Recommendations for a good guitar appraiser
Scott
2005-04-06 13:53:37 UTC
All -

I'm looking for a good appraiser. I've seen guitar listings on Ebay that
describe the guitar as having just been returned from appraisal at Gruhn's,
but I can't find any info on the Gruhn's appraisal service; only their
guide.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance -

- Scott
James D
2005-04-06 16:31:21 UTC
Post by Scott
All -
I'm looking for a good appraiser. I've seen guitar listings on Ebay that
describe the guitar as having just been returned from appraisal at Gruhn's,
but I can't find any info on the Gruhn's appraisal service; only their
guide.
Suggestions?
Thanks in advance -
- Scott
Scott, I haven't read up on Gruhn's lately, but in the past, you could call
them and arrange to ship your guitar to them for appraisal. Their
appraisals are usually spot on, but keep in mind that they are much more
likely to correctly examine a 40's acoustic than an 80's electric. They are
really into vintage acoustics. I've talked with them in the past, and they
are good, fair and reputable.

The only downsides are the shipping costs and the time involved.

If you are in a large city, there are plenty of good appraisers, if you just
seek them out. Also, unless your guitar is a real rarity, using sources
like Vintage Guitar, and comparing prices help a lot. Of course, if there
is a guitar show in the area, you'll find plenty of appraisers there.

I don't know what kind of guitar you need appraised, but, for example, if it
was a very old Strat, an appraiser would, for example, read the code numbers
off of the pickup wiring and check if it matches the wiring used in that
particular year. In brief, in serious appraisal, it is the tiny details
that really verify a true original vintage instrument.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

JD
Scott
2005-04-06 17:00:25 UTC
Thanks, JD!

Incidentally, this item, a '56 tele neck, spec's out correctly; I'm looking
for an expert that can spot a subtle detail that would determine if it is
indeed what it claims to be or a fraud.

I think I'll have it carbon-dated.

- Scott
JD
James D
2005-04-07 05:50:36 UTC
Post by Scott
Thanks, JD!
Incidentally, this item, a '56 tele neck, spec's out correctly; I'm looking
for an expert that can spot a subtle detail that would determine if it is
indeed what it claims to be or a fraud.
I think I'll have it carbon-dated.
- Scott
Scott, if you are in the "90+% sure it's the real thing" department, contact
one or more vintage dealers and arrange for an appraisal.

Believe me, if you look for a bit, you'll find a dealer or collector who
specializes in 1950's Fender Tele necks. (For example, a long time ago, I
used to ship guitars, mostly vintage Gretsch models, to guitar shows. My
job was to check the binding, and determine whether it was original or
artificially replaced to look "distressed." Being a Fender guy, I really
wasn't familiar with binding, but once I was shown what to look for, it was
quite interesting.)

Necks are easy to ship, plus you can insure them, photograph every square
inch of it in advance, and send them certified and registered with return
receipt requested. (This is basically the same method used to ship
expensive watches, rare coins, and legal documents.)

Congratulations on a great find! jim
Post by Scott
Post by Scott
seek them out. Also, unless your guitar is a real rarity, using sources
like Vintage Guitar, and comparing prices help a lot. Of course, if there
is a guitar show in the area, you'll find plenty of appraisers there.
I don't know what kind of guitar you need appraised, but, for example,
if
Post by Scott
it
JD
Jon
- Scott
Scott
2005-04-07 13:02:38 UTC
Thanks, Jon -

Actually, I found their site shortly after posting. I called them and will
be shipping them the neck for appraisal.

- Scott
- Scott
John King
2005-04-08 18:51:49 UTC
Post by Jon
Post by Scott
but I can't find any info on the Gruhn's appraisal service; only their
guide.
Suggestions?
Thanks in advance -
- Scott
Glad you found him. He's only the easiest guitar
guy to find on all of the Internet!!!

All you have to do is type - guitars.com - into
your browser location bar, and there he is!
Just owning that URL makes him a rich man...

Regards,
John King

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie'
until you can find a rock." - Will Rogers