morse
Kirk Hammett
Marty Friedman
Steve Vai
John 5
Vivian Campbell

All did pretty good as "replacements" in my mind.
RichCI
2006-09-07 18:13:11 UTC
Post by dougal
I thought of this while listening to UFO's Gone in the Night, which
features Michael Schenker's replacement, Paul Chapman. Chapman was
pretty good, didn't drastically change the sound (very little, really),
and carried on for a few albums.
Then I thought of Tommy Bolin replacing Ritchie Blackmore in Deep
Purple. In that case he did change the sound significantly, and added
new life to the oldies. If he wasn't a drug addict, he would have
continued to have success with DP and on his own.
So who else can you think of that replaced a high-profile guitarist and
had success (or sucked)?
dougal
Ron Wood replaced Brian Jones in the Rolling Stones and I think he did
a great job. I really like Wood's playing in The Faces too.
RC Moonpie
2006-09-07 18:32:37 UTC
Post by RichCI
Post by dougal
I thought of this while listening to UFO's Gone in the Night, which
features Michael Schenker's replacement, Paul Chapman. Chapman was
pretty good, didn't drastically change the sound (very little, really),
and carried on for a few albums.
Then I thought of Tommy Bolin replacing Ritchie Blackmore in Deep
Purple. In that case he did change the sound significantly, and added
new life to the oldies. If he wasn't a drug addict, he would have
continued to have success with DP and on his own.
So who else can you think of that replaced a high-profile guitarist and
had success (or sucked)?
dougal
Ron Wood replaced Brian Jones in the Rolling Stones and I think he did
a great job. I really like Wood's playing in The Faces too.
Mick Taylor replaced Brian Jones and he did a great job. Woodie
replaced Taylor.
rct
2006-09-07 18:41:28 UTC
Post by RC Moonpie
Mick Taylor replaced Brian Jones and he did a great job. Woodie
replaced Taylor.
I have been replaced.

rct
RC Moonpie
2006-09-07 19:13:10 UTC
Post by rct
Post by RC Moonpie
Mick Taylor replaced Brian Jones and he did a great job. Woodie
replaced Taylor.
I have been replaced.
shocking.

what name did they put on the personalized porta-potty?
rct
2006-09-07 19:15:31 UTC
Post by RC Moonpie
Post by rct
Post by RC Moonpie
Mick Taylor replaced Brian Jones and he did a great job. Woodie
replaced Taylor.
I have been replaced.
shocking.
what name did they put on the personalized porta-potty?
John, of course. Makes it so easy you know.

rct
Derek
2006-09-07 19:43:38 UTC
Umm, how about;

Jake E. Lee for Randy Rhodes
Steve Vai then Jason Becker for Eddie VH
Adrian Vandeberg for John Sykes
Derek Trucks/Warren Haynes for Dickie Betts
Vinnie Vincent for Ace Frehely
GridGuy
2006-09-07 19:54:17 UTC
Post by Derek
Umm, how about;
Jake E. Lee for Randy Rhodes
Brad Gillis was in there, too..even though he didn't make an album with
Ozzy

Randy Rhoads -> Brad Gillis -> Jake E. Lee -> Zakk Wylde

wish Randy was still around...I can't imagine what he would be playing
now
Ryan Elkins
2006-09-07 19:56:32 UTC
Post by GridGuy
Post by Derek
Umm, how about;
Jake E. Lee for Randy Rhodes
Brad Gillis was in there, too..even though he didn't make an album with
Ozzy
Randy Rhoads -> Brad Gillis -> Jake E. Lee -> Zakk Wylde
wish Randy was still around...I can't imagine what he would be playing
now
And that guy between Zakk Wylde and.....Zakk Wylde. Joe something. Never
played a gig or recorded a tune with the Ozzmeister.
housemouse
2006-09-07 20:01:07 UTC
Post by Ryan Elkins
Post by GridGuy
Post by Derek
Umm, how about;
Jake E. Lee for Randy Rhodes
Brad Gillis was in there, too..even though he didn't make an album with
Ozzy
He (Brad Gillis) was on the Speak of the Devil live album. Great
playing IMHO.
Post by Ryan Elkins
Post by GridGuy
Randy Rhoads -> Brad Gillis -> Jake E. Lee -> Zakk Wylde
wish Randy was still around...I can't imagine what he would be playing
now
And that guy between Zakk Wylde and.....Zakk Wylde. Joe something. Never
played a gig or recorded a tune with the Ozzmeister.
I saw Ozzy sometime in the mid '90's and I could have sworn that Joe
kid was with him.
It wasn't Zakk.
Ryan Elkins

Ryan
psalter
2006-09-07 19:55:20 UTC
Tommy Bolin replaced Joe Walsh in the James Gang.

