Soundproofing a room? (or rather, noise reduction)
Dave Turner
2006-04-29 05:40:43 UTC
What materials are usually used to soundproof a room in a home? Actually im
not after soundproofing, but noise reduction - I just want to crank things a
bit more without pissing off my beloved neighbours :)
Grinner
2006-04-29 08:30:32 UTC
egg cartons
damagedgoods
2006-04-29 13:13:27 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Grinner
Post by Dave Turner
What materials are usually used to soundproof a room in a home? Actually
im not after soundproofing, but noise reduction - I just want to crank
things a bit more without pissing off my beloved neighbours :)
egg cartons
Nope. They don't do anything but muffle a bit of high end, which usually
never gets through the wall anyway.

TJ
s***@gmail.com
2006-04-29 09:46:09 UTC
headphones? :)
Dave Turner
2006-04-29 13:35:53 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
headphones? :)
yeah mate thats what im using at the moment after hours, and i love my
headphones (just as i love my neighbours! lol), but it'll never compare to
cranking up the real deal
EDTHEWARD
2006-04-29 16:10:44 UTC
Post by Dave Turner
Post by s***@gmail.com
headphones? :)
yeah mate thats what im using at the moment after hours, and i love my
headphones (just as i love my neighbours! lol), but it'll never compare to
cranking up the real deal
i did some research on this, basically there is no cheap way to truly try
and soundproof. if you use egg cartons or carpet, you are basically stopping
the bouncing of soundwaves around the room which helps you hear the real
tone, but the sounds are still going THROUGH the wall. peopel with bass
dampeners on the wall stop the reflection of the bass inside the room, but
the sound is also still going through the wall.

double drywall with insulation in between for home use is the best bet most
likely, with making sure everything is sealed properly around the wall and
the door.

btw, I am in no way an expert on this, I am just translating what I read.
PRS GEEK
2006-04-29 19:17:39 UTC
Post by EDTHEWARD
Post by Dave Turner
Post by s***@gmail.com
headphones? :)
yeah mate thats what im using at the moment after hours, and i love my
headphones (just as i love my neighbours! lol), but it'll never compare
to cranking up the real deal
i did some research on this, basically there is no cheap way to truly try
and soundproof. if you use egg cartons or carpet, you are basically
stopping the bouncing of soundwaves around the room which helps you hear
the real tone, but the sounds are still going THROUGH the wall. peopel
with bass dampeners on the wall stop the reflection of the bass inside the
room, but the sound is also still going through the wall.
Exactly... Egg cartons are a myth when it comes to "soundproofing"..
Fercryin' out loud, egg cartons are just paper.
Post by EDTHEWARD
double drywall with insulation in between for home use is the best bet
most likely, with making sure everything is sealed properly around the
wall and the door.
Yep... I did that and it works well.
Post by EDTHEWARD
btw, I am in no way an expert on this, I am just translating what I read.
Neither am I, but I too did a ton of research before I decided how to go
about it. I replied in some detail in the "Home Studio" thread. I just did
the best I could do without spending $100,000 on a room.
--
Jeff

http://tinyurl.com/8sz9r
Gary Hendershot
2006-05-03 04:03:12 UTC
Post by PRS GEEK
Egg cartons are a myth when it comes to "soundproofing"..
Fercryin' out loud, egg cartons are just paper.

Egg cartons on the wall surfaces will do a modest job of breaking up
standing waves, a good job of attenuate high frequencies, a GREAT job
of fueling combustion.

C:\Gary_H@>
http://garyhendershot.com/
***@gmx.de (junk mail)
PRS GEEK
2006-05-03 05:13:22 UTC
Post by Gary Hendershot
Post by PRS GEEK
Egg cartons are a myth when it comes to "soundproofing"..
Fercryin' out loud, egg cartons are just paper.
Egg cartons on the wall surfaces will do a modest job of breaking up
standing waves,
Yeah, maybe... In THAT room, only... Not gonna keep unwanted sound waves OUT
of the next room.

Myth...
Post by Gary Hendershot
a good job of attenuate high frequencies, a GREAT job
of fueling combustion.
Maybe... No one is really worried about the highs from room to room.

Low frequencies are what travel between the walls...
--
Jeff

http://tinyurl.com/8sz9r
Gary Hendershot
2006-05-03 04:34:22 UTC
...but the sounds are still going THROUGH the wall. peopel with bass
dampeners on the wall stop the reflection of the bass inside the room,
but the sound is also still going through the wall.

A properly engineered wall can essentially stop audible bass frequencies
from being heard just on the other side of the wall. The key to stopping
low frequencies is MASS. The more massive the wall, the better the low
frequency attenuation.

Novice sound engineers tend to concentrate on walls and miss the
importance of the ceiling, floor (if not sitting on a concrete foundation),
windows, doors, and air ducts.

double drywall with insulation in between for home use is the best bet
most likely, with making sure everything is sealed properly around the
wall and the door.