F. Mac went from Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwin to Bob
Welch to Lindsey Buckingham...

The Crowes replaced Jeff Cease with Marc Ford.
housemouse
2006-09-07 19:55:21 UTC
Post by Derek
Umm, how about;
Jake E. Lee for Randy Rhodes
Steve Vai then Jason Becker for Eddie VH
Adrian Vandeberg for John Sykes
Derek Trucks/Warren Haynes for Dickie Betts
Vinnie Vincent for Ace Frehely
I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I saw Whitesnake a couple of times
w/ Vandenberg and Vivian Campbell. Those guys were pretty amazing live,
and did sort of a 2 person guitar solo spot where they traded off a bit
and did some harmony. You don't see that much these days.

IMHO Vandenberg is really underrated.

Vinnie Vincent OTOH (to pull a name from your list) is probably
overrated. He's probably way better than Ace Frehley, but still he's
overrated.
Ryan Elkins
2006-09-07 20:14:18 UTC
Post by housemouse
Post by Derek
Umm, how about;
Jake E. Lee for Randy Rhodes
Steve Vai then Jason Becker for Eddie VH
Adrian Vandeberg for John Sykes
Derek Trucks/Warren Haynes for Dickie Betts
Vinnie Vincent for Ace Frehely
I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I saw Whitesnake a couple of times
w/ Vandenberg and Vivian Campbell. Those guys were pretty amazing live,
and did sort of a 2 person guitar solo spot where they traded off a bit
and did some harmony. You don't see that much these days.
IMHO Vandenberg is really underrated.
Vinnie Vincent OTOH (to pull a name from your list) is probably
overrated. He's probably way better than Ace Frehley, but still he's
overrated.
It's always hard to admit that someone from a hair metal band was talented.
C.C. DeVille, anyone?

And I never did get the whole worship of Frehley by some guitarists. I think
he wrote some real great, memorable riffs ("Deuce" and "Parasite" come to
mind) but nothing that I heard that was jaw-dropping astounding. Just my
opinion.

Another very underrated guitarist, IMO: Mick "Don't call me Bob" Mars. That
dude wrote some sick riffs.

Ryan
housemouse
2006-09-07 20:19:34 UTC
Post by Ryan Elkins
Another very underrated guitarist, IMO: Mick "Don't call me Bob" Mars. That
dude wrote some sick riffs.
Ryan
I agree. I was in typical guitar snob mode when I got a free ticket to
see MC, and was prepared to laugh at Mick Marrs. I didn't laugh. Mick
got the last laugh - I wish I could be as good as he was that night.
d***@altavista.com
2006-09-08 15:59:31 UTC
Post by housemouse
Post by Ryan Elkins
Another very underrated guitarist, IMO: Mick "Don't call me Bob" Mars. That
dude wrote some sick riffs.
Ryan
I agree. I was in typical guitar snob mode when I got a free ticket to
see MC, and was prepared to laugh at Mick Marrs. I didn't laugh. Mick
got the last laugh - I wish I could be as good as he was that night.
I don't know about getting on this Mick Mars bandwagon, but...

I felt exactly the same way when I saw Styx live about 4 years ago:
Holy crap, Tommy Shaw-JY-Glenn Burtnik, all were on fire. Those guys
were having a ball, and it showed. All I knew of Styx was their 3-4
big radio hits from the 70's, but seeing them live...made me pay my
respects. Serious musicians & serious showmen. With Gowan on keys &
whoever their killer drummer was, that was one hell of a lineup.

RF
dougal
2006-09-08 16:21:48 UTC
A few new thoughts...

Did Ozzy have some of the most intense tryouts ever? You think of the
guys he hired and wonder, what did the guys that didn't make it sound
like?

I saw Whitesnake with Vandenberg and Vai and that was a true stadium
show. With Szarzo and Aldridge, Whitesnake's lineup was as good as it
gets for hard rock. To be fair though, Whitesnake also had John Sykes
and Mel Galley, two more excellent guitarists. Galley's Trapeze work
especially is one of my favorites.

Ted Turner left Wishbone Ash and was replaced by Laurie Wisefield. That
lineup produced some great stuff. That's a good example of a band that
you could argue got better with the new guy.

Who was Paul McCartney's guitarist in Wings that OD'd, and who was his
replacement? Was that Laurence Juber?

I'm still trying to find the move that could equal the "McClain
Stevenson quits MASH after the first season" fiasco; you know, the
person that thought he was hot shit, quit his band, and then watches
his career crash and burn.

dougal
Nil
2006-09-08 16:30:01 UTC
Post by dougal
Who was Paul McCartney's guitarist in Wings that OD'd,
Jimmy McCulloch
Post by dougal
and who was his replacement? Was that Laurence Juber?
Juber was in one version of Wings, but I don't know if he was
McCulloch's direct replacement.
Kevin Vang
2006-09-08 17:08:15 UTC
Post by dougal
I'm still trying to find the move that could equal the "McClain
Stevenson quits MASH after the first season" fiasco; you know, the
person that thought he was hot shit, quit his band, and then watches
his career crash and burn.
Mick Taylor
Joe Perry (temporarily)
Randy Bachman
David Lee Roth (or was he kicked out?)
Axl Rose (took the novel approach of driving the rest of the band out)
Gary Richrath
reply to: kevin dot vang at minotstateu dot edu
Daniel Dreibelbis
2006-09-09 01:58:50 UTC
Post by Daniel Dreibelbis
Post by dougal
I'm still trying to find the move that could equal the "McClain
Stevenson quits MASH after the first season" fiasco; you know, the
person that thought he was hot shit, quit his band, and then watches
his career crash and burn.
Randy Bachman
Randy's an interesting case.

According to Randy, he quit The Guess Who. According to Burton, he,
Jim Cale and Gary Petersen fired him in NYC.

The first attempt back was a long slog, as he formed Brave Belt with
his brother and with Chad Allan, the original singer of what became The
Guess Who. They decided to follow a country-rock direction, which didn't
go over well with audiences. Even when Fred Turner joined, it didn't
exactly set the world on fire (a shame, as the second Brave Belt album
with Turner had some good songs on it).

Allan quit, Randy's brother Tim replaced him, and with a heavier
approach and a name change, BTO wound up having a great run and a second
wind for Randy.

Randy quit BTO twice - both as a result of the meddling of their
manager Bruce Allen. The first time was when Allen got the rest of the
band to gang up on him and demand that the band go in a sleazier
direction, which Randy, as a practicing Mormon, didn't feel comfortable
with (with Randy gone, BTO would do two more albums, both in the
sleazier direction, and both hitting the cutout bins as soon as they
were released). The second time, Randy quit when Bruce made it clear he
saw BTO as an oldies act and saw no point of having them do new records.

(oh, I'm forgetting the middle period - when Randy, Tim and Fred
reformed BTO with Gary Petersen drumming - they did two albums, one
live, but they disintegrated when Fred decided not to go on tour with
BTO on the Van Halen "5150" tour, as he'd made a promise to his wife
he'd stay home. BTO did the tour as a power trio before Petersen injured
himself and the band fell afoul of a lawsuit involving the band's name).

Randy's had some interesting stuff happen in-between - he formed
Ironhorse in the 1980s and actually had a couple of hit singles with
them (the first Ironhorse album is amazing, as strong as the first three
BTO albums with some cutting-edge production). He did a really strong
solo album with _Any Road_ in the nineties (those who really hated his
nasal vocals with BTO should note he took a more Mark Knoplerish
approach with his singing on this, and it suits him well - he also went
to his warehouse and broke out his old gear, so you're hearing his
Gretsches, Garnet amps and Herzog for the first time in a long time), he
had a fair bit of success with his _Every Song Tells A Story_ CD, DVD
and shows.

These days, when he's not touring with Burton or on his own, Randy's
doing a DJ gig with the CBC (and on Sirius, 137 I believe) on Saturday
nights with his _Vinyl Tap_ show - he's great at waxing nostalgic and
telling stories about the old days (like seeing Les Paul and Mary Ford
play a dinner theatre in Winnipeg from an interesting perspective), as
well as spinning a lot of recordings from his record collection. Some of
the themes (New Orleans, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, the history of the
guitar, one-hit wonders) are quite fascinating.
--
Dan Dreibelbis, Guitar Nerd - Better Living Through Home Recording
Current song - "Year Of The Angry Rabbit"
Jon R. Pickens
2006-09-11 20:30:25 UTC
Post by Ryan Elkins
Post by housemouse
Post by Derek
Steve Vai then Jason Becker for Eddie VH
I'd hardly call landing a gig with DLR (much as I love him) as
"replacing" EVH.
Post by Ryan Elkins
Post by housemouse
Post by Derek
Adrian Vandeberg for John Sykes
Yeah, but Sykes was the one that you heard on the record... What all
did Vandenberg actually record that made the radio/MTV? Now, he was on
the follow-up album, but really, the 1987 album (with Sykes) was *the*
Whitesnake album.