The least expensive soundproofing I've done has been to remove the
wallboard (a.k.a. -- sheetrock, gypsum board) from one side of a wall,
fill the void between the studs with small utility brick, and put new
wallboard back up in place of the old wallboard that was removed, then
tape and float as normal. The brick becomes the insulation.

For the ceiling, sheet lead is typically used in a professional
installation. Same goes for the walls.

If you want to go overboard just using wallboard, then use the so-called
water vapour resistant "greenboard," which is a wallboard that's commonly
used for some exterior soffit and fascia. It has a *lot* more mass for a
given thickness than regular wallboard.

C:\Gary_H@>
http://garyhendershot.com/
***@gmx.de (junk mail)
PRS GEEK
2006-05-03 05:19:15 UTC
Post by Gary Hendershot
...but the sounds are still going THROUGH the wall. peopel with bass
dampeners on the wall stop the reflection of the bass inside the room,
but the sound is also still going through the wall.
A properly engineered wall can essentially stop audible bass frequencies
from being heard just on the other side of the wall. The key to stopping
low frequencies is MASS. The more massive the wall, the better the low
frequency attenuation.
That is precisely correct...
Post by Gary Hendershot
Novice sound engineers tend to concentrate on walls and miss the
importance of the ceiling, floor (if not sitting on a concrete
foundation),
windows, doors, and air ducts.
True... Windows, doors and ducts carry frequencies between rooms even after
you have your walls fixed up...

There are inexpensive remedies to keep sound away from an adjacent room...
If you want to keep it from going upstairs too???? Get the wallet out and
figure a 6 foot basement ceiling, because the same thing applies.
--
Jeff

http://tinyurl.com/8sz9r (recorded in as close to sound proof between
adjacent rooms, as a normal person can afford).
Burnham Treezdown
2006-04-29 16:04:26 UTC
Post by Dave Turner
What materials are usually used to soundproof a room in a home? Actually im
not after soundproofing, but noise reduction - I just want to crank things a
bit more without pissing off my beloved neighbours :)
To block sound (as opposed to absorbing reflections) you need MASS. Lead is the
ultimate sound blocker but Home Depot isn't selling lead siding these days. Try
this:

http://www.soundsuckers.com/faqproducts.htm#2
tai fu
2006-04-30 02:19:23 UTC
If you live in a townhouse or apartment where the wall is nothing more than
drywall and possible insulation, then its kinda hard, probably like thick
fiberglass insulation or whatever but its not that good. Concrete is really
good at stopping sound though so maybe fill the inner drywall space with
concrete?
Jim
2006-05-01 00:22:22 UTC
Post by Dave Turner
What materials are usually used to soundproof a room in a home? Actually im
not after soundproofing, but noise reduction - I just want to crank things a
bit more without pissing off my beloved neighbours :)
Much easier to gift wrap a pair of ear plugs!

Double doors, like an air lock. HEAVY carpeting spaced off the walls
and ceilings can be the cheapest, because you can sometimes find used
carpet for free or very cheap. Only take it from a no pet home, and
clean before putting it up. Acoustic panels. Even cheap acoustic
ceiling tiles. Heavy carpet on the floors. Block any windows.
VampiressX
2006-05-01 00:37:55 UTC
Post by Dave Turner
What materials are usually used to soundproof a room in a home? Actually im
not after soundproofing, but noise reduction - I just want to crank things a
bit more without pissing off my beloved neighbours :)
You won't be able to achieve total soundproofing but good noise
attentuation can be achieved with an airtight space. A room within a
room, so to speak that is accoustically insulated with say Soundproofing
Matting (dense rubber foam (not neoprene)) on both sides of the air gap
with absorbant cotton batting in between, and perhaps some vibration
pads to limit the amount of vibration passing through the structural
elements. Don't forget the doors either - acoustic blankets would be good.

A good supply of air wouldn't go astray either.
:)
lab~rat >:-)
2006-05-02 16:20:05 UTC
On Mon, 01 May 2006 10:37:55 +1000, VampiressX
Post by VampiressX
Post by Dave Turner
What materials are usually used to soundproof a room in a home? Actually im
not after soundproofing, but noise reduction - I just want to crank things a
bit more without pissing off my beloved neighbours :)
You won't be able to achieve total soundproofing but good noise
attentuation can be achieved with an airtight space. A room within a
room, so to speak that is accoustically insulated with say Soundproofing
Matting (dense rubber foam (not neoprene)) on both sides of the air gap
with absorbant cotton batting in between, and perhaps some vibration
pads to limit the amount of vibration passing through the structural
elements. Don't forget the doors either - acoustic blankets would be good.
A good supply of air wouldn't go astray either.
:)
Don't forget that sound can travel through attic spaces as well...
--
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
VampiressX
2006-05-03 04:18:27 UTC
Post by lab~rat >:-)
Don't forget that sound can travel through attic spaces as well...
Yeah well the whole idea of the "room-within-a-room" concept that was
insulated from all points of contact should cover the attic spaces by
default.