And on that record that Vandenberg did in '89...what's it called...
Slip of the Tongue... (I cheated and looked it up)... Wasn't Steve
Vaile the recorded guitarist???

(looking again)

According to Wikipedia (believe at your own risk...):

"Due to an injury, Adrian Vandenberg was unable to perform on this
recording. Steve Vai played all guitars on the album."
Post by Ryan Elkins
Post by housemouse
Post by Derek
Derek Trucks/Warren Haynes for Dickie Betts
Those two are some BAAAAD mofos... Saw 'em live last year. Great
show.
Post by Ryan Elkins
Post by housemouse
Post by Derek
Vinnie Vincent for Ace Frehely
Vinnie Vincent OTOH (to pull a name from your list) is probably
overrated. He's probably way better than Ace Frehley, but still he's
overrated.
Vinnie had the ability to be pretty good. His tone was so horrendous
that you can hardly tell though... He did co-write some pretty great
Kiss tunes, even later in the 90's, but overall, Bruce Kulick was the
real king of the Frehley replacements.
Post by Ryan Elkins
It's always hard to admit that someone from a hair metal band was talented.
C.C. DeVille, anyone?
Hey... I liked, and to a certain degree still enjoying hearing
Poison... but C.C. is hard to listen to.
Post by Ryan Elkins
And I never did get the whole worship of Frehley by some guitarists. I think
he wrote some real great, memorable riffs ("Deuce" and "Parasite" come to
mind) but nothing that I heard that was jaw-dropping astounding. Just my
opinion.
Eh... Deuce was Gene's. Ace just did the solo. The song was written
when Kiss was still a 3-piece w/out Frehley. Parasite is great though.
Post by Ryan Elkins
Another very underrated guitarist, IMO: Mick "Don't call me Bob" Mars. That
dude wrote some sick riffs.
Actually... Aren't those Nikki Sixx's riffs? He is/was the primary
songwriter in the Crue.

~jp
Thad
2006-09-12 12:08:17 UTC
Post by Jon R. Pickens
Yeah, but Sykes was the one that you heard on the record... What all
did Vandenberg actually record that made the radio/MTV? Now, he was on
the follow-up album, but really, the 1987 album (with Sykes) was *the*
Whitesnake album.
Well, he (Vandenberg) re-recorded the solo to 'Here I Go Again' and
butchered it. Sykes' is a million times better.
Post by Jon R. Pickens
Actually... Aren't those Nikki Sixx's riffs? He is/was the primary
songwriter in the Crue.
I'm pretty sure you're right.
Thad
Jon R. Pickens
2006-09-12 21:20:28 UTC
Post by Thad
Well, he (Vandenberg) re-recorded the solo to 'Here I Go Again' and
butchered it. Sykes' is a million times better.
Indeed... I've never gotten the chance, but I've always wanted to hear
his playing with Blue Murder. I've been told it was some pretty good
stuff.

~jp
Derek
2006-09-07 20:30:56 UTC
Post by housemouse
I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I saw Whitesnake a couple of times
w/ Vandenberg and Vivian Campbell. Those guys were pretty amazing live,
and did sort of a 2 person guitar solo spot where they traded off a bit
and did some harmony. You don't see that much these days.
I saw WS in the 80's too. Vandenberg was with them, but not Campbell.
Don't remember if there was a 2nd guitarist at that time or not. It
was at the height of their fame. I was working undercover catching
dealers at the time, and what I remember most about that show was it's
erotic content, and there were at least two couples having sex during
the show in their seats. Been to a ton of concerts, but hadn't seen
that before.
psalter
The Yardbirds and John Mayall couldn't keep decent guitarists...
Keith Adams
that before.
EF in FLA
2006-09-08 00:38:28 UTC
Post by Keith Adams
Nothing lower and more fucked up than a cop.
Until you need one.

ef
Derek
2006-09-08 17:05:15 UTC
Post by Keith Adams
Nothing lower and more fucked up than a cop.
Except some guy who hides behind a computer screen and spreads
negativity every chance he gets. BTW I am not, nor have I ever been a
cop.
Peter Pan
2006-09-09 03:40:55 UTC
From a cop to you "FUCK YOU ASS WHIPE"
Keith Adams

housemouse
Probably the most successful replacement ever was David Gilmour.
Mark Bedingfield
2006-09-08 01:44:24 UTC
Post by housemouse
Post by dougal
I thought of this while listening to UFO's Gone in the Night, which
features Michael Schenker's replacement, Paul Chapman. Chapman was
pretty good, didn't drastically change the sound (very little, really),
and carried on for a few albums.
Then I thought of Tommy Bolin replacing Ritchie Blackmore in Deep
Purple. In that case he did change the sound significantly, and added
new life to the oldies. If he wasn't a drug addict, he would have
continued to have success with DP and on his own.
So who else can you think of that replaced a high-profile guitarist and
had success (or sucked)?
dougal
Probably the most successful replacement ever was David Gilmour.
I was waiting for that;-)

The Yardbirds too.

Mark
Jon R. Pickens
2006-09-12 21:23:34 UTC
I didn't read the whole thread, so I'm sure someone else mentioned
it... But I'd consider Lindsey Buckingham a damn successful
replacement, even though I'm a bigger fan of Peter Green.

~jp
Peter Huggins
2006-09-12 23:01:20 UTC
a ways back in the thread the following was posted:

<<< From: ***@peoplepc.com (crow)
Domenic Troiano replaced Joe Walsh in the James Gang. They went on to
release their 2 best records (in my very subjective opinion): Straight
Shooter & Passin' Through.
Later, Dom replaced Randy Bachman in the Guess Who - a band that is
beyond redemption (again, omvso) no matter how great their lead
guitarist.
Dom's solo records Tricky & The Answer are well worth seeking out
-- jepp
if it sounds good...IT IS GOOD! >>>

This is reasonably accurate (Domenic`s first solo album was self titled
'Domenic Troiano', not 'The Answer', which is the title of one of the
standout songs on the record, every guitarist needs to hear that solo).
Troiano was the best guitarist to come out of Canada IMO, with the
possible exception of Lenny Breau.
But I don`t think the two albums he did with James Gang are better than
'James Gang Rides Again' or 'Yer Album'. They do however absolutely
predate both 'Bang' and 'Miami', the albums featuring Tommy Bolin (who
was great in his own right).

Troiano was always a bit ahead of the game. His two solo albums for
Mercury were produced by Keith Olsen at Sound City studio in Van Nuys. A
short while later Mick Fleetwood used both Olsen and Sound City for the
first Fleetwood Mac album with Buckingham/Nicks, whose debut album was
also recorded there and produced by Olsen.
Before his Mercury contract, Troiano had a band called 'Bush', more than
20 years before the better known band of the same name. They had the
same manager (KRLA Deejay Reb Foster) and record label (Dunhill) as
Three Dog Night, and Troiano`s song 'I Can Hear You Calling' was covered
by 3 Dog, appearing on the flip side of the hit single 'Joy To The
World', That record went to #1 and sold three million copies, but
Troiano never received a penny for his efforts . Prior to that, Troiano
was in a legendary blue-eyed soul band known as The Mandala, a live act
fondly remembered as devastating by those lucky enough to have seen them
play.... The Keyboard player and drummer from Mandala went on to play
with Lou Reed and Alice Cooper.... Before that, Domenic played with
Ronnie Hawkins in The Hawks, Later to be known as The Band.....

After an introduction by guitarist Bill Andersen, Troiano and the
legendary Ted Greene enjoyed a mutual appreciation society. Ted even
dedicated his book "Chord Chemistry" to Domenic. Tragically, they both
passed away within two months of each other, just over a year ago. Both
of Troiano`s Mercury albums have been released on a single CD titled
'The Toronto Sound' (funny title considering he was living in L.A. at
the time and they were both recorded there). There is also a compilation
CD of his later work for Capitol and a '20th Century Masters'
compilation; these are hard to find in the U.S. but readily available on
ebay. Everything he did is HIGHLY recommended. P

BTW, what about Steve Morse joining Deep Purple ?

" I`d dance with you Maria, but my hands are on fire " - Bob Dylan

" We had a knob, and all we had to do was turn it." - Les Paul

Grins, Peter
http://community.webtv.net/guitarmaniax/THISISTHE

http://community.webtv.net/guitarmaniax/unfinished3

http://community.webtv.net/guitarmaniax/PhotoReserveNo1

http://community.webtv.net/guitarmaniax/MYFRIEND

Jack Wagner
2006-09-07 18:52:38 UTC
Post by dougal
I thought of this while listening to UFO's Gone in the Night, which
features Michael Schenker's replacement, Paul Chapman. Chapman was
pretty good, didn't drastically change the sound (very little, really),
and carried on for a few albums.
Then I thought of Tommy Bolin replacing Ritchie Blackmore in Deep
Purple. In that case he did change the sound significantly, and added
new life to the oldies. If he wasn't a drug addict, he would have
continued to have success with DP and on his own.
So who else can you think of that replaced a high-profile guitarist and
had success (or sucked)?
dougal
Billy Burnette and Rick Vito replacing Lindsey Buckingham in Fleetwood
Mac was pretty much a bust. Although one could argue that that train
was at the last depot either way.
markd
2006-09-07 21:18:43 UTC
Post by dougal
I thought of this while listening to UFO's Gone in the Night, which
features Michael Schenker's replacement, Paul Chapman. Chapman was
pretty good, didn't drastically change the sound (very little, really),
and carried on for a few albums.
Then I thought of Tommy Bolin replacing Ritchie Blackmore in Deep
Purple. In that case he did change the sound significantly, and added
new life to the oldies. If he wasn't a drug addict, he would have
continued to have success with DP and on his own.
So who else can you think of that replaced a high-profile guitarist and
had success (or sucked)?
dougal
Besides those already mentioned...

Carlos Cavazo for RR in Quiet Riot
Vivian Campbel for Steve Clark in Def Leppard
Reb Beach for George Lynch in Dokken
EF in FLA
2006-09-07 21:17:01 UTC
Post by dougal
So who else can you think of that replaced a high-profile guitarist and
had success (or sucked)?
Dave Amato replaced Gary Richrath in REO Speedwagon. Adequate, but just not
the same blistering riffs that Gary laid down. I've been listening to their
live album You Get What You Play For quite a bit lately. Gary was the man.

ef
Daniel Dreibelbis
2006-09-08 01:48:26 UTC
Post by dougal
I thought of this while listening to UFO's Gone in the Night, which
features Michael Schenker's replacement, Paul Chapman. Chapman was
pretty good, didn't drastically change the sound (very little, really),
and carried on for a few albums.
Then I thought of Tommy Bolin replacing Ritchie Blackmore in Deep
Purple. In that case he did change the sound significantly, and added
new life to the oldies. If he wasn't a drug addict, he would have
continued to have success with DP and on his own.
So who else can you think of that replaced a high-profile guitarist and
had success (or sucked)?
Randy Bachman in the Guess Who. First replaced by both Greg Leskiw and
Kurt Winter (so they turned into a two-guitar band with some interesting
harmonic banter). Leskiw quits during a tour so they get another
Winnipeg boy, Donnie MacDougal. Both Winter and MacDougall are turfed
due to drug problems. Then the band lucks out by getting Domenic
Troiano, who's a killer guitarist but comes with the "two-album curse".
Two albums later, Burton Cummings quits.

Mick Ralphs quit Mott The Hoople to join Bad Company, so Mott hires
Luther Grovesnor (AKA Ariel Bender). Some awful, awful solos there.

Peter Banks noodles about on the first two Yes albums. Is replaced by
Steve Howe, who kicks Yes up several notches in musicianship. Howe
replaced by Trevor Rabin, who adds more of a pop sheen and winds up
giving the band hit singles.

Richie Kotzen replaces C.C. DeVille in Poison. Although the difference
in musicianship improves the band , Poison fans don't like it,
preferring to listen to "Unskinny Bop" .
dougal
2006-09-08 16:01:06 UTC
Post by Daniel Dreibelbis
Troiano, who's a killer guitarist but comes with the "two-album curse".
Did Troiano join the James Gang before or after Tommy Bolin? I had one
of the Troiano/James Gang records and I swear the date had it coming
out before the Bolin/James Gang records.
Post by Daniel Dreibelbis
Mick Ralphs quit Mott The Hoople to join Bad Company, so Mott hires
Luther Grovesnor (AKA Ariel Bender). Some awful, awful solos there.
I'm a Hoople fan, and would pretty much agree that Bender wasn't as
good a soloist as Mick Ralphs, but he didn't change the style of the
band, which was led by Ian Hunter. Bender did a couple of decent albums
with Widowmaker after he left Hoople.
Frank Piotrowski
2006-09-08 01:53:41 UTC
Reeves Gabrels for Mick Ronson - Bowie's band

Dave "Clem" Clempson for Peter Frampton - Humble Pie

Dave "Buckets" Colwell for Mick Ralphs - Bad Company

Ray Major for Mick Ronson for Luther Grosvenor (alias Ariel Bender) for Mick
Ralphs - Mott the Hoople

Martin Barre for Davy O'List for Tommy Iommi (for one week) for Mick
Abrahams - Jethro Tull

Harvey Mandel for Henry Vestine - Canned Heat
Nil
2006-09-08 02:52:35 UTC
Post by Frank Piotrowski
Reeves Gabrels for Mick Ronson - Bowie's band
Not exactly. There was a whole parade of guitarists between Ronson and
Gabrels, starting off with Earl Slick and including Adrian Belew,
Robert Fripp, Stevie Vaughn, Peter Frampton, and (it seems like) a cast
of thousands.
RC Moonpie
Carlos Alamar played on a ton of Bowies great stuff, killer player.
RC Moonpie
2006-09-08 14:21:34 UTC
Davy O'List? How long was he in the band? Five minutes?
d***@altavista.com
2006-09-08 15:43:16 UTC
Post by dougal
I thought of this while listening to UFO's Gone in the Night, which
features Michael Schenker's replacement, Paul Chapman. Chapman was
pretty good, didn't drastically change the sound (very little, really),
and carried on for a few albums.
Chapman was in a no-win situation with UFO. Schenker's trademark tone
& phrasing was a huge part of UFO's sound/personality and Chapman,
while a very good guitarist, was just another gunslinger with no unique
sound of his own who was trying to sound *like" Schenker. I felt bad
for him, if he tries to stick to the same sound he's just a guy copying
another guitarist; if he lets his own sound through, then he's changing
the chemistry of the band. No win.
Post by dougal
Then I thought of Tommy Bolin replacing Ritchie Blackmore in Deep
Purple. In that case he did change the sound significantly, and added
new life to the oldies. If he wasn't a drug addict, he would have
continued to have success with DP and on his own.
Here's an opposite case: Tommy Bolin's sound/tone/technique was a full
180 degree detour from Blackmore's stuff. I admire them for that, and
I think "Come Taste The Band" is one of the best Purple albums IMO:
Strong songwriting, excellent vocals by Coverdale & Hughes, and a
healthy dose of funk & soul courtesy of Hughes & Bolin. I never get
tired of listening to that album.
Post by dougal
So who else can you think of that replaced a high-profile guitarist and
had success (or sucked)?
While time has passed them by, I really like Vinnie Moore with the
current UFO lineup. He's not copping Schenker, and the songs on "You
Are Here" are all surprisingly strong.

RF
RC Moonpie
2006-09-08 16:41:37 UTC
Post by d***@altavista.com
Post by dougal
I thought of this while listening to UFO's Gone in the Night, which
features Michael Schenker's replacement, Paul Chapman. Chapman was
pretty good, didn't drastically change the sound (very little, really),
and carried on for a few albums.
Chapman was in a no-win situation with UFO. Schenker's trademark tone
& phrasing was a huge part of UFO's sound/personality and Chapman,
while a very good guitarist, was just another gunslinger with no unique
sound of his own who was trying to sound *like" Schenker. I felt bad
for him, if he tries to stick to the same sound he's just a guy copying
another guitarist; if he lets his own sound through, then he's changing
the chemistry of the band. No win.
I liked chapmans stuff a lot, especially the version of them doing
Mystery Train. I saw UFO with chapman once, played his ass off,
sounded great.
d***@altavista.com
2006-09-12 15:22:35 UTC
Post by RC Moonpie
I liked chapmans stuff a lot, especially the version of them doing
Mystery Train. I saw UFO with chapman once, played his ass off,
sounded great.
I've seen him live too, I'm not saying he doesn't have chops. Good
sound, decent tone, but his style just struck me as generic, that's all

RF
VampiressX
2006-09-09 00:44:24 UTC
dougal wrote:

Dave Navarro replacing John Frusciante
John Frusciante replacing Dave Navarro

:)
VampiressX
2006-09-09 00:45:38 UTC
OH, John Frusciante replacing Hilel Slovak
General Specific
David Gilmour replaced Syd Barrett
Burnham Treezdown
2006-09-09 08:51:55 UTC
On 7 Sep 2006 10:09:39 -0700, "dougal" <***@att.net> wrote:

older stuff....

Poco - Paul Cotton replaced Jim Messina.

Skynyrd - Steve Gaines (eventually) replaced Ed King.

Beatles - Paul Mcartney takes over from Stu Sutcliffe.

Quarrymen - George Harrison replaced Eric Griffiths.

Johnny Cash - Carl Perkins replaced Luther Perkins.

Buffalo Springfield - every picker in California replaced Neil Young.

Byrds - horse's ass replaced David Crosby.

Beach Boys - Glen Campbell, then Bruce Johnston replaced Brian Wilson (road
only).

Kingston Trio - John Stewart replaced Dave Guard.

Chad Mitchell Trio - John Denver replaced Chad Mitchell.

Supremes - Cindy Birdsong replaced Flo Ballard.
Rich Dickerson
2006-09-10 21:41:03 UTC
Post by Burnham Treezdown
Beatles - Paul Mcartney takes over from
Stu Sutcliffe.
Macca was already in the band...he just changed instruments. Stu was
well-liked, but he wasn't much of a musician. Him leaving just saved
them the trouble of asking him to leave. They may not have wanted to do
that, but it would have happened eventually.

~Rich
See my gear at the link!
http://community.webtv.net/one4rich/RichsGuitarPage
Burnham Treezdown
2006-09-11 05:17:33 UTC
Post by Rich Dickerson
Post by Burnham Treezdown
Beatles - Paul Mcartney takes over from
Stu Sutcliffe.
Macca was already in the band...he just changed instruments. Stu was
well-liked, but he wasn't much of a musician. Him leaving just saved
them the trouble of asking him to leave. They may not have wanted to do
that, but it would have happened eventually.
And that's why I said, "took over from" instead of "replaced". According to some
(not all) sources, Paul was the most unhappy with Stu's bass playing but since
Stu was John's friend, and John was the boss, he couldn't do much about it until
Stu decided to quit.

Now that's John's been safely dead for over 25 years, and George's voice is
stilled, Paul can at last "tell the truth" about who deserves the most credit
for the Beatles.
Thad
2006-09-11 12:23:00 UTC
Post by Burnham Treezdown
Now that's John's been safely dead for over 25 years, and George's voice is
stilled, Paul can at last "tell the truth" about who deserves the most credit
for the Beatles.
I never could stand Paul.
IMNSHO Ringo has more talent.
I really mean that.
Thad
GeneralLee
2006-09-10 15:27:37 UTC
IIRC, didn't Midge Ure play in Thin Lizzy for a short time (another
unsafe haven for s-stringers) and then played with Motorhead? I recall
reading an interview somewhere, with Lemmy somewhere who said Midge Ure
played with them one night. Wearing tight, lime green hotpants. It may
have been another ex-Lizzy guitarist, but Midge Ure seems the type to
wear lime green hotpants...
dougal
Daniel Dreibelbis
2006-09-10 22:45:24 UTC
Post by GeneralLee
IIRC, didn't Midge Ure play in Thin Lizzy for a short time (another
unsafe haven for s-stringers)
yes, he did! Midge jumped in to play on the _Black Rose_ tour after
Gary Moore quit Lizzy (due to his disgust with Phil's drug and alcohol
abuse) - and from all reports, acquitted himself quite well. In fact,
Phil wanted Midge to stay on, but Midge decided to stay with Ultravox.
Post by GeneralLee
and then played with Motorhead? I recall
reading an interview somewhere, with Lemmy somewhere who said Midge Ure
played with them one night. Wearing tight, lime green hotpants. It may
have been another ex-Lizzy guitarist, but Midge Ure seems the type to
wear lime green hotpants...
actually, that would be Brian Robertson, aka Robbo. Brian joined
Motorhead after Fast Eddie bailed on them in Toronto during the infamous
"Stand By Your Man" session with Wendy O. Williams - he happened to be
in Canada at a drug treatment center and heard about Lemmy's plight, so
he offered to help salvage the _Iron Fist_ tour. Although Lemmy had
often said that Robbo was "the wrong man for the job", due to his irking
the audience by wearing the aforementioned hot pants and ballet
slippers, as well as quickly falling off the wagon again, he did survive
long enough to play on the _Another Perfect Day_ album and tour. I've
heard two tracks from that album, and they're amazing, especially
"Shine", which opens with this fire-breathing intro and has a lot of
Lizzy-isms throughout.
GeneralLee
2006-09-11 16:04:27 UTC
Post by GeneralLee
[...]
Top stuff, I knew it was an ex-Lizzy guitarist I'd read about...I'll
make sure i get hold of that album if i can, I'm a big fan of all the
Lizzy stuff, so if Robbo's had his hand in it it's bound to rock.
crow

dougal
dougal
2006-09-11 02:03:50 UTC
Post by crow
Domenic Troiano replaced Joe Walsh in the James Gang. They went on to
release their 2 best records (in my very subjective opinion): Straight
Shooter & Passin' Through.
I knew it! In college I was in a bar once (how'd that happen?) and
during a trivia game the host asked the question "Who replaced Joe
Walsh in the James Gang?" I answered Troiano and the guy insisted I was
wrong. Man, they owe me a drink.

dougal
Burnham Treezdown
No, Bolin replaced Walsh. Troiano was after Bolin. You owe those guys drinks.
goaltender 475
2006-09-11 05:45:16 UTC
x-no-archive:yes
Post by Burnham Treezdown
No, Bolin replaced Walsh. Troiano was after Bolin. You owe those guys drinks.
Don't be too quick to buy those drinks, Troiano replaced Walsh in
1971, Bolin replaced Troiano in 1973. Source: Rolling Stone
Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll. (...but I knew it anyway and saw the band
in those days, just thought you skeptics might like a reference...)